Notices

Newage FMIC onto Classic Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2007, 05:16 PM
CkoTuHa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newage FMIC onto Classic Impreza

I am after a cheap and proven IC setup for my early classic Type Ra Sti ver2.
I intend not to spend silly amounts of my resources as there are pretty decent offers on ebay and other web shops.

I've lost my confidence in the real need for such a big IC as AUTOBAHN or Hybrid's GT Spec or similar IC kits from ebay:
This is exact photo of what I got

I had got one for dirt and gave it to friend of mine. He had loads of complaints on the fitment procedure.
But the cooler itself was impressive beast - it was BIG, it was heavy and it was CHEAP. Nothing can beat cheap technology!

He fitted it to his Sti ver3 wagon, had to cut the wing and do a lot of labour, from what I heard. And I think he still has leaks from the clamps because he is not impressed with the pros he got from fitting the FMIC.

I better supplied him the SN experience shared by some members from the FMIC G/B.

Well
Having read this , havig done a litle of this
I really think that OEM subaru turbo setups do NOT need the IC core sizes of 24x12x3 inches, thats 610x305x76 mm....
As there are 15! tubes that are really long for air to pass them. From the techtalk it can be deduced that it is not the best setup, as long tubes obstruct the flow-create turbulence-reduce the airflow speed.
Whats more, the article says that only short path of the tube makes the all cooling magic - pareto rule applies here- the 10% of the tube emits 90% of the heat. Therefore the cooler should be a bit shorter and a bit smaller.

Have a look at this bar and plate example:

the photo was taken from SN user trying to sell it.
It is 580x210x100 mm
It says it flows well
It is bargain at the end.

And FINALLY the geast - As above,any chance to fit the newage FMIC to the Classic.
Has anyone fitted the Newage one to the classic?
Will it keep the OE fog lamps?

Aidar
Old 01 May 2007, 05:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

the one with the red pipes was mine and i still have a link for it if you want to import one but the 1st one you show is meant for a classic shape impreza so would be a much better choice
Old 01 May 2007, 06:25 PM
CkoTuHa
Scooby Regular

hasn't got someone got Steve's IC ?
By the way those red pipes are plastic, right ?

Anyways, about FMIC for the Classic-I didn't like the size of the first cooler - it is simply to BIG.
But the second one seems reasonably smaller.
I mean just the cooler itself - I like the core. If the newage piping is ok for GC then I am getting it.
Old 01 May 2007, 06:42 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CkoTuHa
By the way those red pipes are plastic, right ?
those pipes are all the intercooler pipe work ! similar to all those shinny ones above. except the red ones will stay red and the cheap shinny ones will be flaking within a few months
Old 01 May 2007, 07:35 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

If you mounted the GD intercooler on a GC8 so it filled the bumper hole nicely the end tanks would go straight through where your fogs are supposed to be, as the GC8 intercooler is taller the piping is routed underneath the fogs.

I would fit the GC8 intercooler then get a bigger turbo This should combat the downside of fitting a massive intercooler on such a tiny turbo.
Old 02 May 2007, 01:04 AM
CkoTuHa
Scooby Regular

SSCJAY
good point! I forgot that on a newage the piping setup uses the foglite holes...

More opinions ?