Another Remap, exhaust question please

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 04:15 PM
KEVSCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Remap, exhaust question please

Sorry to be a pain but any feedback much appriciated,
I have a totally standard MY03 WRX which is out of warrenty now, normal question is i would like a bit more power now,

Looking at the forums the normal is a remap and change the exhaust but can you go for a remap and just change the exhaust from the downpipe back? or do you have to change the cat downpipe aswell to a sports cat/decat downpipe because the normal one is the most restrictive?

If you go for a decat downpipe do you have trouble with mot`s and emissions?

Why i am asking is with the ppp package you only get a new backbox but i would like to change the other two pipes aswell to save doing them in the future, sorry if this has been done to death but your feedback welcomed please.

kev
Old 13 March 2007, 04:26 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by KEVSCOOBY
Sorry to be a pain but any feedback much appriciated,
I have a totally standard MY03 WRX which is out of warrenty now, normal question is i would like a bit more power now,

Looking at the forums the normal is a remap and change the exhaust but can you go for a remap and just change the exhaust from the downpipe back? or do you have to change the cat downpipe aswell to a sports cat/decat downpipe because the normal one is the most restrictive?

If you go for a decat downpipe do you have trouble with mot`s and emissions?

Why i am asking is with the ppp package you only get a new backbox but i would like to change the other two pipes aswell to save doing them in the future, sorry if this has been done to death but your feedback welcomed please.

kev
Kev, if you want the best gains, your down-pipe and up-pipe cats need to go. If you want to stay MOT friendly, get a sports cat DP. The ninja sports cat DP from Scoobyworld retails at £299. Great bit of kit. Stick a resonated decat centre section on there and a decat up-pipe, then get a backbox of your choice, get a remap and you get between 270-280bhp and similar torque. May also be wise to get an uprated fuel pump and a samco turbo hose set.

Ns04
Old 13 March 2007, 05:19 PM
KEVSCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Thanks ns04,

I think where i get confused is when people like yourself talk about up-pipes? i thought mine had a downpipe then cat pipe then centre section then back box, is the up pipe the cat pipe (too many pipes now lol).

On Scooby world they do a package for £449 to replace the downpipe back ie 3 sections and like you said the ninja dp sports cat for £229, would this be all i need on the exhaust front?

Kev
Old 13 March 2007, 05:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by KEVSCOOBY
Thanks ns04,

I think where i get confused is when people like yourself talk about up-pipes? i thought mine had a downpipe then cat pipe then centre section then back box, is the up pipe the cat pipe (too many pipes now lol).

On Scooby world they do a package for £449 to replace the downpipe back ie 3 sections and like you said the ninja dp sports cat for £229, would this be all i need on the exhaust front?

Kev
Sorry for confusion, I have a classic mate, less cats!

Just looked on Scoobyworld and they do have a decat up-pipe, but it apears to relate only to 2001 2002 models so not applicable to you.

"Stainless steel de-cat pipe from manifold to turbo, removing the catalytic converter on 2001 and 2002 WRX models".

So presumably you'd be looking at replacing DP with sports cat one, replacing the cat pipe with a non cat pipe (lol) a resonated centre section and a backbox!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 13 March 2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 13 March 2007, 08:24 PM
KEVSCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Much appriciated ns04, too many cats and pipes for my liking, seems clearer now though thanks

Kev
Old 13 March 2007, 09:04 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

The 2003 wrx will have a cat in the up-pipe. It's only the newage STi's where they do not have an up-pipe cat from the factory. It will have a cat in the downpipe and a cat in the centre section of the exhaust. The sports cat is apparently efficient enough to remove the rest and function as the only cat on the car.

This is a good diagram which explains the setup
http://www.scoobysport.co.uk/images/exhaust/flow.gif

An additional complication is the CEL (Check Engine light - amber light on the dash which looks like a little engine and warns you of potential problems) associated with decat down and up pipes as I recently found out.

Replacing the down-pipe with a decat or sports cat will probably put on the CEL with a code of P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. This can be sorted out in ecu software when remapped.

Replacing the up-pipe will mean removing the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) sensor on a WRX. This results in CEL P0546 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Malfunction (High Input). The EGT tells the ecu whether the up-pipe cat is performing correctly, and seeing as you have removed the cat then obviously the sensor isn't going to be happy. Some up-pipes have a boss for the EGT sensor to be fitted, but as the cat has gone the gas temperatures are much higher and this will at best annoy the standard sensor causing a CEL anyway, at worst cause the sensor to break up and go whizzing around in the turbo - generally thought of as a bad idea.

To get around this the best option is to have the EGT relocated at the top of the new downpipe. The temperatures here are on a par with what the sensor expects so the ecu stays happy. Downpipes don't usually have a boss for the sensor, but it can be drilled and one welded in.

Another option is to use a 2.2k ohm resistor in place of the EGT sensor. This involves removing the sensor completely and 'fooling' the ecu into thinking it's still there and reading correctly.

have a read here, towards the bottom of page 1
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...only-mway.html

STi's don't have a cat in the up-pipe and don't have an EGT sensor there.

Have a read here too
Uppipe FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - Newbies & FAQs - NASIOC

Can I go watch tele now

Last edited by funkyspider; 13 March 2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 13 March 2007, 09:49 PM
MJU1983
Scooby Regular

If you install a turboback exhaust, you will notice gains but they will not shine to full potential until you get it tuned.

A stock Subaru runs quite rich.

-Mike

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2007, 05:29 PM
KEVSCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Thanks everyone for your imput, one last question if you dont mind,

Like i said earlier mine is out of warrenty so should i go for the ppp package which is on offer at £995 which gives approx 265bhp or go for a sports cat downpipe exhaust system with back box minus the up pipe and a remap? approx £1300 i can work out? who is reccommended in the northwest area for remaps or will i have to go Andy f etc?

thanks again
Kev
Old 15 March 2007, 09:20 AM
KEVSCOOBY
Scooby Newbie

Anybody please any views
Kev
Old 15 March 2007, 09:56 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You have a cat in your downpipe and in your uppipe and also one in the middle section. Replacing all your up, down, middle and back box followed by an ecutek remap will get you around 285bhp. You could also replace the fuel pump for around £150 but not absolutely essential at that level. Downpipe is the most restrictive part at the moment but a sport cat downpipe should still keep you MOT friendly whilst being much less restrictive than the standard one.

PPP is standard bolt on items and standard PPP map, it may make 265ps or it may not. A mapper will tune your car individually once you have modified pipework. If you then wanted to change turbo etc for more power you have already payed the expensive part for the ecutek license and will just be paying for the mapper's time to re-tweak.

I would highly recommend speaking to David at API for top advice and a brilliant level of service. API are based in Warwickshire but I wouldn't take my car anywhere else. Andy Forrest obviously one of the top mappers though if you get your tubes done up north.
Old 15 March 2007, 01:31 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Personally I would (and did) go for a sports cat downpipe, remove all other cats including the up-pipe. Replace the fuel pump for a walbro 255 (75quid + fitting) and have an Ecutek remap.

Speak to Steve Cotton of Cotton Competition, based in the NorthWest not far from Lancaster who would be able to supply, fit the parts and remap your car. Alternatively source the parts yourself and optionally have them fitted there or just remapped there. First class service from cotcomp and very knowlegable about subaru mechanics and mapping.

Cotcomp Home

Also, pop into LADS if your in lancs for decent discounts from local suppliers (inc cotcomp).