Notices

Help - Dropped All Its Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2006, 01:55 PM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Dropped All Its Oil

A few weeks ago I did a complete engine rebuild on my my96 jdm wrx, all went well, put back together, back in car, ran perfectly. Then an oil leak appeared from between block and gear box. Took engine out again, replaced oil cover with a metal one, couldn't get old crank seal out so inserted the new one on top of it, maybe not a good idea now, but didn't have alot of choice at the time, didn't think it would cause any problems.

Put back together again and drove 20 miles, everthing fine, but revs dropped really low at junction then dumped all its oil all out on the road !!! Oil coming between gearbox and block again, looks like its blown both seal, but haven't taken apart to see yet, so can't confirm for definate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the problem is. I'm fairly competent with cars and put everything back correctly, it did run perfectly and idle was fine, no smoke and pulled well. I don't have an oil gauge fitted yet, but can high oil pressure cause this, its got a RCM oil pump in it now too, but bascially standard. Breathers from cam cover are fine, but don't see how pressure could be trapped.

Any help is very much appriecated.
Old 02 October 2006, 02:32 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you need to remove both seals and inspect the crank and block for damage on the sealing services and install a single seal properly.

Drill a hole in the seal and use a screw or two to remove it

Simon
Old 03 October 2006, 08:33 AM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon,

The surfaces were totally fine and within tolerances. My thinking was that if the crank had a groove worn in it, the first seal may have been leaking, so putting the new one further up the shaft on a fresh surface would help, so didn't see any reason for destroying the first seal to get it out, sort of used it as a spacer. Was a good seal and fitted perfectly, don't understand how it managed to blow past two seals.

Could the oil pump be producing to much pressure? What else can cause high oil pressure? Best thing might be to get hold of a pressure gauge and see what its reading.
Old 03 October 2006, 08:47 AM
Powerstation
Scooby Regular

Location: Rolling Road tuning, RE-mapping, Laser alignment, Track and race prep, Toyo tyres, Alarm installs

The RCM oil pump isn't modified to increase pressure.
They only modify the relief valve to try and stop the sticking open problem they seem to have.

Andy
Old 03 October 2006, 09:34 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

From memory I thought the rear seal was sat fairly close to the end of the crank.. so the seal pushed into the crank is probably comprimised anyway...
I would imagine when you open it up again you will find the inner seal has pushed the new one out..

Simon
Old 03 October 2006, 09:35 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

pic of one of mine

http://jollygreenmonster.fotopic.net/p520535.html

Simon
Old 03 October 2006, 01:06 PM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

The picture is where the second seal is sitting, or at least it was the last time I saw it.

If it is the seal that has gone again, not quite sure why the pressure is getting high enough to push them out. Because of the way the oil suddenly poured out, something must have gone, so pressure must have built up so much behind the two seals.

Just before it happened the revs were really low at a junction, high pressure = hard for crank to spin ??
Old 03 October 2006, 01:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I expect the first seal has picked up on the crank and rotated pushing the first seal out?? did you push the first seal in to get it like it now is or was it like it already?
Old 03 October 2006, 04:44 PM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

The first seal was pretty are inside, but wasn't sitting straight, it definately was when I first put it in. Pushed it back a little to get it perfectly straight and pushed new one in to sit as your picture shows. Triple-bonded both in just to make sure.
Old 03 October 2006, 08:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

think you need to pull the engine and inspect.. it might not be the crank seal?

you checked the turbo oil return pipe?

Simon
Old 04 October 2006, 12:37 PM
WRX_monkey
Scooby Regular

First thing I checked. I fitted the turbo to the engine before it went back in to make life a little easier, oil definately coming from back of block. Also seemed to be oil in coolant, but its definately not one of the heads that leaking oil. Not sure if pressure could push oil into coolant galleries past the head gasket.

Going to pressure test it first, and see what it reads, still don't see what could cause the pressure to be so high in the first place?