Notices

Burning oil smell from engine bay!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2007, 07:00 AM
subrublue
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil smell from engine bay!!

Hi, I recently had the rocker cover gaskets replaced under warranty (now expired) on my 53 plate WRX (24K miles). Since this work was carried out I have noticed a mild burning oil smell from engine bay (it seems to be from drivers side). I'm certain that this did not happen before work was carried out and only seems to occur when car is driven hard. I've had car back to Subaru dealer who checked work for any sign of oil leaks (found nothing) and suggested when rocker covers were removed some oil may have spilled onto exhaust/heat shields and be slowly burning off. However this is 3 months on now and smell is still there!!

Can anyone offer any thoughts on this please? Cheers,

Mitch.
Old 18 April 2007, 07:10 AM
Lee D T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take it back to them fella, it sounds like they did'nt do the job properly, the likeliest place it may be leaking is the offside cylinder directly in front of the driver.

Its not a difficult job to do, it just needs a bit of care to be taken to clean up the rim of the head also they should have replaced all the gaskets for that side ie the main gasket, two small ones for the plugs, bolt seals and even the half moon blanks.

Last edited by Lee D T; 18 April 2007 at 07:13 AM.