Notices

POWER LOSS HELP NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2006, 12:19 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POWER LOSS HELP NEEDED!

hi ive been experiencing some problems with my car il give ya a quick rundown and explain the problem as best as i can to get the best response possible as im not an expert when it comes to problem solving on turbo'd engines.

the car is a 1993 wrx import 65thousand miles regulary serviced and nevr adused ie thrashed from cold or cooled down, has a in car boost gauge(not leaking air), and a boost controller under the bonnet set to 1bar of boost(pipe work also not leaking air)fitted a fully decated exhaust system the same as the nurspec r one i think its called, sounds graet u can hear the turbo spooling up faster than b4, the car is holding its boost pressure and dumping when it should, went out and let the car warm up and then went to put my foot down and everything was all a little gerky the power was tere pinning me back in my seat the it was off the on all in one acceleration, also hit around 5 and half thousand revs in 5 and the revs just dropped to 0 took foot off the accelerator and then accelerated again and revs went back up,
its just really werid the power is tere sometimes and then it wont be but it sounds like it should if ya get me and also every now and then will be accelerting fairly hard and car will drop power like hitting a brick wall then be fine agin, i really dunno what to check this is probably a commen problem that has been covered alot but id jsut thought id ask any help would be really appreciated as im confussed
Old 24 October 2006, 01:18 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be the coil packs or plugs.. when were they last replaced and what gap on the plugs..

could be it is over boosting and hitting fuel cut..

I assume the boost controller is plumbed in without the standard boost control solenoid?

Was it fine before the exhaust went on and only just started after the exhaust fitment?

Simon
Old 24 October 2006, 02:22 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

could be the coil packs or plugs.. when were they last replaced and what gap on the plugs..

could be it is over boosting and hitting fuel cut..

I assume the boost controller is plumbed in without the standard boost control solenoid?

Was it fine before the exhaust went on and only just started after the exhaust fitment?

dont no when coilpack and plugs were replaced last so not sure on the gap, yes boost controller has been plumbed in seperatly not by me by previous owner i havent even touched the thing, well it was doing the same but seems to be really bad now, car drives lovely never skips a beat untill you give it sum and start boosting, boost pressure builds up but no extra kick acceceration wise is always tere, do you think maybe i should turn the boost down even though it is set at 1.5 i think and maybe reset the ecu for starters?????
Old 24 October 2006, 02:27 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

it's set at 1.5?? I thought it was set at 1bar?

Simon
Old 24 October 2006, 02:35 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

yeah sorry not 100% at the mo but i think its 1.5 would this be the problem im at work and cant find out, only usually glance at boost gage while driving neva really look at it all the time, i havent wanted to adjust the boost because i didnt want to mess anything up but obviously i should have done, also my fuel; consumption is rubbish, a friend who has had scoobys in the past had a drive in it and said that its slugish hasnt got the pull you would expect he had one with same modifications same year uk spec though and he said pulled like a train compaired to mine
Old 24 October 2006, 02:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

if you are running that high boost you will be hitting fuel cut.

Simon
Old 24 October 2006, 02:57 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

so evey time i floor it and boost goes up it will hit the fuel cut will it so then afterwards will seem like i have no power is this correct, what pressure do u suggest i run the car at with the modifications only being the exhaust system and k and n airfilter, shall i reset the ecu aswell
Old 24 October 2006, 04:44 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

what would be ideal boost pressure with the modifications i have 0.9
Old 24 October 2006, 05:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I'd be inclined to reconnect the standard boost solenoid and run the standard boost.. which is yes about 0.9bar.

Simon
Old 24 October 2006, 06:13 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

jolly green monster u have pm

really strage just splutters to F*UCx t hen revs will cut out and boost to then it will splutter more and really stuggle this is in 5th and 4th lower gears aint so bad
Old 24 October 2006, 07:15 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

just been out once more and car is fine in first and second 0-6 is how it should be, 3 is ok until u hit top rev range then splutters and cuts out until u lift off and then 4th and 5th are the same, bosst is deffo running at 0.9 as ive checked, what should i do next????????
Old 24 October 2006, 08:45 PM
scoobyimp
Scooby Regular

have you checked the maf as i had the same problem and it was that that caused it
Old 24 October 2006, 08:49 PM
MELLY1985
Scooby Regular

dont no how to check maf other than trying a working 1 on the car, reset ecu and all seems fine now afta a 3 mile drive but would this be a long term or short ter soloution?