Notices

not using the car for a few months

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2006, 11:49 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not using the car for a few months

Hi im not using my sti ra for a few months as it hasent been undersealed and they have salted the roads, what i want to know is what should i do while its standing on the drive? Should i start the engine now and again or move it so the tyres are not standing on the same position.
Old 21 December 2006, 08:19 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yes start it every once in a while and yes rotate the wheels, also depending on how long it is standing check the tyre pressures as well
Old 21 December 2006, 04:42 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Id strongly suggest you don't start it. Most engine wear occurs when everything is cold and much as it's nice to hear it running it won't do it any good in fact it will harm it.

Instead turn the engine over with crank position sensor removed. This way you get the benefits of the oil system primed and everything covered in oil without the harshness of engine running speeds and probably putting deposits on the turbo.

Make sure you keep the battery charged.

Also it's not a good idea to leave the hand brake on. As the shoes may well stick on. They will loosen up of course, but they will probably come off with a bang and it's not nice.

My Dad used to remove wheels, remove brake pads and WD40 the discs so they don't rust. Your discs will rust and the pads will get knackered cleaning the rust off. Ideally leave it on axel stands and take wheels off.

Get a cover too. Just to keep the worst of the weather out.

However - it's not forced to rain all the time - we may get some cold dry spells, in which case go and have fun - they last longer when they are used

Check antifreeze before the lay up - it'll still get cold.
Old 21 December 2006, 09:03 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hamyam
Hi im not using my sti ra for a few months as it hasent been undersealed and they have salted the roads, what i want to know is what should i do while its standing on the drive? Should i start the engine now and again or move it so the tyres are not standing on the same position.
Twice a year I leave my car standing for many months also my bros car. Probably its the battery u only need to worry about as it gets discharged.... just disconnect battery, and dont need to bother with all other stuff! No worries she wont die on you if ur battery is strong!!
Old 24 December 2006, 07:26 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help im most worried about the salt as it hassent been undersealed
Old 24 December 2006, 07:33 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

yes leave handbrake off as shoes will stick as said above..........
Old 24 December 2006, 08:18 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Why not get it undersealed, its not just the salt that attacks it, just the general damp wont do it any good.

I agree about the handbrake, stored my old porsche over winter and the rear brakes jammed. Also check the tyre side walls for any cracking before you take it for a blast next spring.
Old 24 December 2006, 11:04 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
yes leave handbrake off as shoes will stick as said above..........
DO NOT do that if u are leaving it on your drive!!!! The car can roll off the drive!!! If ended rolling down a road and kills someone then ur in big trouble!

Why so many of u so fussy?! (might aswell bubble rap your whole car up for winter!LOL )

BTW your tyres will be fine, trust me!