Notices

CLUTCH PEDALS STICKIN DOWN?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2006, 12:44 PM
cossie7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLUTCH PEDALS STICKIN DOWN?

hello!! right av had about 12 imprezas now and think ive had 1 that hasnt had this fault, my current sti didnt but yesterday it started it!! problem is when you dip clutch the pedal sticks down? and doesnt return fully it can still be driven where it is but i constantly find my self sticking my foot underneath it and popping it back up? my current sti only does it when i accelerate hard it sticks down on change but driven sensibly and i dont get this problem? thing is this car is for sale and even though i think its a common problem the pedal on my sti when it sticks it does it about an inch or so from the floor!!! any help would be great. cheers
Old 20 December 2006, 12:50 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

Has the spring come off the clutch slave cylinder thats located under the Intercooler. It happens sometimes and cuases these symptoms.
Old 20 December 2006, 12:56 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

This was happening on mine..... I had a fiddle with the spring on top of the clutch pedal basicaly gave it a bit wiggle and it seems to be ok now (it's been 1 month since) Touch tree of course!

A mechanic actually suggested removing the spring all together as it was only there to improve feel and was the culprit to the problem...

But I like to feel.... ohhh errrr.

Plums.
Old 20 December 2006, 01:05 PM
cossie7
Scooby Regular

cheers peeps al go have a look now!!
Old 20 December 2006, 01:34 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also sometimes the slack needs adjusting on the pedal.. should be about an inch of first pedal movement that does nothing. you can adjust this above the pedal on the pedal box.. from memory a 10mm pair of nuts and the rod has a 6mm spanner slot cut into it.. reduce the slack and the pedal should return.. obviously if there is no spring under the intercooler like mentioned already then that is likely to be the problem

Simon
Old 20 December 2006, 02:34 PM
black_scooby
Scooby Regular

I've got the same problem, i've just had a look and the spring is missing, does anyone know where i can get a new one.

Cheers Lee
Old 20 December 2006, 05:33 PM
poormansporsche
Scooby Regular

Did you bleed the slave cylinder yet? That always works for me. Well except that one time when the clutch master cylinder fail.

cheers

garrett
Old 20 December 2006, 05:43 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by black_scooby
I've got the same problem, i've just had a look and the spring is missing, does anyone know where i can get a new one.

Cheers Lee
subaru!!
Old 20 December 2006, 05:44 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie7
hello!! right av had about 12 imprezas now and think ive had 1 that hasnt had this fault, my current sti didnt but yesterday it started it!! problem is when you dip clutch the pedal sticks down? and doesnt return fully it can still be driven where it is but i constantly find my self sticking my foot underneath it and popping it back up? my current sti only does it when i accelerate hard it sticks down on change but driven sensibly and i dont get this problem? thing is this car is for sale and even though i think its a common problem the pedal on my sti when it sticks it does it about an inch or so from the floor!!! any help would be great. cheers
try the spring first,, then bleed the system.. failing that replace the master cylinder.. i had the same issue on mine and replacing the master cylinder solved it... got one from a breakers for £35 plus postage...
Old 20 December 2006, 06:06 PM
black_scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tasberley
subaru!!
I was thinking somewhere on-line my nearest subaru dealer is over an hours drive.
Old 20 December 2006, 06:47 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get them to post it. Pay them over the phone. That's what I do with my local Subaru dealership in Norwich, which is 40 minutes drive away.
Old 20 December 2006, 06:59 PM
black_scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
Get them to post it. Pay them over the phone. That's what I do with my local Subaru dealership in Norwich, which is 40 minutes drive away.
I've tried that before with no luck, i'll give it another go though.

Cheers
Old 21 December 2006, 05:56 AM
poormansporsche
Scooby Regular

I would try bleeding it first as it's the cheapest fix to try. I mean obviously look for visually appearant failures first, then bleed it. There really isn't too much to fail with this system. Very few parts. The slave cylinder is quite prone to failure at least here in the states. Good luck.

cheers

garrett