Notices

Oil/vapour from breather pipe ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2007, 06:58 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil/vapour from breather pipe ?

I have some water/oil in my catch tank.Ive emptied the catch tank and cleaned all the breather pipes out. I let the car run with the breather pipe which goes to the catch tank disconnected to see if anything else comes out of it.
Theres no oil visible but lots of vapour/oil vapour which smells quite strong of petrol,when I rev the car more vapour comes out of the pipe,with the car idling its puffing out of the pipe,almost looks like a kettle boiling !!!

Any ideas what is causing this ?
Old 03 February 2007, 08:41 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Anyone ?
Old 03 February 2007, 09:25 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knackered piston rings? But isn't it just doing what it should do?
Old 03 February 2007, 09:31 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Knackered piston rings? But isn't it just doing what it should do?
I don't know mate that's why I'm asking !!

It's only got 9000 miles on a new Api engine so I hope it isn't knackered pistons

I thought if the engine was knackered that you would get wet oil blowing out of the breather pipe,this is more just vapour but it seems alot to me and smells quite strong ??
Old 04 February 2007, 11:06 AM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Anyone else got any ideas or experienced this ?
Old 04 February 2007, 02:33 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Strong petrol smell would be a bit worrying in my opinion - has the car been mapped?
Might be a dribbling Injector causing excess fuel in the oil.
Worse case scenario if you have excess fueling would be Bore Wash(the petrol washing the oil film off the Cylinder Bore giving rapid wear),and in turn giving you excessive blow by.
All engine's "breathe" to a greater/lesser extent - you need to know if yours is excessive( Compression Test/Cylinder Leak Down Test)
Old 04 February 2007, 03:03 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
The Strong petrol smell would be a bit worrying in my opinion - has the car been mapped?
Might be a dribbling Injector causing excess fuel in the oil.
Worse case scenario if you have excess fueling would be Bore Wash(the petrol washing the oil film off the Cylinder Bore giving rapid wear),and in turn giving you excessive blow by.
All engine's "breathe" to a greater/lesser extent - you need to know if yours is excessive( Compression Test/Cylinder Leak Down Test)
Yes the car has been mapped by paul @ Zen performance,was there last weekend to check out high knock readings on my powerFC and he said all was fine with it !

What compression readings should I have ?

Just had a look at whats coming out of the pipe and it looks like mayo,like water mixed with oil ??
Old 04 February 2007, 03:34 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Depending on Piston type/head gasket thickness,compressions in the region of 145-165psi per cylinder(dont have the manual to hand) but should be fairly even across all 4 cylinders.
Paul is a good Mapper-so shouldnt be a prob in that department,but if there is a strong fuel smell - might still be a dribbling Injector or something similar.
The Mayo is normally Emulsified Oil, can be caused by short journeys in the vehicle esp. in this weather(condensation forming inside the Cam Covers due to low Oil Temp) or something more serious like a Head Gasket on the way out.
Hope some of this helps you.
Old 04 February 2007, 03:41 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Depending on Piston type/head gasket thickness,compressions in the region of 145-165psi per cylinder(dont have the manual to hand) but should be fairly even across all 4 cylinders.
Paul is a good Mapper-so shouldnt be a prob in that department,but if there is a strong fuel smell - might still be a dribbling Injector or something similar.
The Mayo is normally Emulsified Oil, can be caused by short journeys in the vehicle esp. in this weather(condensation forming inside the Cam Covers due to low Oil Temp) or something more serious like a Head Gasket on the way out.
Would the fact that the car has been stood for a few weeks cause alot of condensation then ?
There does seem to be alot of condensation coming from the breather pipe,how long does it take to clear this out with normal every day driving ?

I have 550cc injectors,would this be a possible cause ?
Old 04 February 2007, 09:08 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Just had a look through some paperwork that I got with the car when I bought it and there was a compression test done on the car just before I bought it and that is showing around 170psi on all 4 cylinders so that looks ok.

Out of interest,my car us running 1.4 bar,anyone else running this much boost get anything similar from your breather pipes ??
Old 04 February 2007, 09:40 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

it is fairly normal to get some vapour out.. there is a reasonable amount of condensation within the engine.. also for emulsified oil in the breathers when plumbed off to a catch tank.. the smell of fuel in it is not normal though..

when was the oil last changed? if you pull the dipstick and check that for fuel smell.. as said if you have petrol in the oil check for a leaking injector.

Simon
Old 04 February 2007, 09:41 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

oh and you can check the injectors by pulling an injector plug off with the engine idling.. if there is no or little change in the engine note then that injector is leaking.. the engine should hunt a little and change note etc.. although not full proof but gives an indication.

Simon
Old 04 February 2007, 10:41 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
it is fairly normal to get some vapour out.. there is a reasonable amount of condensation within the engine.. also for emulsified oil in the breathers when plumbed off to a catch tank.. the smell of fuel in it is not normal though..

when was the oil last changed? if you pull the dipstick and check that for fuel smell.. as said if you have petrol in the oil check for a leaking injector.

Simon
The oil has just been changed. I don't think it smells of fuel maybe as much as I have made out !! Doesn't smell of fuel on the dipstick at all.

Ill drive it around for a few days and see what happens.
Old 05 February 2007, 07:25 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

If it doesn’t smell of fuel then its fine, your crank case breather will always breathe more, and even more so on a new engine due the rings bedding in.
Old 05 February 2007, 07:46 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Un-ink*
If it doesn’t smell of fuel then its fine, your crank case breather will always breathe more, and even more so on a new engine due the rings bedding in.
I got someone else to smell it and they don't think it smells of fuel !

Ive got a hell of alot of condensation coming from the breather today but no oil at all so maybe its just clearing out whats built up in the engine due to being stood for a few weeks ?
Old 28 March 2007, 12:06 AM
odedra
Scooby Newbie

hello mate

did you get to the bottom of the problem.... i've got the same problem with my94 import.... runnin 1.5 bar???? and smokin from the breather!!!
Old 28 March 2007, 07:23 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by odedra
hello mate

did you get to the bottom of the problem.... i've got the same problem with my94 import.... runnin 1.5 bar???? and smokin from the breather!!!
Paul@Zen Performance told me this is normal. It is mostly condensation and emulsified oil that comes out of the breather. I just empty my catch tank periodically,better to have it going in there than back in the engine.
Old 29 March 2007, 12:52 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

condensation is relatively normal through the breathers - about 10% of the liquid caught in my catch tank is water