95 UK Wagon - ECU Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2006, 07:19 PM
Cherad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 UK Wagon - ECU Advice Please

Hi guys n' gals,

Some years after a cheeky Megane driver wrote off my MY94 imported wagon I'm the proud owner of a '95 UK wagon (now the insurance companies will speak to me again!).

Needless to say I'm finding the UK spec a little... lazy, and looking into a bit of ECU work to get it to where I'm used to. I've just spent hours going over the ECU threads on here and am still a little baffled, what with TD04s and TD05s, Z4s, Z5s and scoobyecu's. Even Scott T's excellent posts haven't got things straight in my head!

So I'm asking the resident experts for advice on what to do with a lazy UK wagon. Since it seems the first thing to do is see what you've already got, I've had the passenger footwell carpet up and the cover plate off, presenting me with this:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/CIMG3979.jpg

I've got the four yellow plugs, which is a good start. There are three screws on the bottom there, and also on the top - can they be removed to get a look at what's inside or are they holding things together in there?

Any words of wisdom as to what would be a good replacement ECU, and whether it would require a remap for a completely standard UK wagon, would be gratefully received.
Old 28 August 2006, 09:26 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UK Wagons run a TD05 and are the same as a UK Saloon.
The V7 ECU is infact the same ECU I had in my old UK saloon.
You can plug an upgraded chip straight into the spare socket that's already soldered into the main board. Then just cut the J1 resistor.

To do this though it's best to remove the ECU from the footwell. There are 3 10mm nuts/bolts holding it in. Then some small philips screws holding the cover on the ECU. These can be quite tight to undo as they are loctited in, but a good headed screwdriver should sort it.....

PM me if you want to talk more

Last edited by Scott.T; 28 August 2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 28 August 2006, 11:22 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

You could also just plug in a Z4 or Z5 ECU in place of the V7 as these are both have maps for use with the TD05 - Both the Z4 & Z5 will raise the boost from 11.47psig (std ECU) to ~12.71psig and both have very similar maps to the Prodrive variant which has a slightly higher boost target so will give an improvement over standard

Cheers
Old 29 August 2006, 12:31 AM
Cherad
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, that's exactly the kind of "no problems at all" advice I like to hear! I hadn't come across anything saying the UK wagons ran TD05s so that helps hugely.

Scott - YHPM. If anyone has a suitable chip they have laying around and would like to sell please PM me or post here.

Thanks again Scott and Delboy.