NOS - No Seriously

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 08:51 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS - No Seriously

Hello,
I've just been talking online to someone who's fitting a wet system to his mini.
Seriously in all honesty what are the dangers of NOS on an engine. If it was mapped beforehand etc why pay out £big for small power gains when NOS can gain 50BHP easily for £500.
£ for BHP it has to be the most valuable mod, but is it sooo damaging that its rarely used?.
How about if it was run with a switch rather than permanant use and used not very often ?
If i was crazy enough to go through with it would you advise i fit the usual mods (FMIC, mod'd fuel rail, larger injectors etc) or would it be more reliable and safe with standard Subaru parts?.

Last edited by 94impreza; 09 February 2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09 February 2007, 09:55 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

No such thing as a free lunch. Nitrous can be good, but done properly, it's not as cheap as £500.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:44 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

I've pm'd you a link to a well known auction site Zen. £450 complete system, and i've spoken to a few people who have said a knowledgable tuning establishment should be able to fit a wet kit in less than 2 hrs, the guy i know is fitting it himself. I'd do it myself but drilling the inlet manifold doesn't really appeal to me lol.
So maybe £600 is a better estimate of cost.....
Old 09 February 2007, 12:24 PM
jimbo54
Scooby Regular

You will find all the info you need here Wizards of NOS lve owned one of these kits for a number of years never had a problem,as for fitting 2 hours is optomistic to say the least 8 hours would be nearer the mark. The inlet manifold only needs to be drilled if the system being fitted is direct port, meaning one injector for each cylinder. Nitrous is great fun and in my opinion well worth the cost which can end up being a bit more than £500
Old 09 February 2007, 01:10 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I would only ever fit a Wizards of NOS kit, and they are not £500. I've known people to get reasonable results with cheap american kits, but it's not something I would do myself. If you want to do it cheaply, I would recommend getting a Highpower (Wizards of Nos) kit and fit it yourself. Take plenty of time and get it spot on.

Paul
Old 09 February 2007, 01:30 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

There is no problem with NOS if done right; The risks to engine longevity are similar to any other BHP increasing modification when using stock internals.

Done wrong and the consquences are expensive, from exploding inlet manifold to melted pistons, or a wrecked bottom end. Just by getting the mixtures and fueling wrong; Its easy to.

Also even when it is right, as mentioned, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Yes you get a big boost of BHP. But when a engine produces more power, it is more heavily stressed. Consequently, the engine overall lifespan is reduced and it will wear out sooner,

And your right in some extent that the same logic goes for cars remapped or running more than stock BHP on stock engine internals. Which lots of people do - they mod everything except the actual engine internals and expect it to last as long.
Old 09 February 2007, 02:18 PM
Carsey-STI
Scooby Regular

Location: I will be the one in front !!!! - www.scoobysmacs.co.uk

Not sure how many blasts you get from a bottle but at some point you will have to get it re filled, which will cost every time
Old 09 February 2007, 03:32 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

As already mentioned a Wizards of NOS kit is the only one worth fitting. With regard to bottle refills I had an 11lb bottle and it used to cost me £35 to fill up at WON.
Old 09 February 2007, 04:26 PM
jimbo54
Scooby Regular

lve used american nitrous products from Holley nos, nx, and Dynotune didnt trust any of them, nitrous is safe for any engine if you obey the golden rules, if your engine burns oil dont fit det will destroy the engine, start with 25bhp jets and do a static test [ not possible with american kits] build up gradually, because of the cooling effect on turbos 50bhp jets can produce 75bhp or more, above 75bhp fit a controller this will allow the power to be fed in gradually causing less shock. budget for extras, eg pressure gauge, bottle heater. To save cash, look for a good second hand Highpower kit, lve seen them sell for £250.Fit it yourself its easier than you think, Dont be tempted to buy an american kit, for a start you may not be able to have the bottle filled as they are not EU approved.
Old 09 February 2007, 06:35 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

use a controller and use it at wot only,not a prob .go to a proper drag meet and see how many use won kits(other than they wont pass scrutinnering)and a kit with controller can be had for under £500.

popcorn anyone?
Old 09 February 2007, 06:41 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I think as long as you can vent/purge it from the wheel arches at traffic lights, and monitor gudgeon pin temperatures and stresses via your dash mounted laptop, you'll be OK.
Old 09 February 2007, 07:40 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Nitrous is itself isn't bad,it's the lack of fuel equal to the nitrous is the problem afaik.

Get on here and have alook.

NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum :: Index :: From the Wizards of NOS
Old 09 February 2007, 08:44 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

The market is flooded with cheap american stuff, it's what people use because it represents most of what's available. The issue of Highpower stuff and scrutineering is the small bore nylon pipe they use. It's better from a nitrous point of view, but it does have it's draw backs in terms of abrasion resistance and resistance to direct heat. However, for those that need an MSA approved solution from Highpower, you can buy kits with braided lines.

I started with ZEX parts, and upgraded the solenoids, then the nozzle and finally the hose. I have found better results with a smaller dose of nitrous.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Paul

Originally Posted by doppelganger
use a controller and use it at wot only,not a prob .go to a proper drag meet and see how many use won kits(other than they wont pass scrutinnering)and a kit with controller can be had for under £500.

popcorn anyone?
Old 09 February 2007, 08:45 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
I think as long as you can vent/purge it from the wheel arches at traffic lights, and monitor gudgeon pin temperatures and stresses via your dash mounted laptop, you'll be OK.
Maybe you need to get three spoon engines to go with it...
Old 09 February 2007, 09:13 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Some usefull information here thanks, i thought i'd get lynched just for mentioning NOS, it seems like a taboo subject sometimes. I've often wondered what happens to the fuel/air ratio once NOS is mixed, whether it confuses the air flow.
I know now to avoid cheap "Ebay" kits, but i seriously wouldn't consider fitting it myself. I want it under 2 switches, so it doesn't fire me through a wall if i nudged the button accidentally. Might sound easy enough but me and electrics don't mix, at the mere mention of "solenoid" my brain explodes....
I'm not a fast and furious fan either, i've been interested in NOs and its pro's and cons since reading Streetfighter magazine as a spotty teenager.
Do you think a lot of remappers would have the experience in remapping considering the NOS element or would it be a real expert situation?.
Old 09 February 2007, 09:38 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Nitrous is usually trigger via 2 switches which must be both be made for the nitrous to fire. Usually an arming switch on the dash or centre consol, and a microswitch on the throttle so the nitrous is only on during WOT. A controller can progressively increase the nitrous from first activation and/or limit the RPM range in which it operates and many more functions besides.

Paul
Old 09 February 2007, 10:14 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find the biggest thing with it will be the cost everytime you fire the system. As much as you think it'll be a laugh on the road, you soon get fed up filling the damn bottle every week or two. In the end it's probably best kept for 1/4 miling, then you start getting into bottle heating, pressure monitoring, purging, running a proper controller etc. This is from personal experience, not in a Scoob though.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:31 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

Eject the Fast and Furious dvd from the player and leave the nitrous to the dentists and the aerosol cream makers (yes its in there as a propellant,have a look)...
Old 10 February 2007, 07:41 AM
jimbo54
Scooby Regular

To activate the nitrous l use a TP1, its a small box of tricks that connects to the signal wire from your cars TPS the signal causes the solenoids to open only at full throttle,
Old 10 February 2007, 09:40 AM
STi Ben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
Maybe you need to get three spoon engines to go with it...
ya three Spoon engines would pull a treat before race wars
Old 10 February 2007, 09:43 AM
STi Ben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trucker Ted
Eject the Fast and Furious dvd from the player and leave the nitrous to the dentists and the aerosol cream makers (yes its in there as a propellant,have a look)...
i dont supose you have one of those cream makers and travel to the raves in the woods do you lol
Old 14 February 2007, 08:12 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

See how obvious was the "fast and furious" comments when posting about NOS.
Silent running, it'd be a laugh at first and i'd probably use the first bottle quickly but after the novelty has worn off i know i'd use it very rarely. I's not needed most of the but it'd be nice to shock a 911 driver one day .
Old 07 March 2007, 11:56 PM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

Default mmm

I have a Wizards of NOS highpower kit I fitted to my 3.0 24v senator a few years back.

I am aiming for 350 bhp with my 95 wrx (getting the Apexi Power FC fitted in Zen), 550 or so injectors, FMIC, fuel pump etc.

Would it be ok for the car to handle an extra 50bhp shot from the system I have or will that taking it to over 400 make it a bit dodgy on the gear box etc (admitidly the nitrous doesnt last long and I used it on straights, not from a standing start).

Comments!!
Old 08 March 2007, 12:47 AM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

from my experience with my NOS kits (wizards only) you need a heater and gauge, if it aint around 900 psi it aint worth using, but whne it is setup right its the dogs!!!
Old 08 March 2007, 12:49 AM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tronlc
I have a Wizards of NOS highpower kit I fitted to my 3.0 24v senator a few years back.

I am aiming for 350 bhp with my 95 wrx (getting the Apexi Power FC fitted in Zen), 550 or so injectors, FMIC, fuel pump etc.

Would it be ok for the car to handle an extra 50bhp shot from the system I have or will that taking it to over 400 make it a bit dodgy on the gear box etc (admitidly the nitrous doesnt last long and I used it on straights, not from a standing start).

Comments!!
wouldnt worry to much about the bhp figures..using NOS at the right pressure hits your torque levels alot more and thats where u will cause the damage, seriously say bye bye if you have a ty752 early wrx box
Old 08 March 2007, 09:53 AM
tronlc
Scooby Regular

mmm think your rite! Will still fit it and make sure I have a later STI box waiting in my shed!!
Old 08 March 2007, 12:30 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRXshaneWRX
from my experience with my NOS kits (wizards only) you need a heater and gauge, if it aint around 900 psi it aint worth using, but whne it is setup right its the dogs!!!
Exactly so. When the bottle's cold and the pressure's down you might as well be squirting in carb cleaner instead of nitrous.
Old 08 March 2007, 01:23 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Might sound a pleb-ish question here but if switch controlled on NOS setup, how do you match the fuel ratio? Does the mapper set a standard fuel level and then somehow up the fuel when the NOS is activated?
Old 08 March 2007, 04:57 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
Might sound a pleb-ish question here but if switch controlled on NOS setup, how do you match the fuel ratio? Does the mapper set a standard fuel level and then somehow up the fuel when the NOS is activated?
The jet in the fuel solenoid would be set up to the correct ratio following an initial static test and could then be fine tuned on the rollers with an air/fuel meter. As far as I know the jetting of the fuel solenoid is the only thing that determine the nitrous/fuel mixture. Unless of course there are ECU's available that can have a switchable map. One for normal fuelling and one for use with nitrous?
Old 08 March 2007, 05:48 PM
doppelganger
Scooby Regular

Location: 11.23@127mph second drag vw beetle with a stock subaru legacy engine and a 50 shot of gas

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3
The jet in the fuel solenoid would be set up to the correct ratio following an initial static test and could then be fine tuned on the rollers with an air/fuel meter. As far as I know the jetting of the fuel solenoid is the only thing that determine the nitrous/fuel mixture. Unless of course there are ECU's available that can have a switchable map. One for normal fuelling and one for use with nitrous?

yes there is an ecu that will control the nitrous with switchable map im having one fitted to my drag car its the omex 600 i think most of the omex system will

Quick Reply: NOS - No Seriously