Notices

Rite,starting to get me head round mapping...

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 09:07 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rite,starting to get me head round mapping...

Basically, as far as my understanding can go, you can keep the standard ecu of an my95 and change a chip in there that is then mappable to any fuel, rite ?

or, change the standard ecu for an apexi oe that can be mapped/tweaked to ya hearts content, rite ?

so, to do the 1st one your looking at a "scoobyecu" chip and map at around £500, or around £800 for the other.

SO, why on good old ebay do i see chips already mapped to certain fuel goinf for like £190 and all you have to do is plug em in and the map has laready been done and away you go, saving like, £300 ????

or am i missing something ? (probably)

cheers......
Old 31 May 2006, 09:30 PM
scoobykevuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

second option gives you much much more to play with.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:34 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

The scoobyecu should come preprogrammed I believe. Not sure about the costs you have mentioned tho.

Speak to AndyF about the Apexi. I have one, mapped by Andy on my MY98 WRX. You can map it yourself but if you dont know what youre doing then it could be problem time.

www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk

£800 should be all in for the Apexi.

PFC, Commander and mapping session.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:44 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

im not too bothered about fancy this n that via mapping, just want it mapped to regular unleaded like the uk turbos......
Old 31 May 2006, 09:46 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

If thats the case, do some searches and find the info about scoobyecu's.

I think that the UK fuel (and a little more boost) was the main reason for them anyway.
Old 31 May 2006, 09:52 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chips on Ebay are generic to an extent, depending on the supplier (i.e some supply just one-map-fits-all, some supply model-by-model maps, some supply a map based on an australian Legacy, hence why the CEL light illuminates).

They are genrally setup for exhaust and filter changes with timing/fuelling set to safe but good performing limits (I can't vouch for every supplier on this one). Some people have been quoted as saying that it was the best mod they made for the money, even at £200 - £300

You can get these custom mapped at places like PE (who are not that keen on the early ECU), ScoobyClinic (who are) or Zen (I think).
But a custom map will only be a marginal improvement over the generic one if your mods are as described above.
The extra financial outlay at this stage IMHO is not worth the minimal gain in performance.

If your mods are more serious i.e bigger turbo, uprated map sensor, uprated injectors etc..etc... the old technology used in the standard ECU becomes a little more difficult to work with (unless the mapper has built his own bespoke emulator).
In this case an after market ECU such as an Apexi or Autronics etc...etc.... is a much more viable option.

Put it this way....I have mapped with ScoobyECU adaptors and single chip conversions and now run an Apexi Power FC.

The Power FC is a great tool and allows live cell-by-cell mapping (which even ECUTEK doesn't do) and considering the limited LCD display still gives good feedback.

If your mods are going to move on from just Exhaust/Filter then an Apexi or equivalent is the way to go and certainly worth the money.
Old 31 May 2006, 10:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers, only mods are air filter and zorst, but will prob go back to standard air filter as dont want MAF issues, like i said, the standard power of the 95 wrx is enuff for me, for now LOL, so will just want a map for regular unleaded.

my main query was places charge £500 for the scoobyecu and map to regular, whereas on ebay, the ECL,think it is equvalant is £195 (albeit mapped for super) and quick to install,so why the extra £300,is that pure profit ? or do the already mapped equivalents still need tweaking even tho they say "plug n play" etc ?

cheers again.......
Old 31 May 2006, 10:44 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Profit plus facility/insurance overheads.
I'm not saying everyone does this, but from my own experience when I was tied into using ECUTEK, they will just put an off-shelf map in and do very minor tweaks to suite. It's suprising how this can soon eat up 2 hours mapping time at £90 - £125 + VAT per hour.