is my wrx ok

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2006, 11:21 AM
bundyman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my wrx ok

hi there,
just got my93 wrx 1 week ago,and think i was a bit to keen bought the first one i seen,they were loads of history,all mainly from well lane turbo,but when reading through the history the last one done from well lane on the 4/7/06 it had full service,cam-belt,rir tune,but then says..

notes.
exhaust heat shield loose
osr coil pack cracked + taped up poss missfire
recomend lambda running weak on fast idle
10psi boost 9.6% fuel on full throttle ok 239 bhp
turbo activator weak

the only problem is when you first start up when its cold,it idles fine,but when you try to drive away it feels like theres no fuel getting through,so i need to sit there,while it putts and fights to idle,till everythings ok to go hope this make sense,is it because of the above list that its like this

any info would be great
Old 10 September 2006, 11:38 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just had similar on my bugeye the NSR coil pack was knackered fitted a new one all fine now. Price was £110 form Subaru. A bit of a sod to fit from above, a 12mm 1/4 inch drive socket and ratchet and if possible a set of ramps to get access from below. A lot easier than taking out the battery and washer bottle. I tested by individually disconnecting the coil packs then starting the car, only one coil pack did not affect the starting this being the knackered one. Good luck Steve and mind those knuckles.
Old 10 September 2006, 11:40 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just looked at your thread again yours is the OSR all you may have to do is move a few bits of the induction side
Old 10 September 2006, 06:12 PM
bundyman
Scooby Newbie

hi just replaced the duff coil pack and put new plugs but still got that hesitation at start up when i pull away,some times last for about a minute,the car has decat hks fillter,when i took the old plugs out they where quit sooty as if running rich,would the lambda cause any problems like this,also the boy i got the car from says hes been using castrol valvemaster plus, as a octane booster is this stuff ok or what,something tells me its not
Old 10 September 2006, 06:45 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

lambda sensor sounds knackered to me.

Andy
Old 10 September 2006, 11:18 PM
bundyman
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the info,get a new sensor this week, is anything on this list gonna be fatal for the car

notes.
exhaust heat shield loose...................................fixed
osr coil pack cracked + taped up poss missfire.......fixed
recomend lambda running weak on fast idle............?
10psi boost 9.6% fuel on full throttle ok 239 bhp.....?
turbo activator weak.........this sounds bad .....?

and this castrol valvemaster plus,lead replacment plus octane boost
should i keep using this stuff,anybody else use this gear?
or should i get some other octane booster,new to the scoobys and dont wont to kill it before i can enjoy it
Old 11 September 2006, 12:12 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

NF is the octane booster of choice, never heard of Castrol valve master... sounds more like a lead substitute lol.

Actuator weak causing low boost, it's actualy running safer that way, so not all bad.

Andy
Old 11 September 2006, 12:17 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

LOL...
A little research.....

Castrol Launch Valvemaster in Response to "Four Star" Petrol Ban

With the ban on four star leaded patrol coming into force on January 1st 2000, Castrol has launched Castrol Valvemaster, a new lead replacement fuel additive range for undleaded petrol, formulated to give owners owners of millions of cars an easy and efficient method of engine protection.

The product is available in two formats - Castrol Valvemaster and Castrol Valvemaster Plus and is supplied in 250 ml bottles, designed to treat 250 litres of unleaded fuel. Also supplied is a measuring device in order to make it easy to calculate how much additive to use - 10 ml of castrol Valvemaster treats 10 litres of unleaded fuel.

With LRP not necessarily available on all forcourts, Castrol Valvemaster means that consumers can refuel anywhere across the country. Valvemaster is also compatible with both LRP and leaded fuel, which, says Castrol, is not the case for many other additives available.

The castrol Valvemaster range is available at motor accessory retail outlets, service stations and authorised distributors of Castrol Classic Oils. (11/99)
Old 11 September 2006, 10:02 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

best bet is to forget the octane booster and use either the new shell v power or tesco 99 super.
Old 11 September 2006, 06:27 PM
bundyman
Scooby Newbie

would running without a booster do long term damage to the car? heard a lot of horror stories about doing this, already use v-power,no tesco near this neck of the woods,wot ron does the wrx 93 run on anyway, is it 100 ron when it was back in japan,and wot is v-power, is it close to the jap fuel spec,its a full time job keeping these scoobys running sweet
Old 11 September 2006, 07:00 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I have a wrx 93 (my93) I used to run it on normal supermarket crap at times. I had a knocklink and full decat and never saw higher than a green on max sensitivity on the knocklink. I believe the 100 ron fuel was a bit later in the impreza's life. A search on here and you should find that info. You car will retard the timing if it detects knock so you should be okay. Others will tell you different, but I speak from my own personal experience. My engine has done over 130k as well and is a daily driver.