Notices

Induction kit noise

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2007, 12:02 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Induction kit noise

Just fitted a K&N Typhoon to mt Sti and although I haven't put my foot down yet (awaiting remap tomorrow), the noise is far louder than what I remember hearing from any other Scoob, ever!

Maybe it's because I'm sitting in the car and that they don't sound as loud when you can also hear the engine, exhaust, etc, but...fookin hell......it sounds like a giant hissing shusshing thing!!

Do they all sound like that from inside the car??

It's not even an "induction" noise.....it just goes SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. ....PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 09 August 2007, 07:34 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martyrobertsdj
Just fitted a K&N Typhoon to mt Sti and although I haven't put my foot down yet (awaiting remap tomorrow), the noise is far louder than what I remember hearing from any other Scoob, ever!

Maybe it's because I'm sitting in the car and that they don't sound as loud when you can also hear the engine, exhaust, etc, but...fookin hell......it sounds like a giant hissing shusshing thing!!

Do they all sound like that from inside the car??

It's not even an "induction" noise.....it just goes SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. ....PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
yes they all sound like that. pretty much anyway. if you look on your intercooler you will see a pipe that goes to the recirculatng (little black/grey round thing) dump valve and then through to you air filter. the wooshing noise is the boost being dumped out of your intercooler into your air filter and out into the engine bay. you can drive the car normally without a remap. (although some people say its best not to) subaru ecu is a learning ecu so if you reset the ecu it will help it learn faster. if you thinking of getting any other mods i would do them first before a remap otherwaise your have to pay out for each remap. ive been driving mine for ages with a K&N and no remap, its been fine. ive just fitted a front mount intercooler so i dont get the wooshing through the air filter anymoer as ive fitted a external dump valve. hope this helps.
Old 09 August 2007, 09:34 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Aaaah, so it's the recirc!!

Although...............shouldn't the dump valve be clamped shut until I close the throttle?

Maybe I've misunderstood?
Old 09 August 2007, 10:43 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

the air filter sucks air into the turbo as you accelerate, k&N make a wooshing noise compared to old filter. then when you let go of the pedal (or change gear letting go) then the dump will come out. i have just fitted my front mount so i get the wooshing noise of the air filter sucking in on acceleration, then the tsshh from the dump valve when i let go of pedal. so its kind of like wooossshhh tttsssshhh woooossshhh tsssshhhh lol get it?