Notices

I'm sooooooo confused... HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 09:03 PM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm sooooooo confused... HELP PLEASE!!

Right,

This is the problem. I took my scooby to prosport last week and was chatting to Pete, who suggested that I should get a decat up-pipe. Now here is where I am confused and need everyones expert advice. I have searched on here and there seem to be so many different views / answers that now I really don't know anymore what I'm doing.

Ok, here are the details.

1.) My car is a MY03 WRX with PPP fitted.
2.) As far as I know, this means that it has a centre de-cat (due to the PPP mod) as well as a prodrive back box, an uprated fuel pipe and a PPP ECU.
3.) I also have a STI panel filter on.

4.) Pete suggested that I get a decat up-pipe and get that heat wrapped.
5.) At the same time, he suggested that I get a blank ECU and get it re-mapped after the decat up-pipe.

Now my questions are as follows:

1.) Why am I doing a decat up-pipe rather than a decat down-pipe? Appart from that's what I've been advised by Pete. Is there a difference? Is a decat up-pipe better than getting the down pipe done?
2.) Do I really need a remap at this stage or can I get the up-pipe decated and get the remap done later (without the risk of damaging my car due to fuel cut etc,....).
3.) If the up-pipe is heat wrapped, is it effective knowing that the down pipe isn't.
4.) What ECU should I buy so that I can sell my PPP ECU and Pete can remap the new ECU?
5.) Where can I buy this ECU from?

I also got told that he wouldn't modify the car anymore than that as it would be a waste of time (and I respect him for telling me that) so this will probably be my last mod.

Sorry for all the questions, but I seem to be going no-where and can't seem to get a consistant answer to this.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 29 May 2006, 09:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

the up pipes are quite restricitive I think on the newer cars. If you dec cated the downpipe then you would fail the emmision come mot time so that is probably the reason for that.

To be honest you will probably want to mod the car more, there isnt any reason why not to. Pete told me not to mod my car (ignored his advice, best thing I did to be honest as it has improved it loads) however my car is an old import though so he was probably cautioning on the safe side which i appreciated. (but if my engine goes, it is an excuse to go more power)

Cant answer the ecu question, I thought that it could be remapped as is, however sure there are plenty of people who would buy it from you
Old 29 May 2006, 11:11 PM
scooter(WRX03 PPP)
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
the up pipes are quite restricitive I think on the newer cars. If you dec cated the downpipe then you would fail the emmision come mot time so that is probably the reason for that.

To be honest you will probably want to mod the car more, there isnt any reason why not to. Pete told me not to mod my car (ignored his advice, best thing I did to be honest as it has improved it loads) however my car is an old import though so he was probably cautioning on the safe side which i appreciated. (but if my engine goes, it is an excuse to go more power)

Cant answer the ecu question, I thought that it could be remapped as is, however sure there are plenty of people who would buy it from you
What other mods did you do?
Old 30 May 2006, 01:01 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I fitted a full exhaust including decat downpipe, apexi induction kit (already fitted) and a power fc, only mild mods but the car is totally transformed from standard with better economy when not being hammered as well. Mine though is an my92/93