Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2007, 02:37 AM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY02 UK Wrx PPP Exhaust / Remap Question

Hi guys.

Recently bought a MY2002 Bugeye wrx.

The car has a prodrive cert to say it has the PPP package fitted to it.

The backbox has already been changed, from the Prodrive 1.

However it does have the prodrive hoses fitted.

Anyway I did a bit of reading to see what this Package contains and from what I could find this PPP pack should remove the 3rd cat.

However on my car it still has the 3rd cat fitted

Was this removed on all the PPP's ?

Anyway the main reason for this thread was to ask.

If I fit a set of stainless headers, with up pipe, downpipe, centre section and another different back box.

Will the car have to be remapped ? or will it only need the remap to get the best from fitting this kit and removing all 3 cats ?

If so would it be ok to fit everything apart from the headers until I can get it in for a remap (which could be a little way off).

Oh and do the headers, uppipe and downpipe beniffit from being wrapped ? or does it not make much / any difference ?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to know which route will be safe until I can get the car remapped. Can't live with it as it is, just tooooooo slow.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 March 2007, 09:50 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

If you cant live with it because it's slow then a remap is your only route to more power. Changing exhaust/induction components will improve the engines ability to produce more power, but will show little in actual gains until the ecu is mapped to take advantage of them. This means it probably wont be worth fitting the bits until you can remap anyway, just buy them as you go along and get it all done at once. See JollyGreenMonster on here for a non-Ecutek remap which will be cheaper (although whether he can work on a PPP'd ecu I dont know).

Headers and up-pipe are best wrapped before fitting.
If the downpipe is a PPP high flow cat then don't change it - a decat will offer little gain over it. If it's still the standard cat downpipe then it depends how much hassle you can bear at MOT time whether you go sports cat or decat.
Old 24 March 2007, 09:55 AM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by funkyspider
If you cant live with it because it's slow then a remap is your only route to more power. Changing exhaust/induction components will improve the engines ability to produce more power, but will show little in actual gains until the ecu is mapped to take advantage of them. This means it probably wont be worth fitting the bits until you can remap anyway, just buy them as you go along and get it all done at once. See JollyGreenMonster on here for a non-Ecutek remap which will be cheaper (although whether he can work on a PPP'd ecu I dont know).

Headers and up-pipe are best wrapped before fitting.
If the downpipe is a PPP high flow cat then don't change it - a decat will offer little gain over it. If it's still the standard cat downpipe then it depends how much hassle you can bear at MOT time whether you go sports cat or decat.
Thanks for your reply mate.

The car still has all 3 cats fitted.
Not worried about the mot got 9 months to go before thats needed again.

With regaurds to the power.

I would have thought removing all 3 cats would increase the gas flow and therefore increase the power without the remap ??

And if so, will doing that mean that the car will be running lean ?
Old 24 March 2007, 11:24 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

I was told by the person who mapped my car that the newage ecu can detect problems after removing the cats (btw - also add a K&N or Green Panel filter to improve induction) and can actually drop back to compensation map settings so you dont actually feel much benefit. In addition, decatting without a remap can give overboost. This info is basically what I was told when looking into doing mine. How relevant this is on a PPP mapped ECU I don't know. Have a chat with whoever you choose to do the remap and they will tell you for sure.

You will also have CEL warnings when removing cats. Have a read of this waffle I wrote
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ml#post6744666
Old 24 March 2007, 11:37 AM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

I was told by the person who mapped my car that the newage ecu can detect problems after removing the cats (btw - also add a K&N or Green Panel filter to improve induction) and can actually drop back to compensation map settings so you dont actually feel much benefit. In addition, decatting without a remap can give overboost. This info is basically what I was told when looking into doing mine. How relevant this is on a PPP mapped ECU I don't know. Have a chat with whoever you choose to do the remap and they will tell you for sure.

You will also have CEL warnings when removing cats. Have a read of this waffle I wrote
Cheers for the info m8

I already know about the cel problems with decats, so will sort that once the exhaust is fitted.
Old 24 March 2007, 12:45 PM
gws73
Scooby Regular

I've got a pretty much standard 04 WRX with PPP - have had the full de-cat done and have no overboost problems at all.
Old 24 March 2007, 01:29 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

The wrx ppp is different y piece hose under the standard intercooler to allow for the slight increase in boost. Prodrive backbox and prodrive mapped ecu that's all. No decat is involved the car still retains all 3 cats as part of the PPP. The Sti PPP is the same but includes a high flow cat in the downpipe and an uprated walbro fuel pump.
Old 24 March 2007, 01:41 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Fitting up-pipe headers and decat without a remap could cause the car to run dangerously lean and could cause serious engine damage. The PPP can be remapped no problems powerstation did mine. Here's a money making tip though buy youself a standard ecu from a breakers and tell whoever maps the car to install it and map it.Then you can sell the PPP ecu people pay strong money for them!! It may cushion the blow of the remap price.
Old 24 March 2007, 03:54 PM
Russellg911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
The wrx ppp is different y piece hose under the standard intercooler to allow for the slight increase in boost. Prodrive backbox and prodrive mapped ecu that's all. No decat is involved the car still retains all 3 cats as part of the PPP. The Sti PPP is the same but includes a high flow cat in the downpipe and an uprated walbro fuel pump.
I have a WRX with PPP and always thought it included a high flow cat so I have learnt something new today
Old 24 March 2007, 04:05 PM
muttly66
Scooby Regular

what is overboost ????
Old 24 March 2007, 05:37 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

How much will a PPP ecu fetch if I was to sell it on ?

Oh and how much is a std ecu ?
Old 24 March 2007, 06:40 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3rd cat is replaced with a PPP decat, but the original heat shields are put back on - still shaped to fit a catted pipe. You should find it really is decatted.
When you say it is slow, what is that compared against?

Nick
Old 24 March 2007, 07:49 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
The 3rd cat is replaced with a PPP decat, but the original heat shields are put back on - still shaped to fit a catted pipe. You should find it really is decatted.
When you say it is slow, what is that compared against?

Nick
OK when I get around to changing the exhaust over i'll have a good look then

It's slow compared to a std evo 5, a 370bhp Evo 6 RS2 and a stg 1 skyline GTR.

As you can see everything i've had in the last 3 yr's or so has had alot more power thus making this car feel very slow.

However I think 1 of the problems is that the power it does have feels strangled, which I think is mainly due to the cats.

I'll see how it is once the new system is fitted.

Cheers guys.