Fast Idle 1st test:

CO: 0.634 (FAIL)
HC: 191 (PASS - JUST)
Lambda: 1.009 (PASS)

Fast Idle 2nd test

CO: 0.555 (FAIL)
HC: 99 (PASS still pretty high though)
Lambda: 1.007 (PASS)

Looks from this that my AFR is jsut fine (14.8:1 ish) so labmda sensor is doing its job fine and closed loop running is happening OK.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but....I'm reconing my CAT (like 2 3 months old!!) is fecked - what say you?
Old 02 August 2007, 07:40 PM
Steve Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

just a thought but did u take the car for a good thrash and get it red hot before u took it in
Old 02 August 2007, 07:57 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Scooby
just a thought but did u take the car for a good thrash and get it red hot before u took it in
How ould this help?
Would it help the lambda readings?
Old 02 August 2007, 08:38 PM
Kjartan
Scooby Regular

the cats need to be hot for them to work right
Old 02 August 2007, 08:46 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

what if you havent any cats....

oh wait, i know the answer.... your fcuked
Old 02 August 2007, 09:14 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's got a sports cat, you will need to get it hot, just take it for a good run, or sit there with it running at 3000rpm for a few minutes.
Old 03 August 2007, 08:47 AM
dr_jones
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the Cat was got good 'n' hot though extended runnng did see the HCs nearly halve!

Think i'm gonna have to 'risk' replacing the cat and slinging it back for a re-test and see it there's any diffrence - what a PITA (and unnecessary expense) for something that I don't want there anyway!

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2007, 10:04 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Yup, the cats not doing enough conversion, personally I think sports cats are a bad idea, they are no more legal than a decat (despite what they tell you - have they tested it, no, so its not legal) so stick an OE cat back on, the underfloor is easiest to change!

Simon
Old 03 August 2007, 10:09 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

without seeming to hijack the thread...

a centre cat, will that pass the emission test with a backbox and decat downpipe.

or would you need a cat downpipe and the centre decat to pass?

andy
Old 03 August 2007, 01:09 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

You would need both to pass en 'emission test' (as in type approval, if you didn't Subaru wouldn't fit them!) To pass the MOT either will do, but it doesn't make the car legal.

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 03 August 2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:29 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Sorry disagree there, you only need one to pass the MOT emmisions test, so of course it's legal.

I have a rotated turbo with Decat downpipe, and have a standard centre cat for the emmisions.

CO2 was 0.27 at the last MOT.

Subaru only put two on to make the car 'Greener', and fall well within the legal limit.
Old 03 August 2007, 01:48 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Err you miss the point, construction and use regs bar you from changing any emissions critical item, which a cat amongst others, clearly is, as you haven't carried out a full emissions test to confirm it will still pass (which Prodrive do for the PPP and it is thus legal) its illegal EVEN if it would pass. The MOT test is not a a declaration that the car is legal, just that it passes some basic checks.

Subaru do not fit a second cat to make it greener, no-one would they cost too darn much, in fact in Australia which used to have more relaxed standards they took out the underfloor cat and fitted a restrictor to match the back pressure.

And if you read my post PROPERLY you will see I did not say you needed two for the MOT (though a test station who knows the rules could fail you under C&R if they beleived that it would fail!).

Your car IS illegal (as is mine, I'm not preaching, just being accurate!), although under the UK system at the moment no-one is likley to challenge it.

Simon
Old 03 August 2007, 02:00 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by The rookie
Err you miss the point, construction and use regs bar you from changing any emissions critical item, which a cat amongst others, clearly is, as you haven't carried out a full emissions test to confirm it will still pass (which Prodrive do for the PPP and it is thus legal) its illegal EVEN if it would pass. The MOT test is not a a declaration that the car is legal, just that it passes some basic checks.

Subaru do not fit a second cat to make it greener, no-one would they cost too darn much, in fact in Australia which used to have more relaxed standards they took out the underfloor cat and fitted a restrictor to match the back pressure.

And if you read my post PROPERLY you will see I did not say you needed two for the MOT (though a test station who knows the rules could fail you under C&R if they beleived that it would fail!).

Your car IS illegal (as is mine, I'm not preaching, just being accurate!), although under the UK system at the moment no-one is likley to challenge it.

Simon
Complete and utter nonsense.

Road side emission tests and MOT emission tests are done purely and simply on the emissions that vehicles expel not how many cats your car does or doesn't have.

For example My best mate has a Norris Designs built Evo 6 with circa 550 - 600bhp.

It has no cats whatsoever and it passed its MOT. This was NOT a dodgy MOT he had his catted MR2 done the week before and the Evo produced less.

So the bottom line is plain and simple. If your car passes the emissions test it is legal if it doesn't its illegal.

Why people over complicate things with rhetoric statements like the one above is beyond me.
Old 03 August 2007, 02:08 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
To pass the MOT either will do, but it doesn't make the car legal.

Simon
I read your post PROPERLY, just thought you were misleading people.

Maybe you should have elaborated first time!!
Old 03 August 2007, 02:32 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dr_jones
Unfortunately the Cat was got good 'n' hot though extended runnng did see the HCs nearly halve!

Think i'm gonna have to 'risk' replacing the cat and slinging it back for a re-test and see it there's any diffrence - what a PITA (and unnecessary expense) for something that I don't want there anyway!

Personally, I wouldn't go replacing the cat yet.

Firstly how old are the spark plugs? A dodgy plug will screw up your HCs, so replace them as a matter of course. (btw don't get ripped off with plug prices..don't pay more than £40 tops for a set of NGKs). If a plug has been at fault, it will need a good run to clean out any unburned deposits, so don't expect immediate improvement.

Also if the car is old, or used in traffic alot, the combustion chambers and inlet tract could be fouled up. In which case, if it hasn't been done, running some decoke in a can and some fuel injector cleaner mixed in with a near empty fuel tank (couple of gallons) and a good blast will help that.

Last edited by Shark Man; 03 August 2007 at 02:38 PM.