Notices

Induction heat shield, Where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2007, 03:20 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Induction heat shield, Where can I get one?

Bonjour to you all. I've read, digested and pondered alot over the past few days with regards to wheather or not I should fit an Induction kit to my Preface lift Import WRX. I've decided I'm gonna go for it. I want to fit a FMIC and love the roar of the induction kit, too badly to miss out.

To help protect the MAF, I've been advised to get myself a Heat shield for the Induction kit. Now I've seen a few home made jobbies, which to be fair do the job. But, they're not the best looking bits of kit. Does anyone know of a company of someone who makes a proffessional looking shield.

I'm after a shield that covers the sides as well as the top, so with ducting i can get maxium cold air around the cone.

If I can't buy one I'll make one I guess. Anyone got any good photos of a completed version?

Any ideas?
Old 04 January 2007, 03:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Harvey makes and supplies them, and from the pics ive seen he does a good job.

Do a search on his name in here then PM him
Old 05 January 2007, 07:42 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anyone esle know of any such piece of kit. Nice to have a bit of choice. If not a "Harvey" item it is.
Old 05 January 2007, 08:18 PM
doug2507
Scooby Regular

Harvey's item is very good. If youre after the bling factor, then you can use aluminium for the inside and carbon for the outside with a rubber edging strip. Also have a look at "pickle"'s P1. Has a very tasty heat shield. If you cant find him here go to the projects thread on p1woc.
Old 06 January 2007, 02:50 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Right, well I found a number of different item professional made for later spec Impreza's but still none for the classic. Anyone any idea?
Old 06 January 2007, 03:07 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Nice one on this P1 here mate. Not sure who did the work but the seller may be able to help.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...1-14000-a.html
Old 07 January 2007, 09:41 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make your own heat divider fairly easily and it will work well providing you use the right materials. I use a sheet of carbon fibre but because it is not a good heat barrier I clad it with a reflective heat mat on the side facing the engine. I would not use metal or aluminium as they are good heat conductors.
With a large sheet of cardboard you can make a template to run along the chassis rail from the drivers side suspension strut turret to the very front of the car between the radiator and headlight. Once the template is perfected I cut a sheet of carbon fibre and make holes in it to accomodate the inlet tract and any boost pipes. Removing the carbon canister makes the job easier. The divider is held in place by a single 'L' shaped bracket and when I am happy with the fit I then add a layer of insulated heat mat.

If someone is prepared to put the photographs on here I can send them several shots to show what is required and how to increase the cold air to the segregated filter area.
The top has a strip of door seal rubber and this helps to sit flush with the bonnet but a tight seal is not required.
Old 08 January 2007, 08:42 PM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

you could go for a cold-air induction kit, - might save you all the hassle of fabricating/buying a heat-shield.
Old 08 January 2007, 09:16 PM
gatecrasher3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
You can make your own heat divider fairly easily and it will work well providing you use the right materials. I use a sheet of carbon fibre but because it is not a good heat barrier I clad it with a reflective heat mat on the side facing the engine. I would not use metal or aluminium as they are good heat conductors.
With a large sheet of cardboard you can make a template to run along the chassis rail from the drivers side suspension strut turret to the very front of the car between the radiator and headlight. Once the template is perfected I cut a sheet of carbon fibre and make holes in it to accomodate the inlet tract and any boost pipes. Removing the carbon canister makes the job easier. The divider is held in place by a single 'L' shaped bracket and when I am happy with the fit I then add a layer of insulated heat mat.

If someone is prepared to put the photographs on here I can send them several shots to show what is required and how to increase the cold air to the segregated filter area.
The top has a strip of door seal rubber and this helps to sit flush with the bonnet but a tight seal is not required.
Send me the pictures and I will put them up for you. I am interested in making a shield myself. gatecrasher_3@hotmail.com
Old 08 January 2007, 09:34 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarkFitz
you could go for a cold-air induction kit, - might save you all the hassle of fabricating/buying a heat-shield.
Do they do a cold air induction kit for the classic scooby? I thought that they wereonly for the new age Impreza's.
Old 08 January 2007, 09:39 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

This might help.....

Old 08 January 2007, 11:09 PM
jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rooferman
This might help.....

Don't suppose you have a photo of the finished article do you, so I know what it should look like? Cheers Dan
Old 09 January 2007, 09:26 AM
MarkFitz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Do they do a cold air induction kit for the classic scooby? I thought that they wereonly for the new age Impreza's.
APS do a cold air kit for the 99MY onwards. Unfortunately, they stopped making ones for 97/98MY. I've got a GGR ind. kit and DIY heatshield in my 97MY and have measured 40degC at the cone when the car is stationary for more than a minute (traffic lights, etc.) Gotta be mindful to allow the temps to stabilise after pulling away since I've got an aftermarket ECU mapped to 1.2bar and have no det protection, apart from the CEL.

As a result, I'll have to look at an uprated IC to compensate, but if I could I would go for a cold-air kit to help protect the engine.
Old 05 May 2007, 09:47 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jiffthejiffmanjaffa
Don't suppose you have a photo of the finished article do you, so I know what it should look like? Cheers Dan

bttt any pics of this fitted?
Old 05 May 2007, 11:23 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...d-divider.html

Another vote for Harvey - will be fitting mine next weekend