Notices

Cleaning up a (long term) dismantled engine

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2006, 11:46 AM
healeyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cleaning up a (long term) dismantled engine

The last time I did any serious work on an engine was de-coking the valves on an Austin 1100.

I've now decided to take on the challenge of re-assembling the engine on my STi V5 which has been sitting in boxes in the boot and back seat of the car for about three years.

The initial problem is cleaning off all the dust and general crap off all the engine parts and all I can think of is using a vacuum and petrol with a paint brush, is this a reasonable approach?

Thanks!
Old 27 September 2006, 03:14 PM
Rodintee
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

I would highly recommend calling round a few engine reconditioners and finding someone locally who will put the parts through their hot wash... for a small fee of course.

The resulting level of cleaning is hard to beat and I expect you'll find someone who will sort it out for maybe a tenner or so.
Old 28 September 2006, 05:35 PM
weemac2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by healeyb
The last time I did any serious work on an engine was de-coking the valves on an Austin 1100.

I've now decided to take on the challenge of re-assembling the engine on my STi V5 which has been sitting in boxes in the boot and back seat of the car for about three years.

The initial problem is cleaning off all the dust and general crap off all the engine parts and all I can think of is using a vacuum and petrol with a paint brush, is this a reasonable approach?

Thanks!
FFS DONT USE PETROL!...seriously!........
even without using any sort of electrical equipement you are incurring a seriuos fire risk, not to mention environmental hazard. Using a vaccum cleaner nearby is virtually guaranteed to start a conflagration.
Get a 5 litre jug of soluble degreaser from halfords or machine mart, brush it on with a stiff brush and work it into and around all the crevices. aim to get all the crud moving, leave it for while to saok then have another go with the brush then rinse it all off. let it all dry then go over any bits you missed the first time.
Old 28 September 2006, 09:04 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Wherabouts are you?

You are quite welcome to use my wash tank, compressor, airline etc. Will come out clean as a whistle and far easier than pi$$ing around with buckets and basins and brushes.

Im in the Leicester area of the midlands.
Old 28 September 2006, 09:15 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
Wherabouts are you?

You are quite welcome to use my wash tank, compressor, airline etc. Will come out clean as a whistle and far easier than pi$$ing around with buckets and basins and brushes.

Im in the Leicester area of the midlands.
take up this offer if you are any where near p1mark this type of kit makes life a lot easier ps and thank him profously