Notices

VF30...is it the turbo for me?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2007, 12:13 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF30...is it the turbo for me?

Getting a few mods done over the next 3 or 4 weeks, a possibly looking at a VF30 turbo. Looking for opinions please.

I have a P1 and my mods will be...

Hayward & Scott decat downpipe, straight through centre, and backbox
APS Inner wing induction kit
Walbro Fuel Pump
Ported Throttle Body
Apexi Power FC with Andy F remap

I already have good NGK sparks and a Helix Clutch so I'm looking at maybe also buyin a VF30 turbo. So, will I have to buy any supporting mods and is this unit a straight bolt on replacement for my VF28 turbo?
Old 27 April 2007, 02:42 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 27 April 2007, 03:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by d4zza
Getting a few mods done over the next 3 or 4 weeks, a possibly looking at a VF30 turbo. Looking for opinions please.

I have a P1 and my mods will be...

Hayward & Scott decat downpipe, straight through centre, and backbox
APS Inner wing induction kit
Walbro Fuel Pump
Ported Throttle Body
Apexi Power FC with Andy F remap

I already have good NGK sparks and a Helix Clutch so I'm looking at maybe also buyin a VF30 turbo. So, will I have to buy any supporting mods and is this unit a straight bolt on replacement for my VF28 turbo?
What power are you after and what level of responsiveness do you want. There is little point in going to a VF30 from a 28 if you're exsisting turbo is in good order. The next logical move word be a TD05 18G or similar.

Ns04
Old 27 April 2007, 03:29 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
What power are you after and what level of responsiveness do you want. There is little point in going to a VF30 from a 28 if you're exsisting turbo is in good order. The next logical move word be a TD05 18G or similar.

Ns04
I'm not going to be hung up on figures. My mods are going to get done along with remap in the next few weeks, seen a VF30 for sale and wondered if it was a worthwhile mod to add, and would I need any more supporting mods to go with it.

If the day comes I want some serious BHP then I would go for an 18G (or maybe a 20G ), but for now, just wondering if I should bother.
Old 27 April 2007, 03:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by d4zza
I'm not going to be hung up on figures. My mods are going to get done along with remap in the next few weeks, seen a VF30 for sale and wondered if it was a worthwhile mod to add, and would I need any more supporting mods to go with it.

If the day comes I want some serious BHP then I would go for an 18G (or maybe a 20G ), but for now, just wondering if I should bother.
If your VF28 is in good order then no, it's not worth it mate.

With the mods you're getting and a remap by an expert, you shouls see about 330bhp and similar torque. A VF30 wouldn't fare significantly better IIUIC.

Ns04
Old 27 April 2007, 03:52 PM
d4zza
Scooby Regular

thanks mate. No go for the VF30!
Old 27 April 2007, 06:03 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

I went from a VF28 on my P1 to a VF34 and it's much better, same spool but does'nt rnu outta puff. My VF28 got me to 320bhp and my VF34 is now running 350bhp. I could of gone for a bigger turbo but I wanted to retain driveability and throttle response/reduce lag. I'd would say the VF30/VF34 would definatly be a step on from the VF28 especially once mapped.
Old 27 April 2007, 07:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Glad you're happy mate, but with respect, from my point of view 20-30bhp isn't worth the cost of getting a decent VF30 and the labour to remove the 28 and install the 30.if you want much more than the VF28 will give, you may as well go down the 18g route. TBH though, I'd probably put the money towards an FMIC and make the most of the turbo.
Old 27 April 2007, 07:45 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Your missing the point, the bhp figures are irrelevent it's the driveability and response that counts. Increased Power is easy to achieve with bigger turbos but to improve response and reduce lag whilst increasing torque and mid range is much more differcult.
On the other hand there is the argument that if considering 18g why not go for the 20g, nearly the same spool but more power??
Then there is the other consideration that once power and torque rise above 350bhp/lbft gearbox reliability and clutch life are drastically reduced and can lead to failure. It all depends on your goals and modification plans.
A FMIC is definatley a good idea to lower inlet/charger temps and most of the lag can be removed with good mapping.
Old 28 April 2007, 01:13 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by P1 FEK
Your missing the point, the bhp figures are irrelevent it's the driveability and response that counts. Increased Power is easy to achieve with bigger turbos but to improve response and reduce lag whilst increasing torque and mid range is much more differcult. .
Indeed, but I doubt that the VF30 would be a significant improvement over the 28 in these respects either. I think more would be gained in terms of achieving optimal driveability/power by getting headers ported and wrapped.

On the other hand there is the argument that if considering 18g why not go for the 20g, nearly the same spool but more power??.
Because the 18G is has the better midrange; the 20Gs advantage is all at the top end.

Then there is the other consideration that once power and torque rise above 350bhp/lbft gearbox reliability and clutch life are drastically reduced and can lead to failure. .
Yep, an 18G would certainly trouble the gearbox!

But we are getting a bit off what the posters wants, which is to make the best of what he's got. I would suggest porting and wrapping the headers, maybe an FMIC if the budget will stretch and sticking with the 28 assuming its in good health. Should see a comfortable and relatively gearbox friendly 340+

Ns04
Old 28 April 2007, 01:27 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Definatly the headers and FMIC are a effective & cost efficient way of reliably increasing power but I don't think he'll see 340bhp on a VF28, it'll really be struggling above 320bhp and probably running out of puff. The P1's 440cc injectors will be pretty much on their limit.
I confused as to why he's gone for a ported throttle body at this level of tune, good intercooler pipework of the correct bore size would be more essential??
Old 28 April 2007, 01:38 PM
New_scooby_04

Definatly the headers and FMIC are a effective & cost efficient way of reliably increasing power but I don't think he'll see 340bhp on a VF28, it'll really be struggling above 320bhp and probably running out of puff. The P1's 440cc injectors will be pretty much on their limit.
I confused as to why he's gone for a ported throttle body at this level of tune, good intercooler pipework of the correct bore size would be more essential??
If it doesn't I owe you a beer!

Ns04
Old 28 April 2007, 01:42 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Fair enough! Will be interesting to see what power it makes and what turbo he ends up going for.

I've been down this route with my P1 last year, we found the VF28 was the limiting factor.
Old 28 April 2007, 02:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Fair enough! Will be interesting to see what power it makes and what turbo he ends up going for.

I've been down this route with my P1 last year, we found the VF28 was the limiting factor.
Think it very much depends on the individual car mate (and the mapper of course, but the poster is going with Andy F, so no issue there!).

I jumped on the back of a p1 group buy on a BRD remap. I got talking to a couple of p1 owners just with a decat/fuel pump/3 port boost solenoid and all got around 330bhp or above IIRC. As you quite rightly say though, that doesn't tell the whole story about the improvement in drivability etc..

Ns04
Old 28 April 2007, 02:20 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

From the sounds of it our poster is trying to get everything together and sort the engine mods in one foul swoop, but will putting an 18g on lead to having to uprate other components?
I think there is little point going for the 18g unless your going to expolit it's potential and if you do, you'll have to have the funds and be prepared to uprate the gearbox etc at some point.
For me the VF34 was ideal and with 350bhp my car happily will match my mates Audi RS6 upto 160mph, then he storms off in the distance!!
Old 28 April 2007, 02:38 PM
New_scooby_04

From the sounds of it our poster is trying to get everything together and sort the engine mods in one foul swoop, but will putting an 18g on lead to having to uprate other components?
I think there is little point going for the 18g unless your going to expolit it's potential and if you do, you'll have to have the funds and be prepared to uprate the gearbox etc at some point.
For me the VF34 was ideal and with 350bhp my car happily will match my mates Audi RS6 upto 160mph, then he storms off in the distance!!
On a private road, of course!!!

I have a VF35 on mine with supporting mods (MY99), which raised the eyebrow of a mate with Porka 911

Ns04
Old 28 April 2007, 04:09 PM
P1 FEK
Scooby Regular

Of course a private road, I have my own!!! LOL