Notices

Odd Sound at 6000rpm +

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2006, 12:49 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Sound at 6000rpm +

Hi all, long time lurker here with my firs tpost - so hello one and all.

I have a MY98 UK classic turbo 2000 , had it around 5 months or so - all is going fine, except...

The other day I was giving it a bit of stick, and I noticed that when I took it past 5500rpm and on to the redline, and took my foot of the accelerator to change gear, I was getting a "rattle" sound - Almost like a shot bearing noise - Doesn't do it at lower revs - I was thinking maybe the cambelt tensioner. Perfomance doesn't seem to be affected, just one of theose "hmm it shouldn't be making that noise" things.

Camblet was done around 25K ago, but have confirmed the the tensioner was not replaced at the same time ( I suppose you wouldn't unless you had to , given they are £150 or so)

I am popping it down to Rivetts in a month or two for a service, so I will ask Mike about it then, but in the mean time, any ideas?
Old 12 September 2006, 12:57 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Heatshield not so loose yet, but when getting up in those revs will make it rattle
Old 18 September 2006, 06:25 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Right further development on this - The noise seems to be intermittant. Some days it is worse than others - This morning it was fine, but tonight it was terrible - If i gently gave it the throttle, it didn't do it - but if I put the clutch in and blipped the throttle it was coming in almost straight away. When I got home, I left the engine running and poped the lid - pulled the throttle cable to rev the enigne, and no unseemly noise at all - So it is only doing it when the car it is in motion, and when I boot it.

Still heatshield??
Old 18 September 2006, 06:34 PM
scoobertron
Scooby Regular

heat shields normally rattle at about three k try lifting the bonnet and hold the revs at 1k then 2k and so on see if that finds it it wont be as noticeable just reving it
Old 18 September 2006, 08:19 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

I would check the under part of the heatshield on turbo and the headers, they change characteristics as they get hot and cooled down, what i meant with above is there is different stages of loosness, yours sound like they occur at high revs, this might drop to 3k as they get more loose, try with bonnet open and rev it to the 5500 rpm you mention and see if they rattle or vibrate for a sec as what they are really doing

Ive had the same problem on my MY99, quite a challenge to identify exactly where
Old 18 September 2006, 08:43 PM
RSWilson
Scooby Regular

Just a thought but it could be the exhaust or an exhaust sheild rattle when the engine is torqued up under load. Try is in the lower gears / same revs.

Cheers
Richard

PS - I've just got a my99 and I can't believe all the other scoob'sters wave at me - have you noticed that? I though it was just Citroen 2CV owners that did that!
Old 18 September 2006, 08:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Ok, will try tomorrow - thanks for the help
Old 19 September 2006, 01:49 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Popped out at lunch time to try and get the noise - but couldn't - My theory is that the car moving adds to the vibration and therefore is difficult to recreate with the car stationary.

Plus I found this whilst searching about:
Q. I have a 1996 turbo WRX, and after 6500km the car develops a 'resonance' that comes from the front, possibly from the engine or from the turbo, everytime I ease off the gas pedal; i.e. when the engine is eased off, there is a brief, faint (only noticeable to the driver) split-second 'resonance' from somewhere in the engine compartment. Is this normal? Does anyone have an explanation for the phenomenon?

A. The resonance is almost certainly a cracked heat shield on the exhaust manifold. Its a warranty fix, but if it's the one where the left and right side pipes join, (the most common one to fail as this is a very hot area) then the dealer should pack the lower shield out by 3mm and it will then last forever. Heat shields were a very common fault on '96 cars, as they did not have the tray under the engine bay and cold road water hitting the very hot shields caused them to fracture. One owner got through 3 in 15,000 before trying the 3mm spacer trick.
Which seems to describe exactly what I am getting - Although it seems the problem was less pronounced on cars after 97 (mine is a 98).

Next question is - If it is a cracked exhaust manifold heatshield (it looks rather rusty too) what is the cost of a replacement, and what is a worst case scenario if it decides to disintegrate? If indeed they do.

Also what should be the urgency factor of getting it sorted out? Right now? At my next service (in a month or two) or nothing to worry about?