Notices

tappets on a classic...

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2007, 11:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tappets on a classic...

after the well publisiced thread on here about my scoob making noises, and after a couple of wise heads actually coming and listening to the car in person, it seems the problem indeed does lie with a noisy tappet.

after discussing this with mickyjeff when he kindly came and listened to the car, he was prepared to have a go at adjusting the tappets. ie car jacked up, rocker cover off etc etc.

after visiting tsl motorsport today, he messaged me saying that theyre adjusted by shims and not a locknut etc. now this is way over my simple mind, but it basically means he wouldnt be able to do it.

has anyone on here experience of adjusting/replacing tappets. for the record the problem is on the passenger side of the manifold/headers, if that helps.

rough costs?
mainly labour id hazard a guess?
big job or not too bad?
time taken? (as i only have this car and mrs dont drive just yet)

ive been in touch with jase @ scoobybits a couple times, but bless the guy has been mega busy, hence why im fishing for info on here, and have had a couple of kind fellows come to my house on their own backs (much appreicated mick and chris!!)

info, experiences are welcome please.
cheers

andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 18 August 2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: terrible spelling
Old 19 August 2007, 10:32 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UK spec Impreza's are Outer Shim ( shim on top of the bucket ) - see if you can beg,steal or borrow the tool to compress the bucket to remove the shim.
Standard clearances are:
Inlets 6 to 8 thou
Exhausts 8 to 10 thou.
If you get stuck for shims,API helped me out with some when I did mine.