Notices

Rocker Cover Removal - what gaskets REALLY need to be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2007, 11:36 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker Cover Removal - what gaskets REALLY need to be changed?

I'll be trying to extract a broken o/s rocker cover bolt sometime soon and have a very slight leak from my n/s gasket as well, plus I want to get a look at my heads anyway.

So my question is, do I really need to buy both RC gaskets, half moons whatever the hell they are, 12 new bolts and washers, spark plug gaskets etc? On other threads some say just reuse the originals with some 3-bond or high-temp gasket sealant. Others say you must replace every single gasket, which to me looks like spending £60 at Subaru which seems ridiculous.

Help!
Old 18 February 2007, 11:58 AM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only no once you have it apart, if there is no rush then assesses this once the covers are of. I would however replace the gaskets regardless, the rubber washers can wear again it would good to have a few new ones on hand. As for the bolts I see no reason to replace these apart from the snapped one.

Slapping 3 bond on the old gaskets to make good is not the right way IMO, do It once and do it right.
Old 18 February 2007, 12:02 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

But would you say that it's worth using 3-bond anyway, even on new gaskets, to lessen any future problems? And will it be pretty obvious if the existing gaskets need changing? Is there something I should be looking for other than them being brittle, cracked, manky looking etc. For example how can I tell if they've been squashed beyond their useful thickness?
Old 18 February 2007, 12:26 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

If the gaskets are new and seated correctly then there should be no need for a sealer, however you can use this people have there own methods. It’s hard to tell if the rubber gasket is crushed too much unless you have one to compare it to, just look for the usual sighs.

But if it was me I would replace the gaskets eliminate the possibility of it leaking in the first place. It would be frustrating to put the effort and time in only to find out a week later oil is dripping out and it has to be taken apart again. I am sure your gaskets will work out a fair bit cheaper than 60 and for that piece of mind it has to be worth it.
Old 18 February 2007, 12:38 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Would definately say new gaskets and a smear of 3 bond on all gaskets just make sure all surfaces are clean and degreased , its better to do it once and do it right , did mine this way three years ago and no leaks before hand kept getting a local garage to do them he kept using old gasket with sealer on it only last a month or two , i also torqued the bolts up as not to overtighten the new gasket.

Mark
Old 18 February 2007, 01:10 PM
scoobyman95
BANNED

use some around the cams in and out of the bends as this is were they leak even if they are new you do need to use some sealer just not all the way around
Old 18 February 2007, 01:31 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

ok so looks like I need new gaskets, but is it really necessary to get every single one? I know last time I looked into it at Subaru it was near enough £30 for all the stuff just for one side, but that did include 6 new bolts and those funny rubber/metal washers. What are the absolute basics that should be changed as a matter of course - rocker gaskets, spark plug gaskets and these half moons whatever they are? Can someone tell me what these do?
Old 18 February 2007, 01:41 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

If you don't have any leaks at the moment, I would leave the half-moons alone. I also found that mine wouldn't budge when I tried to remove them.

I would replace all the gaskets - the large one, the two spark plug gaskets and the six bolt gaskets.
The gaskets get squashed down when the cover is tightenend, and therefore I think are probably a one use item. I also used a little sealer around the corners of the large gasket - 3 years on and no leaks....

At the end of the day, £60 may sound quite expensive for some gaskets, but I'd hate to think of the mess if you tried re-sealing the current gaskets with sealer, and then had to try and remove it all and start again if it did leak.
Old 18 February 2007, 02:07 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

OK I'm starting to get a good idea of what I need now. Are all the classic rocker cover gaskets the same? Just last time I tried to order they weren't quite sure what part number they needed (MY98 WRX)
Old 18 February 2007, 11:26 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

I'll wait for the experts, but I'm lead to believe that new gaskets are not always necessary, you must use 3 bond and if you replace the gaskets use Subaru ones
Old 18 February 2007, 11:57 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Even with new gaskets you would be wise to seal most if not all the way round the main gasket, certainly round both cams, the bottom edge and a few cm up the back. The spark plug gaskets are usually fine, and provided the bolt seals are not perished or permanently squashed they should be fine too, but assemble the bottom 3 with a smear of sealant.

v5 onwards are much better, the gaskets are better and there are 2 extra bolts.
Old 19 February 2007, 07:39 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Well I reckon that pretty much sews it all up then. CHeers for all the advice! now I've just got to do the actual job.