Notices

Bringing boost in quicker??

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2006, 08:01 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing boost in quicker??

Recently i found a split in the wastegate actuator pipe (one going to boost solenoid). I cut it back but removed the little joint nipple that sits inside the pipe (joining a short pipe from t-piece,to a long pipe to boost solenoid). After that it seemed that the car pulled really well. Am i right in saying that because there is no restriction in the pipe anymore i am bleeding away the air quicker from the wastgate therefore bringing the boost on quicker?. I've just fitted a boost gauge and noticed i was hitting 1.3bar peak and dropping to 1.1bar. The only thing was if i went into 4th or 5th under heavy load (going up hill) i was hitting 1.4bar !!! I decided to put the little joint nipple back on the pipe (just re-split it and inserted it), now i get 1.3bar peak under load, 1.2bar normal running. Is this because the 2 port solenoid is slow reacting and therefore can't control the boost spikes unless the bleeding of the air from the wastgate is maintained at a steady rate?? (ie joint nipple in place). One thing was that it felt to pull like a train. Just not sure if it's safe to be hitting 1.4bar too often

Car is Bugeye with ppp
Old 28 June 2006, 08:12 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

Location: Still loving the Subaru but now in an Evo 8 MR FQ320

Are you running standard internals.
Old 28 June 2006, 08:18 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

The car is standard apart from the ppp. If it helps, i never hit fuel cut!!!
Maybe the gauge isn't 100% accurate, it's only a cheap one.
Old 28 June 2006, 08:29 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

I would have thought at 1.4bar you should be hitting the fuel cut out unless the fuelling has been set up for this. Simple solution if your not happy running that much boost buy a manual boost controller for about £30. These fit apparently between your wastegate and your actuator and then u can tone the boost down. If you are running 1.4bar on standard internals , I don't think your pistons will like it much.

James

I'm sure someone will correct me if im wrong as im only still learning myself.
Old 28 June 2006, 08:50 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

Cheers James,

I was a little suprised when i saw the gauge go to 1.4bar and then settle to 1.1bar (at the time i was in 4th going up a slight hill at fairly low revs). Once i put the joint nipple back in i tried to create the same scenario, this time it peaked at 1.3 bar but soon settled back to around 1.1bar once the car was rolling. One thing that i did find was that without the little joint nipple the car was awesome (i just seemed to get the boost alot earlier and it came in alot harder). I could even get away with changing from 2nd to 3rd at around 5000rpm with no lag or hesitation. Now i would love it if my car could run like this all the time, i'm just not sure if it'd be kind to it. I wonder how many people out there have renewed there wastegate pipes and not put back in the joint nipple, it'd be interesting to hear from anyone who has.
I read on another thread about some people in america using bigger diameter boost solenoid pipes to give more grunt.
Any idea why subaru have used this little joint nipple? It seems silly when you look at the t-piece, you have a short length of pipe-----joint nipple-----longth length of pipe------boost solenoid.....................why not just one straight through pipe ???

Mark
Old 28 June 2006, 09:07 PM
jamesbWRXRA
Scooby Regular

I just had problems with my car where the actuator was jammed open basically letting the boost give it every thing the turbo could take. It was funny for about 2 mins where the car felt it was getting to 60 in about 3 seconds lol.Then major worry about braking pistons lol. Cars in garage now getting sorted and also getting an overheating problem sorted. Good luck with your car mate.

James
Old 28 June 2006, 09:10 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. Hope yours is sorted soon

Mark

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2006, 12:32 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My MY95 UK saloon runs 1.45Bar peak dropping to 1.35Bar on standard internals. My car has been mapped for that though. I am not sure what the standard boost setting is on the ppp but it is best to leave the brass restrictor in place as this is how the car was setup. Running extra boost with no change in the fueling/ timing could indeed melt pistons etc.
Old 29 June 2006, 07:55 AM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

I haven't actually touched the brass restrictor. There is a little joint nipple on the pipe coming from the wastegate to the boost solenoid. It was this i removed. I'll take a picture tonight and show you
Old 29 June 2006, 08:11 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

I'm running 1.45Bar peak, but mine is mapped for this...
Old 29 June 2006, 10:33 AM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

Any idea what the boost should be running on a recently fitted ppp my02 wrx

cheers