Notices

What boost are you running on an early classic (<1996)

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2007, 09:41 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What boost are you running on an early classic (<1996)

Just out of interest what boost are/have you been running on a pre 1996 classic and what sort of power are you getting out of it and how long has the engine lasted at that boost? Please list mods if you have any?
Old 19 January 2007, 09:46 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY95 WRX 1.2bar 305bhp, Air filter, Full de-cat,up pipe, Frontmount intercooler, Scoobyecu mapped and fitted at the scooby clinic
Old 19 January 2007, 09:48 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

I have a 95 WRX with the following:

Walbro pump
Fuelabs regulator
Decat DP
Blitz Nur Spec R
Apexi cone filter
FMIC
Apexi PFC & boost solenoid

Mapped by Andy F at 1.4 bar. Not had it on the rollers so no idea of the figure on paper but on the road it pulls very nicely!
Old 19 January 2007, 09:49 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Knighty99
MY95 WRX 1.2bar 305bhp, Air filter, Full de-cat,up pipe, Frontmount intercooler, Scoobyecu mapped and fitted at the scooby clinic
Nice, thats exactly what I'm after got a induction kit, decat, FMIC and 440cc injectors myself in a 1993WRX, have a postal map from ESL suitable for it all and I'm just waiting to take it to powerstation now to set the boost limit and get a power run in. Was hoping for a reliable 300bhp but not really sure what boost is safe in a WRX.

Bet that goes like stink!
Old 19 January 2007, 09:56 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

Yea it does go well, i want to get a 3 port boost solonoid fitted so i can run more boost. want to get close to 350bhp if i can?
Old 19 January 2007, 09:59 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea it does go well, i want to get a 3 port boost solonoid fitted so i can run more boost. want to get close to 350bhp if i can?
the 95 comes with a 3port boost solenoid as standard.. injectors probably the next thing holding you back.

Simon
Old 19 January 2007, 10:08 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

the 95 comes with a 3port boost solenoid as standard.. injectors probably the next thing holding you back.

Simon
AAhhhaa, i was under the impression that i needed one fitted when i went and have the re-map done at the SC?
Chers for pointing that out mate
Dan

Trending Topics

Old 19 January 2007, 10:24 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Think the problem with running more boost is not the boost solenoid but the stock ECU limitations (which the scoobyecu is bound by) dawes device would be the cheapest way around, but ideally a power FC with proper remap, even then I think you may have to get some sort of boost controller.

gatecrasher3: Can hardly believe 1.4 bar is possible on standard internals. That must be pushing about 320+ bhp out! How long have you been running at that much boost?
Old 19 January 2007, 10:26 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

I was running 1.5 bar at around 350 bhp for around 2 or 3 years of ownership of my 1995 WRX and it never missed a beat.

I had a lot of mods though,
Hybrid FMIC,
Front Entry TD05,
Walbro 255lt Fuel Pump,
550cc Injectors,
HKS Induction Kit,
Parallel fuel rail mod,
Raised Manifold,
Samco Inlet,
3 inch Blitz Full System inc Hayward and Scott 3 inch up and down pipe,
SX Fuel Pressure Regulator,
Link ECU,
Apexi AVCR Boost Controller.

Im sure i have missed a few things engine wise

ps I also see you fitted a FMIC which you prob had no need to fit as you now have some lag, only really need a FMIC if you are gonna be running 400bhp or above.

Im running 400bhp on 2002 STI and still have a TMIC as dont want any lag associated with the FMIC, although it is an £800 Hyperflow beast of a top mount.

Last edited by scoobboy; 19 January 2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 19 January 2007, 10:33 PM
james-wrx
Scooby Regular

AAhhhaa, i was under the impression that i needed one fitted when i went and have the re-map done at the SC?
Chers for pointing that out mate
Dan
Hi mate,

Not quite a standard 1995 WRX JDM

2.2L stroker engine with forged crank, rod's and pistons.
Clever cam's !
Adjustable FPR
Uprated TMIC
HKS Induction Kit
Decat Downpipe with APS straight through 3.5 Inch Exhaust
Hybrid IHI Turbo
Uprated Adjustable actuator
Fuel swirl pot
Blitz DSBC R boost controller

Run's 1.1 Bar on 97 Ron circa 300+hp
Run's 1.3 Bar on Optimax circa ????? FAST !

Had a little daliance with a Cayman S and got past quite comfortably from 30-100 (private road)
The car has a P1 gearbox with quickshift so 0-100 is pretty brutal !
Old 19 January 2007, 10:36 PM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

Think the problem with running more boost is not the boost solenoid but the stock ECU limitations (which the scoobyecu is bound by) dawes device would be the cheapest way around, but ideally a power FC with proper remap, even then I think you may have to get some sort of boost controller.
I had the car re-mapped on the rollin road and was under the impression that you i could c the same results through the board i had fitted, as opposed to havin the Apexi fitted but without the oppertunity to fiddle with the settings?
Old 19 January 2007, 10:50 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

I had the car re-mapped on the rollin road and was under the impression that you i could c the same results through the board i had fitted, as opposed to havin the Apexi fitted but without the oppertunity to fiddle with the settings?
I'm sure you can get the same results, its just that the standard ECU literally cannot set boost much above 1.1bar, someone jump in here who knows what they are on about with the exact value. (It must be something to do with the amount of binary bits the ECU dedicates to boost value I would have thought). I think that all other aspects will be near enough identical between a well mapped scoobyecu and well mapped powerFC.

Re FMIC vs TMIC: I wan under the impression that the standard top mounts on the early WRX's were absolutely pants, not like the ones on the new sti's for example. From what Scott.T said on here once you get close to 300bhp your main barriers are the slanted TMIC followed by the injectors. Just going off what I have ready though, not from experience.

Last edited by borat52; 19 January 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 19 January 2007, 10:57 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

correct in that any ecu using the original MAP sensor cannot see more than around 1.23bar, they vary slightly..

You cannot run much more than 1.2bar on the original phase 1 intercooler.. so a fmic on a phase 1 is a very good move.

Simon
Old 19 January 2007, 11:30 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

currently 1.1 bar on a 95...but its a legacy engine which I believe is lower compression anyway

...bigger turbo (spec unknown), 440 injectors, fuel pump, induciton kit and Apexi FC
getting it mapped on Sunday
RR booked for February
Old 20 January 2007, 09:34 AM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
gatecrasher3: Can hardly believe 1.4 bar is possible on standard internals. That must be pushing about 320+ bhp out! How long have you been running at that much boost?
It's been set up like that since October. Prior to that I still had the top mount on and it was only at 1.2 bar. I plan to fit 440cc injectors, uprated headers and up-pipe later on in the year and have it mapped again for the last time to suit.
Old 20 January 2007, 09:38 AM
Knighty99
Scooby Regular

correct in that any ecu using the original MAP sensor cannot see more than around 1.23bar, they vary slightly..

You cannot run much more than 1.2bar on the original phase 1 intercooler.. so a fmic on a phase 1 is a very good move.

Simon
What would be the best way to run more boost? Would it be going down the apexi route or can u change the map sensor
Cheers Dan
Old 20 January 2007, 10:22 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

different boost control method.. dawes, electronic boost controller.. or yes a different map sensor can be used.

Simon
Old 20 January 2007, 11:59 AM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster

Simon
So you are saying that everyone should run a FMIC if running 1.2 bar+ and dismiss every other TMIC inc STI8 on the classics, APS and Hyperflow?
Old 20 January 2007, 01:27 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

<------------------ See Here
Old 20 January 2007, 04:19 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobboy
So you are saying that everyone should run a FMIC if running 1.2 bar+ and dismiss every other TMIC inc STI8 on the classics, APS and Hyperflow?
I would have thought that a FMIC is going to do a better job of cooling than any top mount simply because of where it is mounted with cold air forced straight at it.
Old 20 January 2007, 05:25 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

No thats not what he was saying, just that the FMIC on early classics is terrible and a FMIC is an excellent upgrade over the standard one. As for the debate between a good top mount and front mount, I think that with an early classic its a mute point becuase if your just doing reasonably priced mods without playing with the engine internals then the cheapest upgrade which gets the result you want is what your after. I've yet to see a sti8 intercooler for sale for the price of a cheap FMIC, and then you've got to find a way to fit it.
Old 20 January 2007, 05:27 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

no as has been explained I said the Original Phase 1 TMIC isn't upto the job so needs changing and a FMIC is a good move.. other TMIC are also a good move.. whether to go fmic or large tmic is another discussion.. both have advantages and disadvantages..

Simon

Last edited by Jolly Green Monster; 20 January 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 20 January 2007, 11:50 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatecrasher3
I would have thought that a FMIC is going to do a better job of cooling than any top mount simply because of where it is mounted with cold air forced straight at it.
What i was getting at was the lag factor, i had a FMIC on my classic and thought it was great due to being a hybrid and i was running 350bhp.

It is a good option nowadays as one can be had for a few hundred quid but you have to watch the quality as have heard of a few not handle the power and blow up.

I am running a Hyperflow TMIC on my STI8 as wanted a fast road setup with minimum lag for 400bhp.

It depends on what you want, if anything i would change to a hyperflow monster FMIC if i go any higher than 400bhp but worried about the lag.

Maybe one day there will be a full rundown for comparison of
STI8 vs
Hyperflow top mount vs
APS top mount vs
standard top mount vs
cheap FMIC vs
Hybrid FMIC vs
APS FMIC vs
Hyperflow FMIC vs
HKS FMIC

at all bhp levels, well 300, 350, 400, 450 and 500bhp anyway, then that would inform people on what to go for, for each level of power they wish to achieve.
Old 20 January 2007, 11:53 PM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
no as has been explained I said the Original Phase 1 TMIC isn't upto the job so needs changing and a FMIC is a good move.. other TMIC are also a good move.. whether to go fmic or large tmic is another discussion.. both have advantages and disadvantages..

Simon
you are right as they are making the FMIC cheap as chips, but as i said you have to watch what you get and be wary of extra lag associated

standard top mounts on the classic wrx are shocking