Help, MY01 exhaust problem any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2001, 10:38 AM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hope you can help.

I've got a Scoobysport downpipe and centre section with a Scorpion back box on mine.

Since the D/P went on the engine light has been lighting up.

I have to go for a Select Monitor Reset at the Dealer. Apparantly the 0 2 sensor in centre section is finding fault with the emissions and causing the light to come on.

Totally strange as to the times it comes on:

100 miles after fitting D/P
then 200 miles after Select Reset
then 300
then 400
then 500
then 1100!
now back to 100 miles before it needs a reset.

What the hell is going on!

Is there a way round this, other than by putting the original D/P back on.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ady

Old 03 April 2001, 11:49 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Ady

This is a problem that we are working on.

It affects different cars with different regularity and is somewhat annoying.

On my own car, we forced the light to come on sometime ago, which can be done by filling up with 95 octane. We checked all of the engines operating parameters again (this had been done in initial testing) and found that neither performance nor safety were affected.

Since then, I have covered 1200 miles and the light has stayed off. However, it came on last night whilst cruising along a dual carriageway. Talking to other customers, it seems that this is the most common time for it to illuminate.

I suspect that the front cat is falling below its operating temperature on light/part throttle and this gives cause for the OBD system to register a fault with the emissions.

Research into the fix is in progress, but we will be 100% certain that the fix solves the problem without any detrimental effects on the performance of the car, before we send parts out.
Old 03 April 2001, 11:54 AM
adyhicut
Scooby Senior

Wink

Thanks Pete.

You are da man.

Keep up the good work at Scoobysport!

Looking forward to this problem being solved as and when.

Cheers m8

Ady

[This message has been edited by adyhicut (edited 03 April 2001).]
Old 03 April 2001, 01:46 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Ady,

Ive got a SS downpipe, centre section and P/Drive b/box. My light is a permanent fixture but my dealer is still trying to resolve it. Like Pete, it comes on at a steady cruise, in my case 80 mph on the same piece of the M6 which makes me kinda paranoid.

Forgot to mention, it is totally de-catted.

Old 03 April 2001, 08:24 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Have you guys removed both rear cats? Or just one? I have a Complete BPM system on the way. It removes on cat only. You've got me a little worried now.

Ken
Old 04 April 2001, 07:34 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

Camon guys. Share the knowledge.

Ken
Old 05 April 2001, 06:08 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

TTT
Old 05 April 2001, 08:44 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

So, what's the performance improvement like then with the replacement exhaust system?

I'm missing the shove-in-the-back of my old MY98!!
Old 05 April 2001, 09:42 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

DeliciousSpeed,

Yes, my system is totally de-catted, didnt want any assorted parts in the way of performance. Admittedly it is SUL only but that is not a hardship.

Tim,

The demonstrator I drove last year was better with just the Prodrive B/Box compared to standard. My car arrived 1/3/2001 with said backbox and ScoobySport downpipe, centre section not then available. It has since been totally de-catted and a ScoobySport centre added. In the opinion of others who have been in the car with me, it made a noticeable difference having the centre section alone added.

I honestly would like to drive a standard car now just to see what an improvement the exhaust is.
Old 07 April 2001, 06:21 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

I have fallen into a deep state of depression. I got my BPM Downpipe, Single cat/midpipe, and back box Thursday.

I checked it out, top quality. Excellent pieces. Heres where the depression comes in.
It wont fit my car! It has no hangers. It has the second o2 port in the wrong location.
I have spent some time crying and have now resorted to eating my way to happyness.

Prior to shipping the retailer had some reservations as she noticed the o2 layout. BPM asured her it would fit siting fitment by other retailers. So she shipped them out.
So anyway, I guess we know there are differences in the OZ, UK and US models. From this we can assume the ECM programing is also different.

Ok. Gotta go eat now,
Ken
Old 08 April 2001, 02:55 AM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

This is the response I got from the shop I ordered the exhaust from. What do you guys think? Posible or kopout?

Ken,

"BPM has already sent out the hangers, they must have know there was a problem with them.
Latest BPM system is designed to fit the old RS & New WRX.
O2 sensor bung at front of down pipe is for the older cars & plugged for the new WRX 2002.
O2 sensor bung at rear of down pipe is for the New WRX 2002 & plugged on the older RS.
If the plug is in the rear bung move it to the front bung.
Ed/Suby2nr"
Old 08 April 2001, 05:51 PM
DeliciouSpeed
Scooby Regular

I have now been told the a new back box will be drop shipped to me from BPM in OZ. It seems the whole thing will need to be replaced. They advised that the o2 that is placed in front of the rear last cat is re-located to the down pipe.

There is already one guy who has put the system on his car. He got a check engine light right away, but the car is driving fine according to him. Pete you mentioned a divice you have to fool the ECM. Would this work for me with my set-up? Would you be willing to ship to the US?

Ken