Notices

Injectors dead after too high fuel pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2007, 08:30 PM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injectors dead after too high fuel pressure??

Adivce please folks.

My Type R was over fueling and as a result when at temp was running really rough. Its went to a garage and they have found it to be running 4bar fuel pressure due to a gubbed fuel pressure regulator and also suspect injector seal setup.

Now the seals and regulator have been replaced and now the car won’t start , at all, ( always started first time prior to this) and its been suggested that its prob down to the 4bar fuel pressure killing the injectors and now they won’t work at the standard pressure and that new injectors are required.

Apart form injectors could there be another issue?
Old 06 May 2007, 01:39 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kennyf
Adivce please folks.

My Type R was over fueling and as a result when at temp was running really rough. Its went to a garage and they have found it to be running 4bar fuel pressure due to a gubbed fuel pressure regulator and also suspect injector seal setup.

Now the seals and regulator have been replaced and now the car won’t start , at all, ( always started first time prior to this) and its been suggested that its prob down to the 4bar fuel pressure killing the injectors and now they won’t work at the standard pressure and that new injectors are required.

Apart form injectors could there be another issue?
How was the over-fuelling measured?

If the problem only showed itself "at temperature" it's possible it could be a host of different problems.
If you want to call us Tuesday, We'd be happy to talk through the problem with you?

Scooby Mania
(0115) 985 9555

What other tests were carried out?
Old 06 May 2007, 08:49 AM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

if its any help im using an 11bar fuel pump on a legacy turbo engine no issues
Old 06 May 2007, 09:29 AM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Mania
How was the over-fuelling measured?

If the problem only showed itself "at temperature" it's possible it could be a host of different problems.
If you want to call us Tuesday, We'd be happy to talk through the problem with you?

Scooby Mania
(0115) 985 9555

What other tests were carried out?
To be honest I'm not to sure how was measured .Before I admitted defeat , I replaced the plugs . leads , MAF , lambda ( 2nd hand worse for wear one) temp sensor.
My mate also replaced the seals on the injectors but the garage said the fact he doubled up on the seals had actually caused the pressure to goto 4bar.
Old 06 May 2007, 09:37 AM
Scooby Senior

but the garage said the fact he doubled up on the seals had actually caused the pressure to goto 4bar.

Ballcocks IMHO

Don't know why you would double up on the seals though
Old 06 May 2007, 10:17 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Kenny,

You took the car in with a couple of running issues, they changed some things, and now it won't run at all !!

I really think you need to start with what the garage changed, because it sounds like they have no idea what the problem is.

First the 4bar FP was due to a faulty reg', and now it's due to too many seals !

Agree with 500 about o rings/seals, it will make the injectors a bugger to fit, and could cause the injectors to leak, but fitting too many o rings will not cause high fuel pressure.

Mark.
Old 06 May 2007, 10:25 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by doppelganger
if its any help im using an 11bar fuel pump on a legacy turbo engine no issues
I can't think why that would make any difference? it ran before, now it won't?

That points more to the actual work done I'd say.
If we had the car in, we would check that the new FPR has been correctly fitted and connected, then if there are no external signs of fuel leaks, I'd be taking a look at the lower injector seals. They are VERY easy to damage during injector install.

I'd suggest getting it to someone who knows what they're looking at as the people you've used don't sound like they have a clue?
Old 06 May 2007, 01:07 PM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

The thing is though , I've used them because of various good comments from scoobynet and sidc members. They seem to know what they're doing but then again I'm a novice and know nowt ! T
he only thing that concerns me is anytime I mention to anyone about it being all the injectors that aregubbed they all look at me like I've three heads.

All thats actually been changed so far is the fpr and the lambda, thats why 'm so puggled as to why it won't even fire up now?
Old 06 May 2007, 01:38 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Kenny,

Post me an injector, and I'll test it for you. That way you'll know for sure.

I won't even charge you to post it back.

Mark.
Old 06 May 2007, 01:47 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Good on ya Mark.

Plenty of good advise in here...

for a change.
Old 06 May 2007, 01:59 PM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Good on ya Mark.

Plenty of good advise in here...

for a change.
Post me all 4, I'll ultrasonic clean them, then I'll test them on my Injetor flow test bench. Then I'll post them back to you if they're OK?

If you're still stuck after thet, if you can find a way to get the4 car into our workshop, either myself or one of my Technicians will give it a once over for you.
(It still sounds like a fitment issue to me though).

Mike.

Last edited by Area 52 Autosport; 06 May 2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06 May 2007, 02:23 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

Post me all 4, I'll ultrasonic clean them, then I'll test them on my Injetor flow test bench. Then I'll post them back to you if they're OK?

If you're still stuck after thet, if you can find a way to get the4 car into our workshop, either myself or one of my Technicians will give it a once over for you.
(It still sounds like a fitment issue to me though).

Mike.
now thats service
Old 06 May 2007, 04:59 PM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

Thats champion lads , I'll need to see if they are open monday if so I'll go and remove the injectors.
Old 06 May 2007, 05:30 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Mike,

Post me all 4, I'll ultrasonic clean them, then I'll test them on my Injetor flow test bench.
Mike.

If Kenny sends the injectors to you, can I suggest you test them before cleaning them, that way you'll identify any issues, that ultrasonically cleaning them may cure.

Mark.
Old 07 May 2007, 02:36 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Lateral Performance
Mike,

If Kenny sends the injectors to you, can I suggest you test them before cleaning them, that way you'll identify any issues, that ultrasonically cleaning them may cure.

Mark.
Of course you can suggest that Mark.

We have a very extensive and extremely lengthy set of test protocols that we run routinely in these circumstances so I think it's unlikey we'll miss anything if there is a problem.

Anyway, based on the amount of cars we work on/diagnose and fix in the workshop, I'd guess as I've already mentioned that it's more likely to be a fitment issue?
Old 07 May 2007, 10:22 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Mike,

Looking back through the thread, I think it's quite clear what your posts are based on !

My offer to test an injector for Kenny, was purely to eliminate it as the cause of the problem, and not an attempt in "one upmanship", and certainly not an attempt to tout for his business !

Because firstly, the garage who has the car should try, and sort it, and secondly, Kenny is in Glasgow, and I'm just North of London !

You however, clearly want to get Kenny's car into your workshop, where no doubt you'll perform your very extensive, and extremely lengthy set of test protocols on his car

Your next move in "one upmanship", is to offer to go, and collect, and then sort the whole car out FREE OF CHARGE. That will show you were just trying to help, and not desperate for the business, which of course I'm sure you're not

Mark.
Old 07 May 2007, 11:19 AM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Originally Posted by Lateral Performance
Mike,

Looking back through the thread, I think it's quite clear what your posts are based on !

Huh?

I've offered advice which can easily be passed on to the garage who has Kenny's car. I still don't think it's an injector problem per se, but if injectors need testing, they should be done as a set, not as a single?

Mike
Old 07 May 2007, 11:45 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Mike,

if injectors need testing, they should be done as a set, not as a single?
Mike
That would depend on why the injectors are being tested.

In this case it has been suggested that the injectors have failed, so on that basis, testing one of them will pretty much either prove, or disprove this.

If it works, chances are the car will have at least started.

If it's faulty, then chances are the injectors are at fault.

Since everyone here agrees that the injectors are unlikely to be the culprit, my offer to test one, was purely to eliminate them from the equation.

Regardless, it would be good to see Kenny sort the problem out.

Mark.
Old 07 May 2007, 11:50 AM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

So the long and the short is that its unlikely that that level of fuel pressure would kill an injector , never mind all four at the same time? The actual cause could lye with the refitting of the injectors or other works completed since it went in.

cheers

Kenny
Old 07 May 2007, 11:51 AM
Scooby Senior

First they say that the injectors are dead, this means that they are ALL faulty. if 1 works, it's very likely that they all do.

What year is the car? surely they can yest via the plugs/OBD and diagnose why it won't start. Have they got the equipment/are they over familiar with subarus?
Old 07 May 2007, 11:52 AM
Scooby Senior

seems as Mark was posting as I was...

Injectors can run over 4 bar, so I can't see this causing the problem.
Old 07 May 2007, 12:12 PM
Kennyf
Scooby Regular

The plot thickens ,just off the phone and it appears that the actual injector is damaged as the "O" rings used to seal where way over size and have actually bevelled (for lack of a better word) the physical injectors and the fuel is just flowing straight through.
Old 07 May 2007, 12:15 PM
John1uk
Scooby Regular

To be honest I'm not to sure how was measured .Before I admitted defeat , I replaced the plugs . leads , MAF , lambda ( 2nd hand worse for wear one) temp sensor.
My mate also replaced the seals on the injectors but the garage said the fact he doubled up on the seals had actually caused the pressure to goto 4bar.
i had similar problems........ i found it to be the o rings on the injectors......what ever you do don't put them in dry....i had major problems with the car not starting or leaking fuel....just go to your local shop and buy some high temp silicon grease or simular and take out rings, replace if needed and grease them and the chamber.......works great now with no issues.....
Old 07 May 2007, 01:13 PM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Kenny,

The plot thickens ,just off the phone and it appears that the actual injector is damaged as the "O" rings used to seal where way over size and have actually bevelled (for lack of a better word) the physical injectors and the fuel is just flowing straight through.

I'm trying to work out how this could happen. The pressure needed to distort an injector would be very high, and the ally cap would commonly break first.

It also doesn't explain the high fuel pressure, but I'm also curious to know why the engine didn't hydraulic, given the cylinders would just fill with fuel if the injectors are jammed wide open. The car must also stink of fuel !

If this has managed to happen, before the car is started, make sure you get the garage to do an oil change, as a lot of fuel will have got into the sump.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mark.