Notices

BOV Dump Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2007, 08:55 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV Dump Valve

I know there not every1's cup of tea, but i like them.

Im after the type that makes a kinda flutter/chatera kind of noise
Not the usual Pttshhh noise they come in, personally i think they sound better.

Now im not sure what they are called, i have been told by some ppl that it is a waste gate others said chattera, i dont have a clue myself tho lol

Can i have your info on them please, thats if you know what im on about.

Is there a site maybe where i can here some sound samples maybe?

I need your help please.
Old 12 July 2007, 09:00 PM
rangerblue
Scooby Regular

I was after that too mate,someone said it was wastegate chatter that makes noise ,must admit i`ve never heard it on a scooby usualy hear it from rs turbos,cossies etc
Old 12 July 2007, 09:01 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Well from what I have been told, The chattering sound is only made when the dump valve is blanked off, causing the excess charge to rebound back onto the turbo vaines, sounds great, ***** turbos, I may be wrong!
Old 12 July 2007, 09:08 PM
essex_jamie
Scooby Regular

its actually wasategate chatter and most cossie's do it by not having a dumpvalve on and the turbo gases/air filters out through the air filter cone, and the cone bolts straight onto the turbo this makes trhe chatter noise,

Also alot of the ford boys reakon the noise comes from the air recircing back into the turbo and hitting the turbo blades causing the air to be cut making the chatter noise

Hers my cosworth engine see how the air filter is directly off the turbo (mine used to dump valve and chatter at the same time due to bigger turbo, RS500 i/c and big boost):

Old 13 July 2007, 08:09 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,
Nice car btw mate, im a big fan of the Cossies!!

I have heard ths kind of wastgate sound on a cupple of Scoobys now, so i know for sure they make them.

Just trying to fing a certain make/model that i can look for...
Old 13 July 2007, 08:26 AM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

The term Wastegate chatter is a bit misleading as the wastegate dosen't make any noise that you could here. It is as stated the noise of the air rushing backwards accross the blades of the turbo while it is still spinning forwards. You do not have to buy anything to get this noise apart from 2 blanking plugs. There will be a pipe on the bottom of the dumpvalve going back to the air intake, simply block off the hole on the air intake and block off the pipe that comes from the dumpvalve, and hey presto turbo will chatter like a goodun. Although I would not recommend this on an VF series turbo as I have read on here the blades on these Turbo's are rather fragile and break off.
Old 13 July 2007, 09:21 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Its not the so called air rushing back, its compressor surge, this happens when the compressor blades stall (the airflow seperates from the back of the blades) like an aircraft wing, look at any compressor map and there is a surge line that dictates the lowest flow (and therefore air velocity) versus pressure ratio (boost) when you shut the throttle the airflow goes very low (funnily enough) and the boost very high (or still trying to get to normal target, which is usually enough) when the blades stall the air stops being pumped and the blades spin with little resistance, the pressure ratio drops until they unstall, pressure rises again until the stall etc, very bad for the turbo, easy to get on a scoob, just blank off the dump/BO/recirc valve and chatter away!

Compressor surge is made worse (more likley) but poor quality airflow into the compressor, just like the wing analogy, turbulent airflow makes the air seperation from the back of the blade more likely, and some cars use 'flow straighteners' ahead of the compressor intake to improve this, its the poor airflow quality that almost certainly caused the surge on the Scoobynet project car, OEM's do a lot of work to make sure the intake gives a good quality (as well as quantity) of flow, I doubt many aftermarket silicon hose manufacturers can or do!

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 13 July 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 13 July 2007, 11:43 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

So the chatter i will hear from the BOV is compressor stall?

I dont want to mod my standard BOV and dammage my turbo, so that is ruled out.

However, which BOV will i get this noise im after? also 1 which wont dammage my turbo, a point in the right direction if possible please...
Old 13 July 2007, 12:04 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Disregarding all this wastegate chatter talk for a moment, the BOV you want my friend is the HKS SSQV
Old 13 July 2007, 12:14 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I fitted a power filter,fits directly to maf,,and a dump valve.Fitted and tested the filter first and to my suprise it made a better sound than a dv in my opinion,,its like an echoed chatter.So then fitted the dump valve and has the loud pssssss sound aswell....Sounds Sweet!!!
Old 13 July 2007, 01:20 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

No the noise from the BOV is the venting noise, a properly set up BOV stops compressor stall, an induction kit (on inatke resonater delete) means you hear more of that noise without venting to atmosphere.

BOV's were first fitted in the first place to prevent compressor stall, only later were they used as recirc valves as well to improve economy and responce.

Simon

Last edited by The rookie; 13 July 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 13 July 2007, 01:48 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

I didn't have any issues when i had a dump valve fitted to my classic.... however this is a very different story on my Newage..

The dump valve was binned rather quickly after i realised that it was killing the in gear pick up of the car. I at first i assumed it was leaking somewhere but after fitting another of a different make i realised it was just dump valves in gereral.
Old 13 July 2007, 01:57 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phildodd06
So the chatter i will hear from the BOV is compressor stall?

I dont want to mod my standard BOV and dammage my turbo, so that is ruled out.

However, which BOV will i get this noise im after? also 1 which wont dammage my turbo, a point in the right direction if possible please...
There are no BOV's that will make the noise your after, considering the price of a second hand turbo or a new dump valve, they're about the same, so if you crave the chatter the choice is yours. A friend of mine is running a TD04 with no BOV and has lasted 20k miles so far.
Old 13 July 2007, 01:58 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
Disregarding all this wastegate chatter talk for a moment, the BOV you want my friend is the HKS SSQV

I have a HKS SSQV BOV on my tek3'd scoob and it doesnt resemble the chatter / flutter noise in any way at all ... and that was the only reason I bought it!!

Is there anything you need to do with these HKS BOVs to get closer to that noise??
Old 13 July 2007, 05:07 PM
essex_jamie
Scooby Regular

you wont get chatter/ cutting or compressor surge from any d/v or bov
Old 13 July 2007, 06:08 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

My sti 3 started making very pronounced "chattering/fluttering" noises when I had a front mounted intercooler fitted. I also have an HKS SSQV dump valve fitted and I can hear bothe the chattering and the squeak from the ssqv.
Old 13 July 2007, 07:42 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Right... What i want i cant buy! understood! i dont want to dammage my turbo by moddin my standard 1 either.

Am i right in thinking, if i get an induction kit, i will hear some kind of chatter?
Will the induction kit suck in hot air and kill my performance tho?

Getting there slowly lol
Old 13 July 2007, 07:48 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Go for the Blitz Power filter,,you wont be dissapointed Awsome sound and improved performance
Old 13 July 2007, 07:51 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Hi mate....

I have just put a HKS SSQV on my 02 STI.....

The noise is fantastic... not another dump valve pshhhhhh but a distinctive vee psh like the rally car changing gear....

Here is a photo of my ssqv on the Scoobypart site, I emailed it to Tim and he put it on his site...

Scoobyparts Ltd HKS SUPER SQV BLOW OFF VALVE

not cheap but you on ly get what you pay for..... highly recommended!!!

Andy
Old 14 July 2007, 01:25 AM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

How does it help performance?
Old 14 July 2007, 01:38 AM
shanea
Scooby Regular

Go Fast Bits 2006

a bit of an explanation
Old 14 July 2007, 10:48 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Cheers shanea,
Do you have a sound clip of yours by any chance?
Old 15 July 2007, 02:40 PM
terence
Scooby Regular

sooo, say you wernt to fussed about your turbo (as your replacing it soon) and you wanted a go at having this chatter / flutter, am I right in saying you'll get this (all be it perhaps not that loud) by removing your BOV, blanking off the holes and bobs your uncle?
Old 15 July 2007, 04:54 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

On my old classic, I found with a frount mount intercooler, cold air intake and a TD05 18G with a forge VTA you do get the kind of noise your after, TBH it gets annoying after a while, even the sound of the induction kit trying to suck the road surface up got annoying.

If I was going to get another DV it would be the turbosmart dual port, then it still works as a recirc at normal running but vtas when pressing on.
Old 15 July 2007, 05:20 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Yes blank off the BOV and youll get compressor surge, and the chattering noise you want.....

WRC cars (motorsport in general) don't run dump valves at all, the turbos will last the life of an event but a stalled spinning compressor will respond quicker when the throttle opens, besides, anti-lag means the engine pumps a lot more air at 'closed throttle' anyway!

Simon
Old 15 July 2007, 06:01 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
On my old classic, I found with a frount mount intercooler, cold air intake and a TD05 18G with a forge VTA you do get the kind of noise your after, TBH it gets annoying after a while, even the sound of the induction kit trying to suck the road surface up got annoying.

If I was going to get another DV it would be the turbosmart dual port, then it still works as a recirc at normal running but vtas when pressing on.
Is the Turbo smart dual port a good BOV thn? anybody have a sound clip of 1?
Old 15 July 2007, 10:50 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

I found this on Youtube, its the kind of sound i have been on about, just to be clear, there is no BOV that i can buy to get this sound, correct?
YouTube - Tial 50mm Blow-Off Valve on Subaru WRX
Make sure you watch the vid all the way through as you can hear it more while he is driving.
Old 16 July 2007, 09:45 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Thats easy, they've wound up the preload on the BOV so it only starts to open once the compressor is getting into surge, you can do that on most aftermarket BOV by adjusting the spring tension, but not much point really!

Simon
Old 16 July 2007, 07:53 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

Ok!

This BOV i have here, what are ppl oppinions on it...

TSL MOTORSPORT | Subaru Saab Mitsubishi | parts | repair | servicing | performance tuning | UK

I think im going to order it.
Old 16 July 2007, 08:55 PM
bromy2000
Scooby Regular

Go for this one TSL MOTORSPORT | Subaru Saab Mitsubishi | parts | repair | servicing | performance tuning | UK more of a wooosh than anything else, or the dual port best of both worlds only hear it when your giving it some!

Quick Reply: BOV Dump Valve