Notices

Brembo's on a 2001 Bugeye WRX - Advice pls ;)

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2006, 07:55 AM
kn0bby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo's on a 2001 Bugeye WRX - Advice pls ;)

Hi Guys

I know these questions have been asked before, but there are still a few bits i am unsure of. Basically i have a 2001 Bugeye Impreza WRX, it is running the standard brake setup with 17" P1 Prodrive OZ alloys, I am now running 325BHP and found out both my front calipers have ceased piston problems and I require some more stopping power.

So looking at a set of Brembos, they are from a STI 03 car, the kit includes front and rear calipers, pads and discs.

My Questions...

Will this setup fit under my 17" OZ rims? (If no to this one ignore the follow LOL)

I understand i might require the original STI capiler bolts as they use a different threat pattern, will this be the case with this setup?

The rears, will they fit straight on or will i require a carrier?

The discs i believe should just bolt straight on, as i believe it was after 2005 the stud pattern changed? Is this the case?

Is this all too much hassle for the money and should I be looking at a different setup?

Thanks in advance guys, your advice and knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Knobby..

Ps if anyone has MSN messenger and has the time to speak to me add me - dave@getripped.co.uk
Old 12 September 2006, 08:24 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

no knowledge of your wheels, however the '03 fronts will bolt straight on to the std hub (05> STi changed the discs PCD).............the rears have a different size h/brake assembly they can be made to fit, but require various amounts of machining/ components to make them fit............

alyn

p.s. you will need the correct caliper bolts for the BREMBO's..............
Old 12 September 2006, 08:27 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will not clear 17" Prodrive P1 alloys. Infact they don't clear the 18" P1 alloys either (I've tried).
Prodrive used a ET46 offset for the P1 style to clear the Brembo's. You will probably find that yours are ET53, as were the 18's if they were not specifically sourced for an STi.

You will need the Brembo mounting bolts due to a different thread being used. I think they are M12 x 1.5 pitch.
Standard M12 is a 1.75 pitch and I think the 4-pot calipers use a 1.25 pitch.

The rears will fit on the Bracket, if you currently have 2-pot rear calipers. The disk will fit but the handbrake will not work.

The STi rear disk uses a 190mm drum for the handbrake, where the WRX uses a 170mm drum. The easiest way round this would be to press a steel or ally sleeve into the STi drum to reduce the size down to 170mm. This is pretty safe and has been done before. It's only used as a parking brake after all......

Last edited by Scott.T; 12 September 2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12 September 2006, 09:10 AM
kn0bby
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys...

thanks for all the advice and info. You have answered my questions. The fact that the Brembos will not fit under my wheels puts a hold on things as i love my rims and ive just fitted Goodyear F1's all round so would be a total waste paying out for new rims and tyres again.

So i shall look at my other option, Godspeed big brake kit with a 335mm groved and drilled disc, THey use the standard caliper on a carrier, just need to make sure it will run under my wheels.

ANy ideas

Cheers

Knobby.
Old 12 September 2006, 12:22 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Godspeed kit 'just' fits under P1 17inch Rims, with standard 4-pots on brackets or their Red Brembo conversion.

Although I believe you end up with a bigger pad surface area if you retain the Subaru 4-pots.

So you should be OK with that option.
Old 12 September 2006, 07:44 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

is the braking performance as good with the godspeed 335mm conversion as the sti brembos? as im in a simialr position on my 03 WRX and want to get the best braking for the best money

any experiences you have are welcome
Old 12 September 2006, 08:04 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Probably not alot it it...but there are a few factors :

Subaru 4-pots are heavier then STi Brembo's
Godspeed Red Brembo's use a smaller pad then the Subaru 4-pots (on the conversion)
Subaru Gold Brembo's are by far the biggest caliper, but not sure how the pad size compares (Unless anyone can post what Pad style Godspeed use in both the Brembo and 4-pots)
But Subaru Brembos' use a 326mm Disk and the Godspeed 335mm.

Alot of swings and roundabouts really.......

A good or bad choice of pad material will probably make the biggest difference.

Price wise, you could probably pick up STi Brembo's Calipers, New 326mm Disks and DS2500's cheaper then the Godpseed Conversion using the Subaru 4-pots.

The Brembo's I picked up were straght off a new car and looked factory fresh. I couldn't even find any brake dust on them.
Old 12 September 2006, 08:09 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

thanks alot, il look into 2nd hand STi brembos when i go to change my wheels, and make sure i get STi fitting offset ones!
Old 12 September 2006, 08:20 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

the 'small family' caliper used in some aftermarket kits is far superior to the std fit STi calipers, due to the oversized casting for fashion purposes mainly................acts as a giant heat sink!!
Old 12 September 2006, 08:36 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
the 'small family' caliper used in some aftermarket kits is far superior to the std fit STi calipers, due to the oversized casting for fashion purposes mainly................acts as a giant heat sink!!
Sorry Alyn, I wasn't trying to say the STi Caliper is better because it's bigger. Just that is 'may' use a larger pad compared to the GodSpeed setup's.

I know the STi Caliper pad is quite a bit bigger then the Comp-B4/Bembsport pads.

STi Gold Brembo
Ferodo Pad Style/Size : FRP3067

CompBrake Comp-B4 Caliper (also Willwood Dynalite)
Ferodo Pad Style : FRP501

Prodrive Alcon
Ferodo Pad Style : FRP1077

Subaru MY99> 4-pots
Ferodo Pad Style : FCP986
Old 12 September 2006, 08:37 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alyn what the difference in red AP and black AP ??? cheers , Alan with the black AP s .
Old 12 September 2006, 09:24 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

if its the same caliper number then nothing..................a lot of AP kits are available in both colours, but generally speaking the 'competition' calipers are only available in plain alloy or black...............

alyn