Notices

I GOT THE BUS TO WORK TODAY

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2006, 07:54 AM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I GOT THE BUS TO WORK TODAY

Because there is an expensive knocking coming from the engine block...nearside. not sure if its in the head or the block itself.
Anyone have a how to on removing the motor without the use of expensive garage tools? can you belive i just sold an engine hoist and quit renting a garage/unit cause i thought i would'nt need them any more...i used to have it cause i used it whilst i owned land rover based motors!!! Now im reduced to work in the road!!!

AAArrrrgghhhhh!!!....
Old 10 July 2006, 08:15 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gazberwick
Anyone have a how to on removing the motor without the use of expensive garage tools?
1) Park the car over a deep hole.
2) Remove the bellhousing bolts.
3) Unplug the engine loom.
4) Disconnect the live feed to the alternator.
5) Disconnect all hoses.
6) Carefully loosen the sub frame bolts until the engine drops down the hole.

By the way I'm pulling your leg!

You'll need an engine hoist (if you've got somewhere to mount it) or engine crane and a large tin of NO#5 elbow grease... Cranes are pretty cheap.. It helps that the EJ20 block is piddly so you dont need a heavy duty item.
Old 10 July 2006, 02:13 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Hmm... thanks for that!!?

I cant get a hoist to it....and im prob going to strip the ancillaries off and lift it out with a mate and our bare hands. I did a landrover this way once...allbeit without the head attached!!

But by what you say , the engine comes up and out and not down and out!!?

Thats cool ....cheers!!

Where is the best place to buy replacement (forged) internals?

Cheers!!
Old 10 July 2006, 02:25 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Up and out, unbolt it from the gearbox then unbolt the mounts from the subframe..

Taking it out the bottom is a lot harder as the rack and subframe are in the way.
Old 10 July 2006, 04:59 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Cheers!!
Old 10 July 2006, 08:01 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

It's also very difficult to lift out or in by hand because the engine sits very low, needs to lifted over the body work and is always stuck to the gearbox with aluminuim oxide.

Is your mate called Guy and does he like bananas?

I'd hire a hoist for the day, much quicker and safer. If the big ends gone spending £30 hiring a hoist is between 1% and 5% of the total cost of a likely repair.

If you're looking for cheap internals then try the States or Fleabay, if you want sound advice then any one of a number of companies on here can help, API, ZEN, Lateral or Conrad at the Racing Line is based in Yorkshire I believe.

Mark

Last edited by Mark A; 10 July 2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11 August 2006, 12:57 AM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

any one got an engine for sale?...im gonna stick one in and then rebuild mine with forged parts...unless you have a better suggestion? Anyone?
Old 11 August 2006, 11:13 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

jaseon at scoobybits should have one
Old 11 August 2006, 01:39 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

scoobybits said they would only supply and fit!! not supply only?
I questioned them about this and they said because too many people fit them wrong and then kill the engine....I mentioned im handy with a socket set but no response yet....wierd as they were happy to supply 4pot calipers to me...i reckon they should be more cautious about supplying brake parts to individuals then they are about engines after all if you install and engine wrong it might kill itself...if you install brake components incorrectly it could potentionally kill somebody.
Old 11 August 2006, 03:22 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

yes but what if you bugger the engine and try to blame Jase for selling you a duff one?
Jase is sound as a pound, and twice as heavy
Old 16 August 2006, 02:47 PM
gazberwick
Scooby Regular

Default I'd just rather fit my own engine. Is there anything wrong with that?

I have no problem with scoobybits! let me make that clear first. I bought from them in the past and was happy with the service. Now i want to buy and install an engine.....im more than capable of the task....done engine swaps in the past....i even used to put V8's in various cars for fun. I dont want to pay for a service i can perform myself, its as simple as that after all would many people want to pay someone for doing a task that they know they are capable of?? say refitting a light-bulb? If the policy of scoobybits is to supply and fit only then fine....i go elsewhere no problem and certainly no bad feeling i just find it a bit hard to understand after all they could a) show me an engine in a car running and sell me that engine or even on a test bed/stand...i dunno but it doesnt really matter as sooner or later im gonna get what i want.....just might have to wait a while. Even if they fitted a motor for me there is a small chance that after say a week or some other small space of time the motor may die ......its a chance you have to take with S/H motors.....so what warranty do we think they will give on a used engine?? not a great deal...food for thought.
Scoobybits if you read this please dont think im doubting your products at all far from it , im sure there is plenty on your shelf that will end up on my car a some point....I'd just rather fit my own engine.

Cheers.
Old 16 August 2006, 07:19 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I understand, I was simply offering a possible explanation as to why he may have said "supply and fit only"?