Notices

TORQUE SH1T

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2001, 12:26 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHEERS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS. I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT NOT TAKING THEM AS GOSPEL, BUT OTHERS ON THE DAY WERE GETTING FAIRLY GOOD TORQUE FIGURES WITH SIMILAR MODS TO ME, AROUND THE 220-230 MARK. LIKE YOU SAY THOUGH, THEIR READINGS MAY BE DOWN ON WHAT THEY SHOULD BE TOO. WILL A SCOOBYSPORT OR SIMILAR DOWNPIPE MATEUP OK WITH MY MAGNEX CENTRE SECTION? I DON'T THINK MAGNEX DO A DECAT DOWNPIPE DO THEY?
I HEARD A CAR WITH A SCOOBYSPORT STRAIGHT THROUGH SYSTEM THE OTHER WEEK AND IT SOUNDED THE DOG'S! RASPIER THAN THE MAGNEX SYSTEM.
Old 01 March 2001, 12:59 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I have a Scoobysport Downpipe, joined to a Magnex centre section which is joined to a Scoobysport backbox, so yes it will fit.

The Mangex centre has a resonator, so it's quieter than the full Scoobysport system, but I think it still gives the same sort of performance. I just wanted it a bit quieter!!!

I think you will notice the improvement, even if it doesn't show up on the rolling road. The throttle response is improved, and the turbo spools up quicker!!

May also be worth looking at an air inductor. I got quite good results with the K&N on my old MY97 UK car!

I think this really only improves the bhp, and will take a lot more than that to get 30lbft or torque!!

For that sort of gain, I would consider an ECU upgrade.

There's sounds like you may have issues else where on the car! Maybe worth getting it checked out by a good mechanic (be it a Subaru dealer or third of the likes of SS, etc)

Hope this helps
Andy

Old 01 March 2001, 10:38 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Angry

HAVING JUST HAD MY 96 UK ROLLING ROADED, WITH A MAGNEX BACKBOX AND K&N PANEL FILTER I CLOCKED 236BHP WITH WHICH I WAS WELL CHUFFED, BUT I WAS SURPRISED TO FIND MY TORQUE WAS SUB 200 LBSFT. WHICH I BELIEVE IS LESS THAN STANDARD. I THOUGHT FREER BREATHING WOULD IMPROVE TORQUE. ANYONE ANY IDEAS? WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO UP TORQUE CHEAPLY? I'VE ALREADY GOT A MAGNEX CENTRE SECTION EN ROUTE.
Old 01 March 2001, 10:57 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Rich,

Were you happy with the car before the rolling road session??? Just a thought, just because they come up with a figure, it doesn't mean it's right!!

They SHOULDN't be taken as gospel!!!

Andy
Old 01 March 2001, 11:34 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ditto what Andy has said. If you want to improve the torque I would have thought fitting a decat downpipe would help. A free breathing engine should improve torque (and power) and replacing the centre section / backbox and air filter will help, but you've still got a bleeding great catalyst in the downpipe which will restrict the flow.

Chris
Old 01 March 2001, 04:10 PM
markd
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Andy Tang:
<B>I have a Scoobysport Downpipe, joined to a Magnex centre section which is joined to a Scoobysport backbox, so yes it will fit.

The Mangex centre has a resonator, so it's quieter than the full Scoobysport system, but I think it still gives the same sort of performance. I just wanted it a bit quieter!!!

I think you will notice the improvement, even if it doesn't show up on the rolling road. The throttle response is improved, and the turbo spools up quicker!!

May also be worth looking at an air inductor. I got quite good results with the K&N on my old MY97 UK car!

I think this really only improves the bhp, and will take a lot more than that to get 30lbft or torque!!

For that sort of gain, I would consider an ECU upgrade.

There's sounds like you may have issues else where on the car! Maybe worth getting it checked out by a good mechanic (be it a Subaru dealer or third of the likes of SS, etc)

Hope this helps
Andy
[/quote]

hi andy..how much differance is there from standard mid pipe to magnex mid pipe.like your self i also dont like it too loud.also what about mot will it pass or not..mark
Old 01 March 2001, 11:22 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Rich. Hello M8! Please take your caps lock off. It reads like you're shouting.

Comment one is, like others have said, rolling roads are notoriously unreliable for making meaningful comparisons, unless under very controlled and consistent circumstances which, in practise, are very difficult to achieve.

Comment two is that, although you don't give much information (ie rpm at least) your torque figure is too low to produce the bhp quoted, unless you're revving very high indeed. Look at the Dyno pages on the top menu.

I like these sort of questions, sad sod that I am. Have you got bhp and torque graphs we can see? A few more figures at least. As a general comment, I have yet to be convinced that inlet and exhaust mods are very effective without an ECU upgrade (ie boost). At the same time, an ECU upgrade will be strangled unless you free-up the breething a bit.

Richard Hopkins

Trending Topics

Old 01 March 2001, 11:39 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by markd:
<B>how much differance is there from standard mid pipe to magnex mid pipe.like your self i also dont like it too loud.also what about mot will it pass or not..mark[/quote]

Hi Mark,

There is a marginal increase in just changing the centre section! And very little difference in noise if you have the resonator!!

If you want a major increase change the downpipe!!

As for the MOT the main cat is in the downpipe. Just changing the backbox and centre will still allow you to pass the MOT.

With my last car, I kept the standard cat centre and changed the backbox & downpipe. I had it checked and it would have past an MOT if the centre cat was warmed up!

If you have a Japanese car, (most, is not all I think) don't have a centre cat, but have quite a restrictive centre section. Again gains are minimal.

Just for your information, the Prodrive exhausts replace both the backbox and centre section with straight through items. And they will still pass an MOT.

I have a full cat less system (ScoobySport downpipe & backbox, along with the Magnex centre) Come MOT time, I will replace the centre pipe with the standard cat pipe, and warm the car up before having it tested!

Hope this helps
Andy

Old 01 March 2001, 11:42 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Mark,

If you are not doing anything next Sunday, come down to the Quays, in Farnborough. You can hear my car, and many other options as well!!!

Have a look in the Southern Meets section.

If you come along, find me (I'm normally there quite early) and have a listen!!

Andy
Old 02 March 2001, 08:42 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Andy

Might do the same if you don't mind. I've got the Magnex decat centre and backbox and I've been thinking of doing the downpipe (but seeing as I drive the car everyday, I want to keep things relatively sane ).

Chris
Old 02 March 2001, 09:56 AM
markd
Scooby Regular

thanks andy for the info .might just see you there...mark
Old 02 March 2001, 10:54 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi Richard (Hoppy),
Sorry about the Caps Lock m8, I'm always doing it. My handwriting is so bad I normally write in capitals so people can read it!
There is a graph you can look at on the Well Lane page. Mine is the first entry. The first run I did hit 236bhp but on the other two runs, boost fell off early (shot to 12 then dropped after about 5500rpm), down to 9psi so I only avearged 223bhp overall.

The max torque was at high rpm as you'll see but my torque graph was like a plateau!

Any further observations will be greatly received.

Cheers
Rich
Old 02 March 2001, 09:25 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Rich, where's the Well Lane page?

Andy, just a comment but I think the Prodrive PPP swaps the back box, but the downpipe and centre section are retained.

Richard Hopkins
Old 05 March 2001, 08:59 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hoppy,

The Well Lane page is on the dyno page.
Go to the very top right hand of any sccobynet page and click on the orange and black dyno.scoobynet.co.uk. logo. Then when the page comes up, just below the title it says "click here for the Well lane page".
Mine is the first result.

let me know what you reckon.

cheers

Rich
Old 05 March 2001, 06:55 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Rich, thanks for that. New addition. I must pay more attention.

I looked at your graphs and, well, I think it just confirms our (my?) suspicions about rolling road dynos.

I don't have any answers, only a comment that other cars with your sort of bhp have more torque, and those with your torque have lower bhp. There is no obvious reason why your car should behave like that but for some reason your torque peak comes at very high rpm (for a Scoob).

Your car does 223bhp @ 6,350rpm with 198lb/ft @ 5,360rpm.

Damian Spencer's car does 230bhp @ 6,230rpm with 215lb/ft @ 3,750rpm.

The difference is that lower down the rev scale you have less power, eg 140bhp @ 4,000rpm compared Damian's 160bhp @ 4,000rpm, and also Tony Booth's 160bhp @ 4,000rpm.

Richard Hopkins
Old 05 March 2001, 07:03 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
<B>just a comment but I think the Prodrive PPP swaps the back box, but the downpipe and centre section are retained.[/quote]

Hoppy,

Not wishing to bang on about it, but I know that the PPP replaces the ECU, the intercooler piping, and the exhaust mid-section and backbox. Only the orginal downpipe (with the main cat) is retained.

On the PPP prior to the MY99, they also use to supply a panel airfilter as well (RamAir).

Don't want to sound stroppy, but I'd rather see accurate information here!

Cheers
Andy
Old 05 March 2001, 07:52 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi rich
there is few points that you should take into consideration here.

your car is a MY96 which is the phase I engine so they don't produce as much power as the phase II engines (97 onward)

you are running a lot less boost than the other cars !! i don't know how much boost a MY96 should hold but 11psi is a bit low. normaly you would get around 10 8-10bhp and 10-12lb/ft per psi increase. this is from MY experience with the phase II engine so phase I maybe different.

it may be a good idea to check what boost pressure should your MY96 be running. also it maybe a good idea to clean with Carb cleaner all the hoses, restrictors ( if present ) and soleniod to and from the turbo. usually 3 vac tubes. if any of these is leaking/blockes you could get a drop in boost.

finally some of these cars aren't really running that much moe torque than you, they just have around 1psi overboost ( the spike you see in the graph) so they reach 220lb/ft momenterily and then they settle at around 200lb/ft anyway.

i hope this helps

cheers

sam
ps if you want to raise you boost by a couple of psi all you need is a little bleed valve for about £20 and that will give you 13psi very easily and safely.
Old 05 March 2001, 11:08 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Andy, you're right.

Sorry, a PPP swaps the standard mid-section for a de-catted but silenced STi mid-section (amongst the other things mentioned above).

Grovel etc.

Richard Hopkins
Old 06 March 2001, 11:30 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your input. I'll try cleaning out my boost solenoid and pipes this weekend and see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know. You mentioned a bleed valve for about £20. Where can I get one from? Everyone seems to sell dump valves but not bleed valves. What's the difference?

cheers

Rich
Old 06 March 2001, 07:19 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi rich
a bleed valve is a very crude but effective way of doing things if you are careful. i have used one for few months before you get your link. lee is the first person to do it check out on his web site