Notices

Gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2006, 09:58 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge question

I have done a search and read some interesting threads regarding gauge sets, but some posts are so old the pictures are no longer displayed.

I'm looking for a set of gauges (oil temp & pressure, boost) for an MY06 STI. I have a seen a pic (for the life of me I can't remember where ) of a set of gauges sitting in a pod that sits on top of the dash in the centre section where the digital clock sits. The pod looked real nice and as if it were part of the dash from day one.

Can anyone help me in looking for these or similar set of gauges. I can't have a DIN slot pod as I have a double DIN DVD player ready to replace the OE headunit so the gauges must sit elsewhere but look neat and tidy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Liam

Last edited by white; 16 April 2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 16 April 2006, 10:55 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a look at Graham goode racing, scooby clinic. Surf the web to find m8 I've got a pod from GGR on my bugeye holds three gauges and the clock. If I get chance will take pics and post tomorrow.
Old 16 April 2006, 11:56 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
Have a look at Graham goode racing, scooby clinic. Surf the web to find m8 I've got a pod from GGR on my bugeye holds three gauges and the clock. If I get chance will take pics and post tomorrow.
Cheers mate, thanks.

I'd appreciate any pics you have
Old 17 April 2006, 12:42 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

As it happens I had one of these in a new age........
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=500058

I'm not using it as I have switched to a defi style one instead. I tried this as I really wanted to keep the clock. I hate not having one in the car. Fortunately I have an option of having the clock displayed on the stereo as well as current tracks etc.
Old 17 April 2006, 10:57 AM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tuts
As it happens I had one of these in a new age........
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=500058

I'm not using it as I have switched to a defi style one instead. I tried this as I really wanted to keep the clock. I hate not having one in the car. Fortunately I have an option of having the clock displayed on the stereo as well as current tracks etc.
I like that a lot. Looks like an OE piece of kit IMO.

I'm not particularly bothered about keeping the clock as I have one displayed on the DVD headunit I'll be putting in.

Do you have any pics of the pod you switched too just for me to compare?

Did you manage to sell that GGR pod as well??
Old 17 April 2006, 11:59 AM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

The ggr one is still for sale.
This is the defi copy I fitted.

Word of warning though, most of the defi copies like this are fibreglass and rough as a bears ****. I spent ages filling and sanding to get it smooth. Then getting a paint match wasn't fun either and it still isn't perfect.

You might find one that is prepainted, mine was but i wasn't happy with the quality. Then there is the fitting, there is no way to screw it in. You have to use silicon or something similar.

Even the proper defi one is unpainted although that clips in place I believe(never seen one). The ggr was pre painted and is made of plastic. It has 2 clips and 2 screws that go into the plastic that held the clock in place so there is no cosmetic damage.

After seeing numerous aftermarket pods I realised this one is really well designed, but the wife wasn't keen so went for the above one instead.

I know this sounds biased as obviously I want to sell it lol!!

If you look at the third pic you can see a very small chip in the paint near the clock. It came like this. It was on the car for about 3 days. You can tell it has been used inside as you can see where the gauges were fitted but externally it is fine.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 17 April 2006, 03:05 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Tuts, excellent reply mate, thanks a lot. Really appreciate you taking the time

You've swayed me towards the GGR I think. Did GGR connect up your gauges as well? If so, how much was the total cost if you don't mind me asking.

Am I right in assuming that the gauges come with the required sensor or does that have to be bought separately. Am I also right in assuming that you have to buy the Defi control unit in order for the gauges to function??

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2006, 07:26 PM
Tuts
Scooby Regular

I didn't fit defi gauges. I bought stealth2 gauges from gaugeplace.com and the service was excellent. There is no control unit, each gauge has its own sender that comes with it. They are all fully electronic and do a full opening sweep on start up. They aren't too hard to fit either. I bought the ggr pod online and fitted it myself. The link for the site is with my pics of the pod. The missus hated it and we agreed I could keep the gauges if i changed the pod(How under the thumb does that sound!). Hence why mine is now for sale!

The stealth2 gauges are 52mm and fit straight into the pod. Defi gauges are 60mm I think. You just unclip your clock and clip it into the ggr pod. Then unclip the alarm led and clip that in place, then fit your gauges. The cabling is fairly easy too. Do a search there are plenty of guides on here about how to do it.