Notices

New age tuning advice with Prodrive pack parts

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2007, 02:11 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb New age tuning advice with Prodrive pack parts

I intend to fit a Prodrive Sports cat and 3rd cat removal pipe from the 05 STI PPP along with a panel filter and Samco intercooler hose kit. The car is MY 05 WRX and is standard at present apart from a Prodrive BB.

Couple of questions.

1. Are there any possible problems or issues with these mods without having the car remapped. What sort of changes would i expect to see in terms of BHP/Torque, driveability and fuel consumption.

2. How would the above change with a remap. Would not be looking for anything radical as the car is a daily driver but something up around WRX PPP figures would be fine.

Old 14 January 2007, 11:48 AM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arch..

I asked a simillar question recently.....seems like you must have a re-map or you could have boost/lean running problems.

Here's the thread

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...st-re-map.html

Cheers....
Old 14 January 2007, 02:19 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Johnny thanks for the link had missed the end of that thread. The warranty issue is one that I am also concerned about and is a dilema. I have the prodrive sports cat and 3rd cat removal pipe but have not fitted them so may just hang onto them and stick with just the back box fitted for now.
Old 14 January 2007, 02:40 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Arch

My 53 plate ppp was remapped using the existing ppp package (exhaust & fuel pump) and added a green panel filter. Went for the TSL 333 remap. Power was 332 bhp/ 300 torque for reference.

Cost was £600.00 which included the license. Moved on since then but not bad performance for the money.
Old 14 January 2007, 07:24 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RLE
Arch

My 53 plate ppp was remapped using the existing ppp package (exhaust & fuel pump) and added a green panel filter. Went for the TSL 333 remap. Power was 332 bhp/ 300 torque for reference.

Cost was £600.00 which included the license. Moved on since then but not bad performance for the money.
Thats some figures for very little in the way of mods. I would not be looking for anything like that 260-280bhp with some torque improvements would do me just fine. But there is the warranty issue.
Old 14 January 2007, 08:38 PM
trainer
Scooby Regular

The dealer cannot tell if you have had a remap and as you are fitting Prodrive parts your warranty should not be affected
Old 14 January 2007, 09:30 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trainer
The dealer cannot tell if you have had a remap and as you are fitting Prodrive parts your warranty should not be affected

This was my original logic but the WRX does not have a sports cat fitted as part of the PPP and there does seem to be issues with this part if the ECU is not mapped to suit the change in airflow characteristics at the output of the turbo. If I were to fit the items listed and say for example the Turbo gave up while still under warranty they could argue that this could be due to the fitment of a sports cat which is not designed for the map on the standard ecu, you could then argue it has been mapped to suit, either way the warranty would be invalidated. On the other side of the coin it is not really in the dealers interest to do this as they are franchises and they would effectively be turning away work for themselves. I suppose it is all down to every individuals perception of the amount of risk they are willing to take.
I am still unsure but feel that if the dealer really wanted to find out if the car was mapped there would be a method.

Another option could perhaps be to go with the Prodrive BB and 3rd cat removal pipe along with the uprated intercooler hose and a panel filter but not sure if this would give any noticeable gains.

Old 14 January 2007, 09:51 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Arch

Another option could perhaps be to go with the Prodrive BB and 3rd cat removal pipe along with the uprated intercooler hose and a panel filter but not sure if this would give any noticeable gains.

Re the above, I'm not sure these mods would crate any noticeable improvement either.

The way to go is as, the sports cat etc, then remap to really see any gain.
270 bhp is also achievable from these mods.
Old 14 January 2007, 10:07 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Bob thanks, tend to agree. Think it will come down to a decision on the risk on the warranty issue.
Old 14 January 2007, 10:11 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

If you value your warranty you are stuck with what Subaru approve of for your particular car, whether it be for a WRX or a STi. However once the warranty is up it's open season & you can go as far as your nerve or your budget will allow.

When the warranty ran out on my already PPP'd MY03 WRX Stealth Wagon I went for a modest increase in power using a H&S zorst (Group Buy) & a remap.

Hayward & Scott 100 cell high flow down pipe (only 2 BHP loss over decat pipe & MOT friendly)

H&S Up pipe

H&S Centre pipe straight through

I already had the short section from the PPP & the Backbox.

Followed by a Tek3 re-map with Pat Herborn to get everything flowing nicely.

Resulting in :-

290bhp up from 252bhp (PPP)

275lbft up from 263lbft (PPP)

Boost 1.3bar up from 1.2bar.

I am a happy bunny

Mark