Notices

Installing Defi gauges- power wire(s)??

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2007, 03:16 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Defi gauges- power wire(s)??

I'm in the process of having a set of three Defi gauges installed in my newage Sti (boost, oil temp and oil pressure)- I'm happy with how to install the sensors and wiring between Defi controller and gauges/sensors. The thing I need advice on is the power wire (4 wires total) to the Link controller. The four wires are- red (12v+), black(ground), white (illumination) and orange (ignition live). I have mounted the link controller in a blanking plate underneath the stereo headunit. Is it best to solder these four wires onto the wires to the cigarette lighter??? I've not looked at the cig lighter yet- does it have a permanent live (for red wire) as well as ignition wire??

Anyway advice on where and how to connect these four wires would be much appreciated.
Old 23 June 2007, 06:47 PM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by durry300
I'm in the process of having a set of three Defi gauges installed in my newage Sti (boost, oil temp and oil pressure)- I'm happy with how to install the sensors and wiring between Defi controller and gauges/sensors. The thing I need advice on is the power wire (4 wires total) to the Link controller. The four wires are- red (12v+), black(ground), white (illumination) and orange (ignition live). I have mounted the link controller in a blanking plate underneath the stereo headunit. Is it best to solder these four wires onto the wires to the cigarette lighter??? I've not looked at the cig lighter yet- does it have a permanent live (for red wire) as well as ignition wire??

Anyway advice on where and how to connect these four wires would be much appreciated.
I've just fitted mine this afternoon, i used this, You need to register P1WOC
And this with no probs.
Name:  wiringloom.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  39.0 KB

HTH

Sherlock
Old 23 June 2007, 08:11 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that Sherlock- Haven't had chance to look yet but are the wires I need to connect to part of the loom to the cig lighter or elsewhere behind the dash?? What gauges have you fitted m8???
Old 23 June 2007, 08:51 PM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

I didn't use the cig lighter i used the clock in the dash, which i removed when i put in the pod. What MY have you got?
I've fitted a set of STi genome defi boost, oil temp and pressure and controller.

Sherlock
Old 24 June 2007, 09:26 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

i spliced into the iso cables from the stereo when doing mine.
Old 24 June 2007, 03:34 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As sherlock says there is no need to splice into any wires just use the plug that supplys power to the oe dash clock and use pin connectors inserted into the plug thats what I have done with my Defi's.
Old 24 June 2007, 08:33 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

fitted the power wires today- took the permanent live feed from the wiring to the stereo (blue wire with red stripes- cheers Sherlock!!), I attached the black wire (ground) to a bolt on the dash frame. I attached the orange (ignition) and white (illumination) wires together and attached them to ignition/illumination wire to cig lighter. All connections are soldered and taped!! That's that job done I reckon- quite simple really, used a multimeter to check things.

One question- I take it that the illumination wire needs to be on an ignition live (haven't got gauges up and running yet but guessing they need to be illuminated even during daylight??) so gauges are illuminated at all times when ignition is on??
Old 24 June 2007, 09:39 PM
sherlock
Scooby Regular

I think the Defi BF ones will need a live feed as they will have to, get rid, for want of a better phrase, of the black face. I don't think they are lit up all the time, but i may be wrong as mine aren't BF's.

Sherlock
Old 24 June 2007, 09:49 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Durry300...

Nice to see you on here mate...!!
Post up some pics when they're done..!

Nige.
Old 24 June 2007, 10:08 PM
durry300
Scooby Regular

Hello Nigey boy!!! Will post some pics when done and let u know they're on here!!!
Old 24 June 2007, 10:37 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Sherlock is right. It's been a while since i fitted mine but i remember having to re-wire to a live feed to display the BF faces.