Notices

Please Help….car runs then stops?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2006, 10:16 PM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help….car runs then stops?

Hi all,

After a Big End knock on my 1996 UK Spec Impreza Turbo (EJ20 engine) I managed to source a 1996 WRX Import Engine (still an EJ20)

The engine has dropped in great no worries, but then I was challenged with the Electrics…

The plug that sits on the back of the engine and is bolted to the top of the flywheel…..the wiring harness on the import engine has 2 x 3pin plugs (going to the knock and crank sensor) where as mine had a ‘block’ plug with 8 pins??

I thought no worries, I will simply swap over to my harness…..which I did including changing over the sensors as mine had plugs not wires…..the next thing I hit with was that I had an additional sensor or something on my engine. If you look at the top of engine, on the top of the inlet manifold there are three hoses in a row….1st goes off towards the intercooler, 2nd goes down to somekind of diaphragm under mr turbo, the 3rd is the problems one.

On my car, this tube goes to a ‘sensor’ (red in colour, about 30mm x 25mm) or something then off to the canister next to the rad……on the import there is no ‘sensor’ in the system…..since I swapped my wiring harness I have ‘re-piped’ the system to replicate what it was originally like on my car.

Okay…..I still have fitted my UK ECU – the car started straight up, ran for about 8 seconds, the idle increased to approx 1450rpm, then she cut out. It does this evertime….starts no worries, runs the dies….

Can anyone help…………

Many Thanks

H
Old 08 October 2006, 01:22 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

#i may be wrong but I am sure the engines are the same, even with the same wiring etc. Are you sure the new engine came from the same year car?
Old 08 October 2006, 09:06 AM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Default Yes Mate

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
#i may be wrong but I am sure the engines are the same, even with the same wiring etc. Are you sure the new engine came from the same year car?
Yes Mate, I saw the log book for the old car.....1996 same as mine...I'm going to start/stop it a few more time, then flash out the error codes...
Old 08 October 2006, 09:25 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The MAF connection is good? wires not damaged?

check the two connectors by the battery are fully pushed home.

just checking what you said - you removed all the sensors from your car and fitted them to the new engine?

Simon
Old 08 October 2006, 09:46 PM
Murray
Scooby Regular

Default Sorted

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
The MAF connection is good? wires not damaged?

check the two connectors by the battery are fully pushed home.

just checking what you said - you removed all the sensors from your car and fitted them to the new engine?

Simon
ALL Sorted I hope..........the ECU was telling me 'idle control' I noticed one of the wires in the plug was a bit suspect.....sorted that and the car now runs...I have still not yet managed to take her out for spin as I'm still replacing the rear diff ect...turning out to be a real hard job as almost ALL the nuts/bolts are corroded...........

Simon: I swaped the crank and knock sensor...also I 'added' what I think it called the Purge control solenoid valve....the WRX import end just had a tiny oneway filter fitted..........

I'm going to post another tread, but if eny one reads this.....I currently have a std UK ECU fitted.....the engine also came with a WRX ecu....what is the difference?

Thanks H