Notices

boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2006, 08:30 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after abit of advise,i have a 94 plate wrx which has been modded,my question is i have a blitz id boost controller on it which has its own boost solenoid so it does not use the standard one on the suspension turrut on the car, the standard one has 2 pipe connections on the bottom and 1 smaller one on the top,the one on the top and one of the exits on the bottom were blocked up when i fitted the blitz solenoid which left one of the bottom exits connected into the induction track,i have disconected this, which just leaves the eletric connection which is 2 wires in a black block plug,can this just be completley took off the car as its not in use any more or do i still need to connect the 2 wires together on the block plug so that it bypasses the senser but still has a connection between the wires,has anyone else done this????????
Old 13 September 2006, 11:15 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are running the standard ecu then you need it plugged in electrically else the engine check light will come on..

If you are running an after market ecu like Apexi, Link, GEMs then it can be removed.

Simon
Old 13 September 2006, 05:57 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
If you are running the standard ecu then you need it plugged in electrically else the engine check light will come on..

If you are running an after market ecu like Apexi, Link, GEMs then it can be removed.

Simon
cheers,yes it runs a standard ecu with a mines chip,i will leave it connected then.
Old 13 September 2006, 07:01 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

the kiss of death.... mines chip in the UK.

Andy
Old 13 September 2006, 09:10 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
the kiss of death.... mines chip in the UK.

Andy
have heard alot of people say this but i have had this chip on the car since i got hold of it and have had the car for about 4 years now with no issues,the car is highley modded too,guess it all comes down to the right mods at the end of the day and the right set up,
Old 13 September 2006, 10:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

more like luck I am afraid..

If the car is modded lots you'd be better running a mappable ecu..

Simon
Old 13 September 2006, 10:51 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I have 450 bhp on Standard internals, it may not have gone bang yet but it sure as hell aint the safe and reliable way to do things...

Andy
Old 13 September 2006, 11:47 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

runs at 1.30 boost with nothing on the knock meter (might go up to 5 or 6 on a really hot day after a hard drive and that was before the fmic)and shows just over rich on the afr when floored,runs a sti8 bottom end,thicker steel head gaskets,wrx heads and cams,full decat,equal headers, 440cc injectors,sx fuel reg,uprated fuel pump,parallel fuel mod,td05 16g turbo,vta breathers,apexi air filter,lighter alloy pulleys,lighter flywheel,uprated clutch,fmic,blitz id boost controller,apexi air flow converter/moniter,mines chip,disconneted water feed to throttle body,have been thinking about getting a apexi power fc and comander,seen them on the net for £395,
Old 14 September 2006, 08:07 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

440cc injectors and increased pressure on the Pre96 WRX ECU ???

These are probably your saving grace.
The mines chip is probably only mapped for the 380's, so it will be over fuelling and hence preventing det.

1.3bar ??? Glad to see that the Mines chip still has the 'SAFETY' fuel cut set within the 1.2bar limit of the map sensor then...'NOT'.
Old 14 September 2006, 09:33 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

lol @ Scott..

not like you need an oil film on the bores or anything
Old 14 September 2006, 05:35 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T
440cc injectors and increased pressure on the Pre96 WRX ECU ???

These are probably your saving grace.
The mines chip is probably only mapped for the 380's, so it will be over fuelling and hence preventing det.

1.3bar ??? Glad to see that the Mines chip still has the 'SAFETY' fuel cut set within the 1.2bar limit of the map sensor then...'NOT'.
ok,so what happens to the running/ecu signals when the boost goes above the 1.2bar limit of the map sensor,
Old 14 September 2006, 06:11 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Depends how it is set up.. I expect the fuel cut has been set beyond the 1.2bar ceiling of the map sensor.. so the ecu only sees 1.2bar max and never fuel / boost cuts.. of the fuel cut has just been removed..

either with a fuel cut defender or within the mines chip etc..

Or a newer map sensor has been fitted.. 0.9bar on the newer sensor is around 1.3bar which could be the current situation..

You need to probe some more..

Did you buy the car like this or have you fitted all the stuff yourself?

Simon
Old 14 September 2006, 06:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Although re-reading your earlier post you run a Blitz boost controller.. so the fuel cut is just not happening.. so either a fuel cut defender is fitted or the fuel cut in the mines ecu is disabled.. or worse the map sensor has been disconnected?

Simon
Old 16 September 2006, 11:59 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Although re-reading your earlier post you run a Blitz boost controller.. so the fuel cut is just not happening.. so either a fuel cut defender is fitted or the fuel cut in the mines ecu is disabled.. or worse the map sensor has been disconnected?

Simon
hi,yes it does have a hks fuel cut fitted,and yes have done the work myself as i'm a mechanic by trade,just wanted to know what the ecu reads when the map sensor/boost reads above the 1.2bar limit of the map sensor??car has been running at 1.3 bar for some time now with no probs.
Old 17 September 2006, 08:41 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millwrx
hi,yes it does have a hks fuel cut fitted,and yes have done the work myself as i'm a mechanic by trade,just wanted to know what the ecu reads when the map sensor/boost reads above the 1.2bar limit of the map sensor??car has been running at 1.3 bar for some time now with no probs.
anyone???????????????????
Old 17 September 2006, 09:18 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Map sensor only reads boost on the Pre96 cars and is only used in order to control the boost control solenoid and fuel-cut.

I do know that on the MY99/00 the map signal is used in part of the load calculation aswell.
If you set the fuel-cut defender point too low on an MY99/00 the load calculation is lower, so you end up runing more advacne and hence detonation. I know as I've seen the results on my own car before mapping the ECU.
Old 17 September 2006, 10:33 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Map sensor only reads boost on the Pre96 cars and is only used in order to control the boost control solenoid and fuel-cut.

I do know that on the MY99/00 the map signal is used in part of the load calculation aswell.
If you set the fuel-cut defender point too low on an MY99/00 the load calculation is lower, so you end up runing more advacne and hence detonation. I know as I've seen the results on my own car before mapping the ECU.
thanks for that,so as mine does'nt use the standard boost solenoid and has a hks fuel cut fitted, then really as long as the afr reading is correct and not running lean and theres no det/knock on my knock meter then it should be ok,like i said the car has been running with this set up for some time now with no faults and performance is REALLY good,
Old 18 September 2006, 08:20 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

what AFR are you seeing ?
Old 18 September 2006, 05:27 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

what AFR are you seeing ?
#
just above stoich/just into rich in the green.
Old 18 September 2006, 06:03 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I think Scott means throughout the RPM range
Old 18 September 2006, 06:45 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

flicks back and to till you load the throttle and then sits at what i said and stays there untill i back of
Old 18 September 2006, 07:15 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Means very little if your using a narrow band lambda.
What AFR gauge are you using ?
Could be quite a range of values. All that static value tells you is that you running open loop and is dependant on the LED/Bar Graph resolution.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:22 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

not sure of the make of the afr gauge,suppose a wide band sensor shows you a more accurate/indepth reading as appose to what i've got,guessing my afr gives me a rough idea on whats happening!haha,
Old 18 September 2006, 09:56 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

guessing my afr gives me a rough idea on whats happening!
Have you had the car checked with a wideband? Guessing the AFR could be seriously detrimental (excuse the pun) to the engine.

Cheers
Old 18 September 2006, 09:58 PM
lguillermocp
Scooby Regular

i am using also only an APEXI AFC with the orig ecu and a vf35 replacing td04(a walbro 255 hp too). With a narrow band o2 sensor we fix the AFR at full boost in 11. boosting 18 PSIs with the TURBO XS Fuel cut defender. i am not sure but at full boost the apexi is setted 5% more airflowmeter signal. Some people says this situation keep the advance back controling pre detonations. But with less power in the other hand.

i have a question, does the temparature of the water change the advance level? i feel the car faster when it is cool.

LG
Old 18 September 2006, 10:05 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Delboy2
Have you had the car checked with a wideband? Guessing the AFR could be seriously detrimental (excuse the pun) to the engine.

Cheers
no havent had it checked with a wideband,just going by the afr gauge reading,knock meter reading,and the black soot up the tail pipe!haha
Old 18 September 2006, 10:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Don't rely on the black soot.. unless you clean it.. then gun it and turn the engine off then check it. . it is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.. just means at some point when you are running the engine it is rich enough to soot the exhaust.. could be cruise, could be 3000~4000rpm.. could be 6000~7000rpm however the rest of the time it could be way too lean..
The fact you have no det means the timing is okay and it is not mega lean. . but it could still be lean enough to melt valves or pistons. Not trying to scare monger as it could well be perfectly safe too.. but the soot on the exhaust tells you jack.

Simon
Old 18 September 2006, 11:11 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

Don't rely on the black soot.. unless you clean it.. then gun it and turn the engine off then check it. . it is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.. just means at some point when you are running the engine it is rich enough to soot the exhaust.. could be cruise, could be 3000~4000rpm.. could be 6000~7000rpm however the rest of the time it could be way too lean..
The fact you have no det means the timing is okay and it is not mega lean. . but it could still be lean enough to melt valves or pistons. Not trying to scare monger as it could well be perfectly safe too.. but the soot on the exhaust tells you jack.

Simon
i no when i had it on the rollers many moons ago at powerstation before alot of the mods and it was running at 1.0bar boost it put out 269.5bhp and 250lbf and i was told that it was one of the best power curves they had seen,must get it back on there soon i think just to see what its putting out
Old 18 September 2006, 11:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Also I presume they have wideband AFR so can check the fuelling?

Simon
Old 18 September 2006, 11:44 PM
millwrx
Scooby Regular

not sure but i guess so,have seen a kit in the demon tweeks book but i think its over £348

Quick Reply: boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!