ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Cleaning up a (long term) dismantled engine (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/546869-cleaning-up-a-long-term-dismantled-engine.html)

healeyb 27 September 2006 11:46 AM

Cleaning up a (long term) dismantled engine

The last time I did any serious work on an engine was de-coking the valves on an Austin 1100.

I've now decided to take on the challenge of re-assembling the engine on my STi V5 which has been sitting in boxes in the boot and back seat of the car for about three years.

The initial problem is cleaning off all the dust and general crap off all the engine parts and all I can think of is using a vacuum and petrol with a paint brush, is this a reasonable approach?

Thanks!

Rodintee 27 September 2006 03:14 PM

Hi mate

I would highly recommend calling round a few engine reconditioners and finding someone locally who will put the parts through their hot wash... for a small fee of course.

The resulting level of cleaning is hard to beat and I expect you'll find someone who will sort it out for maybe a tenner or so.

weemac2000 28 September 2006 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by healeyb
The last time I did any serious work on an engine was de-coking the valves on an Austin 1100.

I've now decided to take on the challenge of re-assembling the engine on my STi V5 which has been sitting in boxes in the boot and back seat of the car for about three years.

The initial problem is cleaning off all the dust and general crap off all the engine parts and all I can think of is using a vacuum and petrol with a paint brush, is this a reasonable approach?

Thanks!

FFS DONT USE PETROL!...seriously!........
even without using any sort of electrical equipement you are incurring a seriuos fire risk, not to mention environmental hazard. Using a vaccum cleaner nearby is virtually guaranteed to start a conflagration.
Get a 5 litre jug of soluble degreaser from halfords or machine mart, brush it on with a stiff brush and work it into and around all the crevices. aim to get all the crud moving, leave it for while to saok then have another go with the brush then rinse it all off. let it all dry then go over any bits you missed the first time.

p1mark 28 September 2006 09:04 PM

Wherabouts are you?

You are quite welcome to use my wash tank, compressor, airline etc. Will come out clean as a whistle and far easier than pi$$ing around with buckets and basins and brushes.

Im in the Leicester area of the midlands.

shooter007 28 September 2006 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by p1mark
Wherabouts are you?

You are quite welcome to use my wash tank, compressor, airline etc. Will come out clean as a whistle and far easier than pi$$ing around with buckets and basins and brushes.

Im in the Leicester area of the midlands.

take up this offer if you are any where near p1mark this type of kit makes life a lot easier :) :) :)ps and thank him profously