Rocker Cover Gasket Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2006, 07:05 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Cover Gasket Confusion

Hi all,

I have a 1993 WRX that has a small oil leak from each side of the engine both on the rocker covers so i decided i was going to change the gaskets. I bought the gaskets from CamSkill for £11 each but this was not a set it turned out to be just the main gaskets.

I then looked around for gaskets for the bolt holes, sparkplug holes and half moon gaskets and found graham goode does them so rang them up and they said I needed 12 bolt hole gaskets, i think, 4 spark plug gaskets and 4 half moon gaskets. the problem is they said all in that would cost £55 odd is this right???? seems abit much for some small gaskets that totals all most £80 in gaskets just for the rocker covers????

any one know where I can get them cheaper?

cheers, Gaz
Old 13 July 2006, 07:57 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Try API or AS performance

Mark
Old 13 July 2006, 08:20 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

cheers, so I am right in thinking the quote I have is over the top?

Gaz
Old 15 July 2006, 08:11 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gaz, another thing is that the gaskets from Graham Goode will be Subaru original and the ones from Camskill most definitely NOT.

They are extremely expensive from Subaru.

You cannot mix the inners [ plug holes] and outers either. You'll find that if you measure the depth of the Camskill ones they will be thinner than the original ones Thus the rocker cover will leak even worse as it is too rigid to bend and the gasket will not be touching one side or the other.

We re-use originals wherever possible after we've lathered then in 3 bond, the Subaru approved gasket sealer. The damn rocker covers always leak on Subaru and the only way we've ever found to fix them semi permanently is as I suggest above.

Even then it doesn't always work. Just fitting all new will not always bring a good conclusion and it is such a *** to have to do it all over again that we opt for fixing it once and for-all. Hence the sticky sh+t.

Not perfect, but hey!! it's not a perfect world and we're more interested in doing the job just once. No profit in doing it twice. AND before some clever clogs joins in - we DO NOT charge for new gaskets, if we re-use the old ones.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 15 July 2006, 08:49 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

well thats screwed me up, lol.

luckily it aint leaking much at all, no drips, just some oil gunk on the edge of the covers which the oil must be weaping out of. I think i'll just give them a good clean and tighten the bolts a little bit if they seem loose.

is there a torque setting for these bolts??

how much do you do the job for?

cheers,
Gaz
Old 16 July 2006, 10:27 AM
green un
Scooby Regular

We re-use originals wherever possible after we've lathered then in 3 bond, the Subaru approved gasket sealer.

3 bond, top stuff 10 quid a tube from subaru
Old 17 July 2006, 06:17 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by GazJenno
well thats screwed me up, lol.

luckily it aint leaking much at all, no drips, just some oil gunk on the edge of the covers which the oil must be weaping out of. I think i'll just give them a good clean and tighten the bolts a little bit if they seem loose.

is there a torque setting for these bolts??

how much do you do the job for? cheers, Gaz
Gaz, not so much how much as when, We are run off our feet here and are booking non engine fit jobs in for September where possible..

Tightening the bolts is unlikely to help - in fact it may be bad, as they are shouldered bolts that do up to the shoulder and then the seals and bolt grommets, for want of a better word, are at their correct squash setting. Unless the bolt has worked loose, tightening it will probably strip a thread then you'll be in BIG trouble.

Go careful and be prepared for it to take all day, then it'll be as good as it can get.

Good luck David APi

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2006, 07:45 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

must say i always use new when rebuilding engines and they don't comeback leaking, but whilst on the subject of bodging!! you can put a washer in between the rubber seal and the head of the bolt if you know what i mean so that it pulls down slightly tighter before it shoulders out but as david said you do run the risk of stripping threads then.
Old 18 July 2006, 10:20 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

So are we being accused of ' bodging ' here??