Notices

Newbie question: MY97 2.2L MAF failure...what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2007, 03:04 AM
Nihilator
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question: MY97 2.2L MAF failure...what are my options?

Hello all!

My wife's completely unmodified MY97 (Brighton Edition 2.2L, 85k miles, auto) has been suffering from an inconsistent idle, occasional stalling, and weak acceleration / power output for the past couple of days. We took it to the local Subaru dealership for a diagnostic and they said the MAF sensor was bad. The replacement cost would be $600...$400 for the new MAF and $200 for installation / clearing codes / resetting the ECU.

I have a MKIV Jetta and I'm active on VW forums, so I'm well aware of (other people's) MAF-related problems. I'm also completely comfortable with a wrench.

After searching here on the Subie forums, I see that cleaning the MAF with brake cleaner or isopropyl alcohol is an option. (We do that with VW MAFs, too!) Does anyone have an opinion on the success rate of that?

After cleaning, or replacing, what do I need to do to get the car back on the road? Clear codes? Force an ECU reset? With a MKIV VW, we disconnect both battery cables from the battery, briefly touch them together, and reconnect them. Same deal?

Without going to the dealership, what are my other options for replacing it? Auto parts stores? Junkyards? How specific is the range of MAF part numbers...will the MAF from any 2.2L work?

Thanks much in advance for your help!

--Chris
Old 05 January 2007, 08:28 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Im not familiar with with that model, but the 97 uk impreza mafs are very robust. However if it has the same procedure, replace the maf, disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to reset ecu, or connect the two connectors under the steering column to reset the ecu. Drive the car steadily so the ecu adjusts the settings.

Andy
Old 05 January 2007, 09:18 AM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ECU reset (from Jolly Green Monster - ECU Mapping from here)

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk