Notices

Apexi failure!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 06:40 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Apexi failure!!

Has anybody else had problems with an Apexi ecu? It's only been on the car a few months (fitted and mapped by Simon roe) so you would expect it to be fine. The car was ok for about six months then one day it would'nt start , my local garage had it for a couple of days, had the alarm system disconnected and thrown away,still the same. When the car did run it it would'nt go to 4000rpm and die after a short time. They came to the conclusion it must be the Apexi playing up. I had the car transported to Allan Jefferys engineering in Plymouth, they had the car for several days,checked all the electrics and came to the same conclusion, the Apexi. By repeatedly changing the Apexi with the original ecu (it ran fine with the original) it was obviously the Apexi at fault. Allan jefferys engineering have supplied ,fitted and mapped a new ecu (not an Apexi ) and the car is running fine. Altogether this has cost me, including the Apexi, well over two thousand pounds! Anybody want to buy an Apexi? Cheers, Mick Adey.
Old 30 March 2007, 06:46 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Why didnt you get it replaced by Simon Roe (he supplied it to you?)?
Old 30 March 2007, 07:12 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Simon Roe did'nt think it was the Apexi faulty....
Old 30 March 2007, 07:19 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Of course he wouldnt think its the apexi's fault cause it would come out of his pocket.. Get a statement from those 2 garages that figured its the Apexi, take it to the guy and talk it out with him.
Old 30 March 2007, 07:21 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I am guessing that something was accidentally changed, or the PowerFC has returned to the base map, by accident or without explaination. The smart thing to do would be to have sent the ECU to Simon, get him to check it, and possibly put the original map he did on it, and then get it sent back. That should charge no more than £75 (hopefully less), not £2000.

If it turns out the PowerFC is okay, what will you do?
Old 30 March 2007, 07:41 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

To be honest I don't know what to do,I don't know if Apexi's can be checked,human nature being what it is I don't expect Simon or anybody else who sells me anything to put their hand up and say have your money back. Mick.
Old 30 March 2007, 07:45 PM
tfl55
Scooby Regular

Default APEXI

Not a subject you here much about on Scoobynet. In fact it's the first thread I have read concerning any ECU let alone a APEXI.
Have had mine for 3 years and it has been re mapped a number of times and all is well. I think Zen's words of wisdom would be the way to go.
Old 30 March 2007, 08:51 PM
sc00bylee
Scooby Regular

Surely you spoke to Simon before you splashed the cash on a new system, Like Zen said, it could have been checked.
Old 30 March 2007, 10:06 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

I can’t believe you bought a new ecu and had it mapped based on that, and TBH was sold one given the situation if it is just a couple of month old.

As above your ecu has more that lightly lost its map or has been spiked for what ever reason leaving it to return to the base map which will ultimately mean the car will run bad or not at all this has happened to me although my fault.
Old 31 March 2007, 12:16 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madey
Has anybody else had problems with an Apexi ecu? It's only been on the car a few months (fitted and mapped by Simon roe) so you would expect it to be fine. The car was ok for about six months then one day it would'nt start , my local garage had it for a couple of days, had the alarm system disconnected and thrown away,still the same. When the car did run it it would'nt go to 4000rpm and die after a short time. They came to the conclusion it must be the Apexi playing up. I had the car transported to Allan Jefferys engineering in Plymouth, they had the car for several days,checked all the electrics and came to the same conclusion, the Apexi. By repeatedly changing the Apexi with the original ecu (it ran fine with the original) it was obviously the Apexi at fault. Allan jefferys engineering have supplied ,fitted and mapped a new ecu (not an Apexi ) and the car is running fine. Altogether this has cost me, including the Apexi, well over two thousand pounds! Anybody want to buy an Apexi? Cheers, Mick Adey.
Firstly Mick I am sorry you have suffered this hassle, and also sorry you seem to feel it is my fault.

You do seem to have missed out a few events from the story.. please correct me if I remember it wrong..

You contacted me and I rang you and spoke at length (on my bill) about the problem.. the problem as you described it was that you took the car to the garage for an MOT and when they went to move it into the workshop it wouldn't start.. so I asked a number of details about the problem.. you said that you turn the ignition on and you get no dash board lights.. if you wiggle wires near the fuse box under the dash the lights come on occasionally and you can then start the car and it drives but won't go above 4000rpm..
As I tried for nearly an hour on the phone to explain if you wiggle the wires and the ecu then has power and it runs.. surely the problem is with the wiring.. if you turn the water main off and turn the tap on and no water comes out it's not the tap that is faulty? no? there could be a fault with both the wiring and the Apexi agreed, but you need to fix the first fault first.

I believe at this point you had already had the alarm removed and the garage were suggesting the getting a sparky to replace the wiring around the fusebox area as they couldn't do any more or that it was the Apexi at fault.

I tried ringing you a couple of days later to see how you were progressing but the phone was switched off..

I did say if the electrical fault has spiked the Apexi it is possible it may have lost the map, I have a copy if you get to the point where the dash lights come on with the ignition every time ie. the electrical fault is fixed and still you have trouble with it not revving past 4000rpm then I'll come and have a look and reset the Apexi and reload the map. Also that with the commander in one hand and a phone in the other I could explain where to look and tell you within 30seconds if the Apexi has reset or not, and run through some setting to see if the key ones were as they should be, and hadn't been altered.

I hear nothing from you for over a week so assume the electrics were fixed and the car is now fine.

Then I get a snotty email from you saying you have had to transport the car to Alan Jeffery's and they have said it must be the Apexi so are fitting another ecu at the cost of £1600.. can you have your money back for the Apexi.. you did not contact me at this point to say they think the Apexi is faulty can I replace it, take a look at it, email the map to them etc..
You also didn't say that the original ecu has been refitted and the car ran fine.. at which point I would suggest the map needs checking as it may have been reset etc..

If you could post me the Apexi ECU I will gladly test it and we can discuss a conclusion to this.

Many thanks
Simon
Old 31 March 2007, 01:00 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

think you reacted too soon to this and didn't give jolly green monster a chance and you got screwed...
Old 31 March 2007, 01:06 AM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Im sure most people will agree...you have taken the wrong approach to this madey.
Old 31 March 2007, 01:25 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ive had my Apexi in for ni on 3 years now and Simon has mapped mine the last 5 or so times and i have suffered no problems whatsoever with the ECU or the mapping of it.Sounds to me like its your car that is at fault (namely the wiring) not the ECU or the mapper

Good luck with it whatever the outcome
Old 31 March 2007, 02:05 PM
madey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Firstly Mick I am sorry you have suffered this hassle, and also sorry you seem to feel it is my fault.

You do seem to have missed out a few events from the story.. please correct me if I remember it wrong..

You contacted me and I rang you and spoke at length (on my bill) about the problem.. the problem as you described it was that you took the car to the garage for an MOT and when they went to move it into the workshop it wouldn't start.. so I asked a number of details about the problem.. you said that you turn the ignition on and you get no dash board lights.. if you wiggle wires near the fuse box under the dash the lights come on occasionally and you can then start the car and it drives but won't go above 4000rpm..
As I tried for nearly an hour on the phone to explain if you wiggle the wires and the ecu then has power and it runs.. surely the problem is with the wiring.. if you turn the water main off and turn the tap on and no water comes out it's not the tap that is faulty? no? there could be a fault with both the wiring and the Apexi agreed, but you need to fix the first fault first.

I believe at this point you had already had the alarm removed and the garage were suggesting the getting a sparky to replace the wiring around the fusebox area as they couldn't do any more or that it was the Apexi at fault.

I tried ringing you a couple of days later to see how you were progressing but the phone was switched off..

I did say if the electrical fault has spiked the Apexi it is possible it may have lost the map, I have a copy if you get to the point where the dash lights come on with the ignition every time ie. the electrical fault is fixed and still you have trouble with it not revving past 4000rpm then I'll come and have a look and reset the Apexi and reload the map. Also that with the commander in one hand and a phone in the other I could explain where to look and tell you within 30seconds if the Apexi has reset or not, and run through some setting to see if the key ones were as they should be, and hadn't been altered.

I hear nothing from you for over a week so assume the electrics were fixed and the car is now fine.

Then I get a snotty email from you saying you have had to transport the car to Alan Jeffery's and they have said it must be the Apexi so are fitting another ecu at the cost of £1600.. can you have your money back for the Apexi.. you did not contact me at this point to say they think the Apexi is faulty can I replace it, take a look at it, email the map to them etc..
You also didn't say that the original ecu has been refitted and the car ran fine.. at which point I would suggest the map needs checking as it may have been reset etc..

If you could post me the Apexi ECU I will gladly test it and we can discuss a conclusion to this.

Many thanks
Simon
Simon, you asked me to correct you if you remember it wrong, well for a start you did NOT ring me at any time, the only contact we've had is one email from you saying you did'nt think the Apexi was the problem and why couldn't Allan jefferys remove the map and put it on a new Apexi. To me that suggested I needed a new ecu so when Allan jefferys said they thought the Apexi was the problem I agreed to have a new one fitted. I would like to say that I have at no time criticised you or your work (indeed I have recommended you on this forum) only the Apexi for failing so early! I have to agree with the view that I have taken the most expensive route to solve the problem. If you think you can reset the Apexi I'll send it to you and then sell it for the best price I can and recoup at least some of the money. Mick Adey.
Old 31 March 2007, 09:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madey
Simon, you asked me to correct you if you remember it wrong, well for a start you did NOT ring me at any time, the only contact we've had is one email from you saying you did'nt think the Apexi was the problem and why couldn't Allan jefferys remove the map and put it on a new Apexi. To me that suggested I needed a new ecu so when Allan jefferys said they thought the Apexi was the problem I agreed to have a new one fitted. I would like to say that I have at no time criticised you or your work (indeed I have recommended you on this forum) only the Apexi for failing so early! I have to agree with the view that I have taken the most expensive route to solve the problem. If you think you can reset the Apexi I'll send it to you and then sell it for the best price I can and recoup at least some of the money. Mick Adey.
Surprized you cannot remember the telephone conversation you emailed asking me to ring you and gave two numbers and I rang your mobile number that ends in 99.

I was suggesting if the Apexi really was faulty then why the need for expensive route..

Anyway I'll email you my address.. post the Apexi and I'll check it, if it is fault I should be able to get it repaired by Apexi, although never had one go faulty to need to send it back.

Thanks
Simon
Old 31 March 2007, 11:08 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

if i were you i'd be thinking more about how the garage managed to wangle a whole load of cash from you when you originally only wanted an MOT...classic cowboy behaviour, if you ask me. Was the car acting up before they got their hands on it?

As far as i'm aware, apexi ecu's are near on bomb-proof, i've got one stuffed in my glovebox and my wiring leaves a lot to be desired, but it's never given any problems. If you open it up you'll see it's not much different to a motherboard setup in a pc, - i.e not much can go wrong in there unless it gets mashed or burnt-out. So basically, they either work or they don't.

If you play this right you could get some money back, - let JGM check/re-flash the Apexi, and if that works you can slap it back in and return the 'new' one.

ps.

probably not a good idea to bad mouth your mapper, mate. any future mods you might be planning will need re-maps and in this game you can end up seriously out of pocket unless you've got somebody who's prepared to give you HONEST advise.

Good Luck.