Notices

TSL Firestorm back box - OTT or not???

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 09:33 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question TSL Firestorm back box - OTT or not???

Is TSL's Firestorm back-box considrered to be a bit OTT with regard to its 5" diameter and alleged noise? Indeed, is it the noiseiest box out there, or are there others noiseier or at least at the same decibel level...?

I was considering one for my Classic WRX 4-door but wanted to glean a genaral concensus amongst ScoobyNet members first.

Any input will be greatfully received...

Thanks in advance,
John.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:35 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NUR spec is the loudest AFAIK, and it is LOUD
Old 06 September 2007, 09:42 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 500
NUR spec is the loudest AFAIK, and it is LOUD
...And so are the prices!!!

Cheers though, I was under the impression that they are loud buggers... not prepared to part with the wonga, though
Old 06 September 2007, 10:12 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

had firestormer on my old classic with center pipe wasnt that bad if fact quite liked it
Old 06 September 2007, 12:31 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You could just get a custom-made exhaust.

You can have it as loud as you want then, will exceed a NurSpec if that's your thing. Cheaper and tailpipe options.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:12 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
You could just get a custom-made exhaust.

You can have it as loud as you want then, will exceed a NurSpec if that's your thing. Cheaper and tailpipe options.
Indeed, that's what I was thinking. Do you know of any custom fabricators in and around the Leics, Derbs, Northants, etc.-type areas?

Thanks
Old 06 September 2007, 01:24 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Hi,i have a firestorm with centre decat i think its great, very nice when going slowish and very very nice when accelerating hard.2002 sti prodrive style,Jim.
Old 06 September 2007, 01:39 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrJim
Hi,i have a firestorm with centre decat i think its great, very nice when going slowish and very very nice when accelerating hard.2002 sti prodrive style,Jim.
Yeah, I've heard the Ti-phoon (the titanium flame-treated version of the Firestorm) on a blob-eye WRX and they do sound fabulous at slow speeds - really liberates and magnifies the flat-4's #...dugga dugga...#. God knows what they must be like at full battle-cry! .... However, I'm worried about upsetting my neighbours and don't wish to find an anvil through my bonnet/engine one morning!

Oh, decisions... decisions...
Old 06 September 2007, 02:01 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

go on go for it you know you want to ,you wont be disappointed,Jim.
Old 06 September 2007, 03:13 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

My neighbour always said my car sounded like a helicopter on tickover and like a jet at full chat,that's a firestorm backbox and de cat pipe.
what more could you want.
Old 06 September 2007, 03:40 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

...I think it's gonna be a Classic case (see what I did there?) of b o l l o x to the neighbours - got to realise the #...DUGGA...DUGGA...#
Old 06 September 2007, 05:40 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

i,ve not had a single complaint from my neighbours some of who are elderly,in fact some of them like the sound but i always take it easy in built up areas Jim.
Old 06 September 2007, 06:22 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

i found the TSL to loud.

it sounded great when the engine was on full song but it really anoyed me when curising on the motorway off boast at 2.5KRPM. this is when i like the exhaust to be a bit quitier.

i have got a straight through center section aswell which would have made it louder.

i have got the prodrive back box on now and thats much quitier.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:19 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Is TSL's Firestorm back-box considrered to be a bit OTT with regard to its 5" diameter and alleged noise? Indeed, is it the noiseiest box out there, or are there others noiseier or at least at the same decibel level...?

I was considering one for my Classic WRX 4-door but wanted to glean a genaral concensus amongst ScoobyNet members first.

Any input will be greatfully received...

Thanks in advance,
John.
best loud exhaust i had on my classic was an afterburner. great noise and somehow didn't drone too much on long runs.

utterly hated the firestorm, must have stayed on for all of a month. looks way too big on the car, a horrible rasp of a note instead of a scooby growl.

not a fan as you may have guessed good fit and quality though
Old 06 September 2007, 09:13 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i,ve got a 02 sti with prodrive sportscat straight through centre pipe a tsl firestorm backbox, its very loud! sounds great when out for a play but does your head in on a long run. if your after a custom made box try mr. tyre on aylestone rd. just down from graham goodes they used to do powerflow systems not been there for awhile but i think they still do them. i,m not far from leicester myself,do you know of any scooby meets in the area at all?
thanks dean.
Old 07 September 2007, 07:56 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Cockney Wideboy
i found the TSL to loud.

it sounded great when the engine was on full song but it really anoyed me when curising on the motorway off boast at 2.5KRPM. this is when i like the exhaust to be a bit quitier.

i have got a straight through center section aswell which would have made it louder.

i have got the prodrive back box on now and thats much quitier.
Same as me, I couldn't stand it after a couple of years so swapped for a ppp backbox - way better
Old 07 September 2007, 08:02 AM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

Noise is great, but an exhaust that 'drones' on a long run will get on your t*ts eventually.

I had a HKS Hiper, fantastic sound (especially the pops and bangs on the overrun), loved it to bits, but couldn't hold a conversation in the car at motorway speeds to the droning.

Swapped for a Magnex which is a little weak sounding but much more 'real world'.
Old 07 September 2007, 08:05 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

I have a TSL firestorm BB on my 02 STi, sounds lovely on tick over, nice and raspy (sp) when accelerating hard.

I agree can be a bit annoying when on a long run, but I'm planning to get a bung made up for non noisy days
Old 07 September 2007, 10:11 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti.dean
...tsl firestorm backbox, its very loud! sounds great when out for a play but does your head in on a long run. if your after a custom made box try mr. tyre on aylestone rd. just down from graham goodes...
Thanks for all the opinion folks. One thing that's come across is the droning on the motorway... I do the M1/A14/M11 typically twice a month for about 2 - 2.5 hours a pop! This point is quite pertinent - have to seriously think about it...

Regarding ScoobyWorld's Vortex, I like it and was told by the chap there that its sweet sounding but not as out-and-out loud is the 'storm (which is no bad thing re. the above). Thing is, I dont like the spiral-style baffling inside - does this soot up over time giving the impression of a nice black circular void?

Owners of ScoobyWorld's Ninja or Ninja II? - any thoughts on these?...

It's looking more and more like I'll get a custom one with a 4 or 4.5" tail... sti.dean, I didn't realise Mr Tyre did custom zorsts! I'll get meself down there and see what he says...
Old 07 September 2007, 10:48 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by sti.dean
...i,m not far from leicester myself,do you know of any scooby meets in the area at all?
thanks dean...
Sorry folks for bending my own thread! ...

Hi again dean

Funny you should ask that... Got an email from FTOOC the other day (from the days when I had a MIVEC), and a new regular Jap car meet has sprung up - ALL Jap cars welcome. Ironically, the next one is the 5th event and it's this w/end - Sunday 9th!!! See the link...

JAPMIDS :: View Forum - Sunday, September 9th 12:00

John
Old 07 September 2007, 10:54 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Sorry folks for bending my own thread! ...

Hi again dean

Funny you should ask that... Got an email from FTOOC the other day (from the days when I had a MIVEC), and a new regular Jap car meet has sprung up - ALL Jap cars welcome. Ironically, the next one is the 5th event and it's this w/end - Sunday 9th!!! See the link...

JAPMIDS :: View Forum - Sunday, September 9th 12:00

John

...We are taking the event to a much nicer venue that has been Newly renovated throughout with over 200 car parking spaces in Rothley that is situated right next to the A6 between Loughborough and Leicester.

Here is a map to get to the Red Lion:
LE7 7NJ - Google Maps

The Red lion
933 Loughborough Road,
Rothley,
Leicestershire
LE7 7NJ
Telephone: 01162302488
Old 07 September 2007, 11:18 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

Hi got to admit they drone abit on motorways but hey i just whack the stereo up,Jim.
Old 07 September 2007, 11:21 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrJim
Hi got to admit they drone abit on motorways but hey i just whack the stereo up,Jim.
Indeed. Like chasing big bhp AND good fuel consumption... you can't have it both ways, heh!!!
Old 07 September 2007, 11:36 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

I had a TSL Typhoon (same BB just different tip) on my bugeye WRX and I loved it. Even the neighbours eventually learnt to love the sound . Its a 2.5 inch entry so if you want bigger BHP in the future it won't be much good.

Buy and enjoy .

Wolfie.
Old 07 September 2007, 12:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wolfie28
...Its a 2.5 inch entry so if you want bigger BHP in the future it won't be much good.

Buy and enjoy .

Wolfie.

This is part of my dilemma...

My car already has a very good condition, but not very loud, s.s. aftermarket system on it (from OEM catted-downpipe back). It's a nice, but rare, 3 inches(!) in diameter - so I am loathed to get rid of the centre section anyhow.

Thing is, this system doesn't have the joint for the back-box in the OEM position - the centre section is in 2 parts and the back box, therefore, has a very short entry pipe.

This is why, I think, I best get a custom one made up to the pattern of this back box, allowing me to keep my 3" non-OEM patterned centre sections ...
Old 07 September 2007, 12:14 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

...thus saving me money over a lesser smaller-bore replacement system anyhow!
Old 07 September 2007, 12:38 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

Indeed. Like chasing big bhp AND good fuel consumption... you can't have it both ways, heh!!!
Don't you believe it I can get over 230 miles out of a tank and I'm running 432 bhp and I don't drive it like a little old lady in a micra.
Old 07 September 2007, 12:47 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burns
Don't you believe it I can get over 230 miles out of a tank and I'm running 432 bhp and I don't drive it like a little old lady in a micra.
Blimey! So the part-throttle map doesn't fully explain that. I bet you cant wipe the smile from your head, right?
Old 07 September 2007, 09:03 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the info on jap meet would be interested but can,t make this sunday i,m off down to santapod for the euoropean drag racing finals.are the meets going to be a regular thing? if so could you let us now when the next one is
thanks dean.
Old 07 September 2007, 10:19 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Same as me, I couldn't stand it after a couple of years so swapped for a ppp backbox - way better
you lasted a couple of years
took me a week before it got too much i'm obviuosly getting to old (at 23 )

Quick Reply: TSL Firestorm back box - OTT or not???