Notices

Calling :-WRX owners who have fitted a VF35 turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2007, 08:53 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling :-WRX owners who have fitted a VF35 turbo ?

A couple of Q's if I may for WRX Bug / Blob -eye owners only please ( STi's need not apply)

( I have searched already "VF35" before someone flames me .....)

Interested to hear your thoughts on fitting a VF35 to a standard WRX with supporting mods :-

Therefore can I ask :-
  • what power gains you have with what mods ?
  • are your running STi pinks specifically ?
  • did you / have you considered a Hybrid TD04 ?
I recently purchased a VF35 but I love the instant pull form the TD04. If the lag on a VF35 is significant then I might opt for the TD04-H. I love the Td04 as it's basically on tap the minute you're on the apex of a corner. Equally I fancy more mid range torque hence my dilemma........

Currently running 280 bhp / 265 ft lbs on my Ecutek'd 2002 WRX. It's pretty damn quick but i fancy a bit more oomph at the end of the rev range

Any thoughts / experiences welcome please

Many thanks in advance

Calum

Last edited by ~~ Cal ~~; 16 January 2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 16 January 2007, 09:11 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Can' have searched too hard

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...0549-vf35.html

See post 10

And for the spool

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html

Damo
Old 16 January 2007, 09:32 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Hi i'm running vf35 STI pinks equal length headers de-cat and 3 inch stainless. My car puts out 320 bhp and just over 400nm of torque at only 1.25 of boost (I didn't want to overdo the boost on WRX bottom end). Powerstation mapped the car for me and must say i'm very pleased the vf35 spools almost as quick as a TD04 and give great mid range punch.

Cheers Liam
Old 16 January 2007, 10:31 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Damocell - thanks

Liam - I assume you have an uprated fuel pump ?
Nice figures regardless. Are you missing the burble or is the rally style rasp still floating your boat ?

Thanks
CGS

Last edited by ~~ Cal ~~; 16 January 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 16 January 2007, 10:48 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

you will notice the lag but soon learn to drive around it on the road, i think any bigger turbo will feel more laggy as you get a bigger bang when they do come in

i havn't seen enough td04 hybrid results yet to warrant the extra

i wouldn't expect more than 320 from a vf35 ( it may happen but don't expect it )

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 16 January 2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 17 January 2007, 01:14 AM
moto
Scooby Regular

I can post my TD04 Hybrid graphs at the weekend if you like?
Old 17 January 2007, 01:39 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Yes i have the uprated pump seemed stupid not to as it's a cheap part about 65 quid if my memory serves me. Don't really miss the burble the extra ft lbs all the way through the rev range was what i was after. I know people that have achieved around the 350 bhp from the vf35 with similar mods to me by running more boost then the 1.25 bar i run but i prefer to play it safe as my car is a WRX not sti. Think this turbo was fitted standard to the WR1 and most people have no probs getting somewhere near to 350bhp with decat and remap.
Old 17 January 2007, 06:05 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

TOLD YOU THAT "PINKS" WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA!

Russell (quiet now)
Old 17 January 2007, 09:03 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

We do a lot of that sort of conversion. Typically an exhaust (if not already fitted) fuel pump, pink injectors (often used), vf35 turbo, remap and optionally an STI intercooler.

You can expect around 310hp without too much trouble, better ones with the STI intercooler have made over 340hp.
Old 17 January 2007, 11:08 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ~~ Cal ~~
A couple of Q's if I may for WRX Bug / Blob -eye owners only please ( STi's need not apply)

( I have searched already "VF35" before someone flames me .....)

Interested to hear your thoughts on fitting a VF35 to a standard WRX with supporting mods :-

Therefore can I ask :-
  • what power gains you have with what mods ?
  • are your running STi pinks specifically ?
  • did you / have you considered a Hybrid TD04 ?
I recently purchased a VF35 but I love the instant pull form the TD04. If the lag on a VF35 is significant then I might opt for the TD04-H. I love the Td04 as it's basically on tap the minute you're on the apex of a corner. Equally I fancy more mid range torque hence my dilemma........

Currently running 280 bhp / 265 ft lbs on my Ecutek'd 2002 WRX. It's pretty damn quick but i fancy a bit more oomph at the end of the rev range

Any thoughts / experiences welcome please

Many thanks in advance

Calum
Hi there,

Mine is the car referred to in the "API and BRD transformed my car" thread.

People often confuse lag with spool threshold. To clarify, my experience is that the VF35 spools slightly later than the TD04, but I didn't notice any significant increase in lag (i.e. delay in response to the throttle being pressed) It's a quick spooling turbo.You can reduce the spool threshold by having your headers ported (and wrapped) this will also liberate more bhp.

My classic made 319 on a day with 30+ degree ambient temps. Very impressed with this turbo (it's a noisy bugger, but I like that) Wouldn't surprise me if you got more than 320 on a new age.

ns04
Old 17 January 2007, 06:16 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calum,
Here's a Delta Dash comparision of my car when it was first in PPP guise and then with a VF35 added and mapped by Paul @ Zen.

Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  43.2 KB

It may give a useful comparision of what your 280/265 tune will be compared with a VF35 at 1.4 bar.
Remember that this is real road conditions and it is power/torque at the wheels.
The VF35 set up just pulls away after 2600 rpm and l can't say that I've had to change my driving style to cope with any noticeable lag.
The supporting items were all out of the Subaru OEM parts bin apart from a 3 port solenoid, so many items were snapped up from Ebay from STi owners getting rid of PPP items and from crashed STIs.
The only unusual items were the TGV valves not being present and I did some porting on the exhaust headers, throttle body and the turbo.
It is also running a Prodrive sports cat - no decat needed to get a decent output.

So yes, its running pinkies
and no, the cost of a hybrid TD04 against the cost of a well chosen s/hand VF35 was a no brainer.

The set up has now done 23,000 miles in a year but now has to eb taken apart as the car is being sold.

Hope it helps.

Nick

Last edited by Butty; 17 January 2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 17 January 2007, 09:32 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Nick - many thanks for that - gonna go the VF35 route after reading your post . Got a VF35 wth 5k miles on it from an STi8 for £250 which seemed a very fair price

I too have a Sports Cat ( TSL thundercat) and notice no real difference with it over an old H&S decat I used to have.

Cannot believe the nice flat torque curve you've now got !

Thanks for the help fellas !

Calum
Old 18 January 2007, 06:27 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very pleased with my VF35 on my MY98 WRX, which replaced a TD04. Slightly higher spool threshold, (my old TD04 started getting going around 2500 rpm!) but keeps going across the rest of the revs and holds boost much better. I have it running at 1.4 bar with no problems. Only thing is you'll find it's noisier than what you're used to so don't get freaked out when it seems to whistle a lot. The price you can get one for makes it a no-brainer as someone pointed out above.
Old 18 January 2007, 10:29 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
We do a lot of that sort of conversion. Typically an exhaust (if not already fitted) fuel pump, pink injectors (often used), vf35 turbo, remap and optionally an STI intercooler.

You can expect around 310hp without too much trouble, better ones with the STI intercooler have made over 340hp.
Yep, STI IC/scoop/undertray does seem to help achieve better figures. My 05 made 348x333 via DD..

You will notice a small difference in response at first but this soon disappears (largely due to the harder mid/upper range performance). Stick with ported OEM headers BTW.

Also, as said, the VF35 is noisy, but IMHO this just adds to the experience

Finally, just to confuse things, the TD04H seems to be an excellent turbo and there are a few people on here who have had great results. I think it would have a slight edge (response wise) over a VF35. As to whether this is worth the extra £££ is debatable..!

PS bear in mind the VF35 will need some minor porting of the WG opening.

05 WRX (engine):

VF35 (ported)
2.5" decat with ported/wrapped headers
green panel filter
STI TMIC/scoop/splitter
STI pinks
Walbro
NGK PRF7b's
ported IC/TB pipework
Ecutek (BRD)