Notices

thermal dispersant messing around

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2007, 04:27 PM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermal dispersant messing around

i've decided to play around with some dispersant because there really hasnt been much in the way of actual data out there. until now i've just used thermal barrier type coatings so this is new territory for me. i know alot of people put grill paint on things like intercoolers and radiators but i think it would be cool to be able to black them out AND have function to it.

a little info about thermal disperant:
"Being able to move and control heat is of tremendous importance. Excessive temperature can lead to metal fatigue, boiling fluids, damaging metal expansion, reduce electrical efficiency and a host of other problems. Traditionally dealing with heat has been handled either by expanding the
radiating surface, constructing parts from materials that are more heat conductive and using the color black. With advances in thermal management methods additional ways of enhancing heat trans-
fer now exist. Individual products such as TLTD can be utilized by themselves or in conjunction with other coatings to manage the flow of heat. TLTD is capable of transferring heat faster than the bare metal surface. While TLTD does make use of the color black, TLTD is more than a simple "black body" heat emitting coating. TLTD includes ingredients that also contribute to increased heat flow. Combining these properties with increased corrosion protection and the thin film application technique, maximizes thermal transfer capabilities. Effective on Brakes, Intake
Manifolds, Cylinder Heads, Oil Pans, Radiators, Intercoolers and more.
"

with that said, we decided to start with a tmic off of an 02 wrx. i got two things accomplished; baselining some temps from an uncoated tmic, and got the tmic sandblasted and coated with thermal dispersant. i'll post up my baseline temp points soon.

Justin
Commercial web address removed

some pics

Last edited by Dyney; 22 June 2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Unauthorised advertising
Old 21 June 2007, 05:14 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

You're going to get banned for unauthorised advertising
Old 21 June 2007, 05:26 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting nevertheless.
Old 21 June 2007, 08:52 PM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

i apologize if posting some stuff we were screwing around with is not welcome here. i'm not pushing to sell it i just thought it was interesting because there really isnt much data out there for it.

if a mod/admin thinks this is wrong please pm me before you close the thread or ban me...i'm not a scammer...just trying to branch out from ALWAYS being on nasioc.

Justin
Old 21 June 2007, 11:40 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well keep at it. I'm reading it. I'm fed up of shiny intercoolers anyway.
Old 21 June 2007, 11:48 PM
Britishdaddy
Scooby Regular

Default paint

i think you should just hammeright it great stuff good for any and every surface

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW HA HA HA
Old 22 June 2007, 02:31 PM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Britishdaddy
i think you should just hammeright it great stuff good for any and every surface

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW HA HA HA

hammerright?
Old 22 June 2007, 04:04 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed
hammerright?
He means Hammerite Worldwide (black paint intended for metal)
Old 22 June 2007, 04:38 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Yes Hammerite is OK. I wonder if black fire surround paint might do the job?
Old 22 June 2007, 05:58 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

You want matt black, so if you use hammerite, don't get smoothrite, otherwise I can't to be honest see much benefit in a specific paint, still my TMIC is black as stock anyway!

Simon
Old 26 June 2007, 04:14 AM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

baseline results. in retrospect i would have done more start and stop to see how quickly the IC gets cooled after heatsoak because this is where i think it would be most effective. these are baseline uncoated results.

kellogg, 11th and maryland are about a mile apart. i should have done alot more driving and less idle temp taking.

looks like you'll have to click this image since its shrinking it.
Old 26 June 2007, 02:13 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

So are you measuring charge temp here? Or the temp of the intercooler exterior?
Old 26 June 2007, 02:21 PM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by silent running
So are you measuring charge temp here? Or the temp of the intercooler exterior?

these baseline temps are from the core temp. i stuck the probe on the center surface of the intercooler. i understand we'll need to get the charge temp as well but i want to do prelim testing to see if the stuff even works first.
Old 26 June 2007, 05:00 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

The problem with heat coatings and transfer is it always works two ways.

So if the coating works really well it will increase the amount of power it can transfer to the air. But also the amount of power air can transfer to the intercooler.

or it will loose its temperature quicker when driving after heatsoak, but it will also go up quicker when standing still.
the overal effect will be limited for these situations.

By the way most probably the coating helps due to its blackness and roughness (thereby increasing the surface)

also make sure you measure ambient and charge temps for good before and after comparison.
Old 26 June 2007, 05:12 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

How about coating exactly half the intercooler ? Then you could put a probe towards the end of each half, and see what differences there are.

I realise that the two halves will effect each other to some extent, but any other way of doing it will have many more variables by the time you've swapped from an uncoated to a coated unit or vice versa.
Old 27 June 2007, 04:40 AM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

ok so i have some more raw data here from testing. i'd say i'm pretty happy with the results. i believe i see a high of 26% cooler temps in the data. ambient temps were very similar to the other night of testing.

raw data snapshot

Driving portion of test. Blue is coated, pink is uncoated.

First 1/3 car idle after getting back to the shop. last 2/3 car sitting off. Last data point is 21 minutes after the car was shut off.

Raw snapshot of the whole shabang, driving, sitting, idling, and off together.

Justin
Old 27 June 2007, 04:16 PM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ricardo
How about coating exactly half the intercooler ? Then you could put a probe towards the end of each half, and see what differences there are.

I realise that the two halves will effect each other to some extent, but any other way of doing it will have many more variables by the time you've swapped from an uncoated to a coated unit or vice versa.

sorry, already coated the entire thing. we now have uncoated vs. coated results of core temps.
Old 27 June 2007, 04:19 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Looks good so far. I think as someone mentioned already, it's a two way street. Being able to radiate heat better also means it can absorb heat better. At a guess, on a TMIC you'd want the black on the top side and mirror finish on the bottom face to give you ideal characteristics. I'm currently mulling over what to do with my inlet manifold which is coming off quite soon. First off I'm planning some insulating spacers to keep heat transfer from the heads down. But whether to paint it, I don't know. If I paint it black, it will radiate heat off but also absorb it from the block and head. Overall I think it will absorb more than it loses through being black. I wonder if white might be better?