Notices

JDM Sti 8 - Any downside to fitting unequal length headers?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2006, 09:15 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Sti 8 - Any downside to fitting unequal length headers?

Are there any performance losses to fitting unequal length headers etc,? Or is it a good idea keeping the "rally car" noise that I have got at the moment?
Old 21 December 2006, 09:27 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Multijfj
Are there any performance losses to fitting unequal length headers etc,? Or is it a good idea keeping the "rally car" noise that I have got at the moment?
Only if they are of a poor quality...Try Lateral , Zen or RCM ones...I believe they all come from the same manufacturer...Excellent quality and have only ever seen gains in both power and torque......
Old 21 December 2006, 09:43 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Multijfj
Massive downside!!! Equal length headers are the envy of many UK car owners, because the equal lengths give a far better gas flow than the unequal length. Forget noise, it's quality and performance on the road that counts. If you want to lose power and torque, then fit them. People buy JDM STI's mainly for 2 things which are superior to the UK cars:

1: Twin scroll turbo

2. Equal length headers

If you want to fit anything to your car, fit things that will make it faster, not slower!! Go to Powerstation and have their JDM upgrade package which will give you around 340-350bhp and similar torque. (remap & Milltek exhaust)
Old 21 December 2006, 11:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it this way, uk sti's need to change their headers to get anywhere near the sort of power a JDM car can push, and even then the torque just isnt near it.
Change to unequal length and you will loose serious power (plus you will need to remap etc) so you may as well have just bought a uk car.

Tony
Old 22 December 2006, 08:57 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Massive downside!!! Equal length headers are the envy of many UK car owners, because the equal lengths give a far better gas flow than the unequal length. Forget noise, it's quality and performance on the road that counts. If you want to lose power and torque, then fit them. People buy JDM STI's mainly for 2 things which are superior to the UK cars:

2. Equal length headers

If you want to fit anything to your car, fit things that will make it faster, not slower!! Go to Powerstation and have their JDM upgrade package which will give you around 340-350bhp and similar torque. (remap & Milltek exhaust)
leave them as they are
Old 22 December 2006, 10:03 AM
scoobboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG

2. Equal length headers

Total agree have equal length headers on my 400bhp sti7, although the burble of the scoob is away the spool up and power gains are great especially with the matched uppipe and down pipe and system.
Old 22 December 2006, 10:48 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Don't change them, you will regret it
Old 23 December 2006, 06:49 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Turns out they will stay equal then lol -

I have already got a nice exhaust so thats a bonus, and a remap, which I am running at 330bhp with, the new year brings full decat and another remap, with a hope of 340 odd
Old 23 December 2006, 07:07 PM
wrc350+
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Only if they are of a poor quality...Try Lateral , Zen or RCM ones...I believe they all come from the same manufacturer...Excellent quality and have only ever seen gains in both power and torque......
i if true that all come from same manufacturer who can dispute 3 top tuners? team ice and gobstopper unequal, if more from equal they would of done it, unless im misinformed
Old 23 December 2006, 08:45 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember....

The twin scroll turbo and equal length headers from a standard Jap Newage are a package and work extremely well together for that given power level.

It's horses for courses and dependant on application (and what is required) when spec'ing different combinations.

Stating Equal or Unequal length headers are the best in isolation is not conducive imho, unless you have specific power / driveability remit.

Regarding medeocre power levels (say up to 400bhp) on a JDM Newage, then you would be wasting money changing the standard twin scroll / equal length configuration (but of course you can look at hybrid twin scroll turbo's).
Old 23 December 2006, 08:51 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell, it's God !!

Sorry Webby, just kidding !
Old 23 December 2006, 08:52 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Regarding medeocre power levels (say up to 400bhp) on a JDM Newage, then you would be wasting money changing the standard twin scroll / equal length configuration (but of course you can look at hybrid twin scroll turbo's).
LOL !!
Old 24 December 2006, 12:10 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol

I know mate, but unfortunately 400bhp is nothing major now.
Old 24 December 2006, 08:54 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
lol

I know mate, but unfortunately 400bhp is nothing major now.
that makes my 273bhp 01 WRx sound like a kiddies car.

Ah well, quick enough for me, unless Santa comes in the form of Andy F, with a new turbo in hand !