Notices

any pointers please?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2007, 11:32 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any pointers please?

guys, I'm going to be changing over my centre section for a nice stainless decat section - easy job to do? do I need ramps? joining compand on the flange bits? - any pointers greatfully received, thanks in advance, Olly

hopefully the bolts wont be a pig to get undone

Car is 1999 Uk Wagon Turbo 2000
Old 17 April 2007, 11:45 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ollyit
guys, I'm going to be changing over my centre section for a nice stainless decat section - easy job to do? do I need ramps? joining compand on the flange bits? - any pointers greatfully received, thanks in advance, Olly

hopefully the bolts wont be a pig to get undone

Car is 1999 Uk Wagon Turbo 2000
You will need ramps to gain access more easily. Two bolts on the rear section & two bolts that are spring loaded on the front section.
The front section is sealed with a tapered graphite/Carbon ring which sits over the Dpipe, These can deteriorate over time, But generally are not to bad, The rear section has a steel sandwhich gasket, Which again normally falls apart once removed.
As for resealing just use a high temp silicone (they do make Cat safe stuff, But you have no cats ), Put a bead on the inside face (Dpipe Side) where the Sealing ring touches & a bead either side of the old rear gasket (assuming it survives)
Just before you nip everything up good & tight, you may want to get someone to align the backbox & hold it there as you tighten fully, as they can move
Simple job really if the bolts undo, If not, good old hacksaw & some new ones from B & Q Etc

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 17 April 2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 17 April 2007, 11:50 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

A very precise and detailed reply there!, you're a star mate, may thanks (printing this off as we speak!)