Notices

Apexi RHF5 hybrid turbo - any info?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2007, 01:44 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi RHF5 hybrid turbo - any info?

Just got the new turbo I bought and am really chuffed with the condition of it. No play at all in the shaft at either end!

Very pleased with this and I can't wait to get it on the car with a new clutch etc.

Thing is I'm actually not sure what to make of this turbo and what to expect of it.
I've read that it's good for about 350bhp which is nice (albeit not masses), but then also that it's better than a TD05-16G and have read a couple of comments along the lines of 'a bit laggy then goes like a rocket' etc.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info around on these, and I'm not sure if it's basically the standard IHI RHF5 that Apexi have welded an elbow to, or if they have done other hybridificating to it as well as adding the elbow.

Am hoping that as it's a ball bearing job it should spool up nicer than my TD05 if nothing else, especially being that it seems to be in such great condition. Not sure what differences to expect though really from current turbo.

Anyone know about these at all?

Be nice to have full specs for this and for the TD05 to compare & contrast.....
Old 27 April 2007, 08:00 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Guessing not many people know about these then?!

The lads down under say it's basically a VF22 that's had an elbow and a much stronger and more efficient compressor wheel added by Apexi and is a fair bit more capable than a 16G, but with vaguely similar spool due to having ball bearing core. They reckon it'll give 400bhp without too much sweat.

Not sure if that's accurate or not but it's about as much as I have been able to establish.....
Old 27 April 2007, 08:41 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

if its the same size as a VF22 then it wont get anywhere near 400 in real terms. Sounds interesting though.
Old 28 April 2007, 01:38 AM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Not sure - perhaps it's due to the uprated compressor wheel fitted but the problem is that info seems quite scarce on these.