Notices

Tranny fluid black...

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2007, 04:22 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid black...

A buddy of mine asked me if i could help him change his fluids for his 2000 impreza AWD. I drained what at first thought must be the oil to later find out was the trans fluid.

The fluid was just as black as the engine oil which confused me. Is it supposed to be like that? Every car i have owned has had bright pink trans fluid.

I drained about 1gallon of it out the tranny. Do i just add the right amount of new fluid down where the dipstick is for it...i didn't see an easier way.

Hopefully you guys can help. Thanks
Old 23 July 2007, 08:12 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 380 Likes on 302 Posts

edited due to lack of clarification initially...............

alyn

Last edited by stockcar; 23 July 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 23 July 2007, 11:41 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Is this an auto or manual box before you put 75w90 in it
Old 23 July 2007, 12:04 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Scooby Newbie

It's an auto. It looked just like an oil drain plug but slightly bigger pan and farther back on the car just past the axle.
Old 23 July 2007, 04:05 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in that case you need ATF fluid, the pink/red stuff for the auto box.

to be honest,if you dont know the difference between the gearbox and sump plug drians you shouldnt be doing it !!

that could of been a costly error,if you refilled the gearbox with engine oil or vice versa !!!

get some ATF fluid,might as well drian the whole lot and do a total refresh.

also,it might change gear better now as if the auto fluid was black,thats not good.
Old 23 July 2007, 06:23 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

As above. atf for an auto, Red/pink in colour and filled through the dipstick hole.
Old 23 July 2007, 06:39 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Scooby Newbie

Is there a pan for the front differential box? I'm still just trying to figure out why it was so black and if it was actually something else that AWD cars have. I know nothing about subaru's and only recently started doing stuff on my car.

We didn't add oil to the tranny. we just put more oil in with the old oil but we already fixed that. Drained it all out and started new. Now i just have to figure out what to put in to replace the mysterious black fluid.
Old 23 July 2007, 06:55 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Is there a pan for the front differential box? I'm still just trying to figure out why it was so black and if it was actually something else that AWD cars have. I know nothing about subaru's and only recently started doing stuff on my car.

We didn't add oil to the tranny. we just put more oil in with the old oil but we already fixed that. Drained it all out and started new. Now i just have to figure out what to put in to replace the mysterious black fluid.
auto gearbox fluid can go black if it has had a thrashing and has not been changed.
as far as i am aware the front diff is part of the transmission.
if it was defo the auto transmission oil that was black you need to replace it with atf oil.

are you sure it was not just the engine oil you drained?it is just your posts are not very clear
Old 23 July 2007, 07:29 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 380 Likes on 302 Posts

if its an auto then you will have a seperate front diff housing as well...................should be dipstick to drivers side for diff and dipstick to passenger side for box.........

alyn
Old 23 July 2007, 10:53 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Scooby Newbie

Okay(2000 auto impreza(sporty edition). here's whats going on since i guess my first post wasn't the greatest.

We were supposed to change his oil. Ended up draining some unknown black fluid. It looked just like the oil pan except more square and it was located further back in the middle behind the front axle.

It had the same drain layout/bolt that the oil pan did. I'm just trying to figure out(haven't even looked at it since it happened(too busy)) is what exactly i drained. If it was tranny fluid then thats fine it just confuses me why it was black. But thats just a simple time consuming fill down the dipstick.

I know nothing about AWD cars and the front diff so i guess it could be that but would that have a drain plug and be right in the middle?? I'll have another look at it tonight when i have more time. Anyone have a picture of a 2000 impreza under car view?

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 23 July 2007 at 10:56 PM.