Notices

Boost setting with FC Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2006, 02:50 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost setting with FC Commander?

how do I set the boost with my FC Commander on my 98 type R?

My mapper has the boost set at 1.35BAR which I dont really want that hi.
Old 13 July 2006, 03:35 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

isnt there 4 setting in the settings menu under boost? i think u just flick between them unless u have a boost controller seperate which i think u need for that much boost (e.g. avcr)
Old 13 July 2006, 04:28 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Apexi PFC can control boost that high as long as you are using a 3 bar map sensor. You need to fit one of these to earlier cars to allow boost over 1.1bar (or use an external method of controlling the boost as you correctly said). I used the Apexi boost control kit in conjunction with the PFC to allow boost control above 1.1bar.
Old 13 July 2006, 04:33 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

A picture paints a thousand words apparently....

Under settings/boost you will have the above menu with 4 different levels. Set the 4 different boost settings that you want to use. Then to select the level, just highlight value 1-4. You can see I am using number 4, 1.3Bar. The third column represents wastegate duty cycle and I have no idea what the 4th column represents but it's not user changeable anyway

Last edited by theotherphil; 13 July 2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 13 July 2006, 04:37 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

didnt you think to ask your mapper to turn the boost down a touch if you werent happy?
you may want to get the map looked at with your new boost threshold as if it hasnt been mapped in those load zones then you're relying on interpolation
Old 13 July 2006, 05:55 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

ur, on mine, cos i got an avcr does that mean those settings in the picture are redundant??
Old 13 July 2006, 06:04 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXshaneWRX
ur, on mine, cos i got an avcr does that mean those settings in the picture are redundant??

Yes.

Trending Topics

Old 13 July 2006, 09:18 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
didnt you think to ask your mapper to turn the boost down a touch if you werent happy?
I should have but I had only just bought the car and was none the wiser. Since the map I have heard from a few people that 1.35BAR is too hi to run a VF28.

theotherphil, thanks for your reply with the pic. I was in that boost setting before I posted but I must have done something wrong as it didnt save the setting I made to number 4.
Old 13 July 2006, 10:26 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

1.35bar is not too much for a vf28 if it's only in the midrange. You will probably find that even though the boost is set at 1.35 bar, and it will more than likely reach that figure, that it will be steadily dropping off with increasing RPM. Probably to no more than 1.2 bar by 6500RPM.

If you want to drop the boost level, scroll down to the 1.35bar setting (no4 I assume) and use the right key, it should now highlight the boost level. Use the down key to reduce the boost setpoint, and then use the right key to highlight the duty cycle. Drop it by about 2 to start with, and see what sort of peak boost you hit after a few pulls in say 4th gear.
Old 14 July 2006, 08:57 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
1.35bar is not too much for a vf28 if it's only in the midrange. You will probably find that even though the boost is set at 1.35 bar, and it will more than likely reach that figure, that it will be steadily dropping off with increasing RPM. Probably to no more than 1.2 bar by 6500RPM.

If you want to drop the boost level, scroll down to the 1.35bar setting (no4 I assume) and use the right key, it should now highlight the boost level. Use the down key to reduce the boost setpoint, and then use the right key to highlight the duty cycle. Drop it by about 2 to start with, and see what sort of peak boost you hit after a few pulls in say 4th gear.

I'm running an Apexi-PFC, set to run 1.35bar on a VF28. This is running about 64% duty IIRC.
This drops to about 1.1bar by 7,000rpm.
Old 14 July 2006, 05:17 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies. I will try mess around with it and see what happens.
Old 08 September 2006, 04:21 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PFC remembering boost settings ?

Do you have to tell the PFC to control boost ... I had external boost controller ( so PFC wasn't controlling boost and that feature may have been turned off ? ) and now currently have just OEM piping to oem 3 port solenoid.

PFC didn't seem to change boost max by that menu for me, although PFC is controlling boost to about 1 bar.

Ta

Neil
Old 09 September 2006, 11:55 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Do you have to tell the PFC to control boost ... I had external boost controller ( so PFC wasn't controlling boost and that feature may have been turned off ? ) and now currently have just OEM piping to oem 3 port solenoid.

PFC didn't seem to change boost max by that menu for me, although PFC is controlling boost to about 1 bar.

Ta

Neil

Neil, yes you do need to tell the PFC to control the boost but I can't remember where in the settings you need to do that. On the early model impreza's, the PFC can only control boost up to approx 1.1bar before you need to change the MAP sensor to read the higher boost. Above this, you will get wastegate pressure only and a CEL will illuminate. You will need the Apexi boost control kit to overcome this problem (or use a manual boost controller)
Old 11 September 2006, 10:07 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Phil

Sems the PFC is controlling boost to about 15 - 17 psi ... the only setting I can find is for turning on/off the external Apexi boost control kit, which I dont have ( so I get a CEL light ! ).

AVC-R nearly fitted now, so problem goes away!

Cheers

Neil
Old 11 September 2006, 11:31 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Neil switch the Boost control kit the other way and the light will go off.. then return it once AVC-R installed.

Depending what map sensor you have plugged in it should control the boost to 1bar max..

Simon