Notices

AE802, Magnex D/P and Dawes

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2006, 02:41 PM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AE800, Magnex D/P and Dawes

I was considering fitting the D/P and dawes device to my MY00 (Y reg) with AE800. I want a reliable increase in power so was wondering a couple of things.

1. What is the fuel cut set at in this ECU, i.e. what should the dawes be set at? I was thinking of 1 - 1.1bar max boost.
2. Should I keep the AE800 or move to a AE802 for better fuelling?
3. I don't really wish to have a dash full of extra gauges. So once the dawes is set using a temporary gauge, will it go 'out of adjustment' over time?

Ta

Last edited by stevo1970; 09 October 2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Different ecu to what I thought.
Old 10 October 2006, 09:51 AM
stevo1970
Scooby Regular

Not one reply! Well here is some more information.

I've had a look at the ecu and to my suprise it is an ae800 not the ae802 as expected. My car is a 2001 Y reg classic. The ecu looked like is had never been changed, no damage to screw heads or anything. Is the fitting of these ecu types random?
Old 10 October 2006, 10:45 AM
Rodintee
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

Not sure re the best ECU but I am running a decat downpipe, decat centre, magnex backbox with a K&N panel and dawes for boost control.

I would strongly recommend first fitting some monitoring kit just in case any problems ever occur. A knocklink, dawes AFR and boost gauge can be picked up for very little secondhand on here. In my view its best to fit these first so you can learn the characteristics of the engine when standard so changes can be seen as thigs develop further.

I have fitted the KL in the plastic surround above the speedo / rev counter with just the LED's poking through so it is discreet yet visible. The AFR is in the ashtray so can be kept out of sight when not needed.

I initially set the dawes to around 1.1 bar held..... any higher and it would occasionally fuel cut on cold mornings. However, I have now fitted an HKS fuel cut defender and raised the boost to 1.25 bar held. At this I have no extra KL activity over standard (pre dawes) settings and the AFR shows solid blue on full throttle. Note I always run on V-Power nowadays.

It is my understanding that all UK cars tend towards the rich end of the scale so I suspect that you should have absolutely no problems with 1.1 bar or so.

if you do go down the FCD route in the future just be extra careful and don't get carried away..... very tempting but can easily detroy an engine.

Many criticise the dawes and FCD combination but so far I have had no problems (touchwood), the car performs vastly better than before for a very modest budget.

Hope of help

Cheers

Russ