Notices

Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 11:07 PM
CHOONS!!!
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil change

I would like to do an oil change and filter on my 93 scooby. Has anyone got any tips for me please? It is my 1st Scooby and i'd like to get it right
Also,what is the best oil for me to use?

Thank-you please!
Old 12 April 2006, 11:23 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

The filter can be a bugger to get out. get a filter wrench. There isnt a lot of room for you hand to get a good grip. When you put in the new filter oil the seal with clean oil and put it in with your hand as tight as you can. It wont leak and you will be able to get it out next time. Oil change do it warm and with the car on the flat. The sump plug is on the bottom so you will see it if you lay on the ground. when you remove the filter oil is gonna try and hit you face. If its hot its not nice and you might bang your head. Other than that its childs play.
Old 12 April 2006, 11:33 PM
wrxcar
Scooby Regular

take it to a garage and let them do it it does not cost a lot for a oil change and it saves rolling around on your back in the cold
garages are always more helpful if you let them supply the oil and filter
make sure it,s a subaru filter and use a 10w40 fully syn motul or somin like that i would expect to pay half a hours labour at any garage for a oil change hope this helps
Old 13 April 2006, 12:14 AM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

The reason i own a scoob is for my hobby which is machines. If you wanna take your car to a garage for the basics thats fine. I preffer to do it myself. Yes i lie on my back in the cold. Every time i lift the bonnet it rains and at the best i have 4 knuckles with skin on them!
Old 13 April 2006, 12:37 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my first oil change on the Scoob. Filter wrench was no good at all, it just kept spinning cos I couldn't really get a decent angle on it, so in the end it was the old club hammer and sharp screwdriver trick. Banged it all the way through, gave it a whack and it unscrewed fine.
Old 13 April 2006, 12:40 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

wait for pissy with his guide
Old 13 April 2006, 03:18 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Courtesy of PS Lewis:

1. Remove Oil Filler Cap, 'gently' - take at least 5 minutes or the threads will strip and the exhaust will fall off in a weeks time.

2. Carefully jack up the front of car, make sure that only the 'special' car jacking points are used or the steering wheel will be upside down next time you see it (the special jack points are only known to a select few, not the main dealers!)

3. Locate the Sump Plug, do this using an Inspection Lamp with a 100W bulb - do not, under any circumstances, use a bulb of lower wattage or the splash cover under the engine will melt and pieces will be sucked up into the MAF and then immediate engine failure will occur.

4. Undo Sump Plug whilst humming 'Oil Be Home For Xmas' - do NOT sing any other song or the Radio will never tune into any local stations again and the aerial will need to be replaced at the next service.

5. Allow Oil to drain into a Tupperware Perspex Jug - use only perspex as other plastics react with the old oil and particles travel back through the draining oil and attack the Big-End Bearings.

6. Whilst Oil is draining run around car 15 times in a Morris Dancing Outfit with the special Subaru bells attached to shoes.

7. Remove Oil Filter by unscrewing anti-clockwise 5 times, then clockwise 2 times, continue until filter is free ..... failure to do this will result in the new Filter not filling up with Oil on start-up.

8. Fill Oil Filter with Oil and screw new Oil Filter on and replace Sump Plug - there is some discussion about the order that these need to be replaced, many an evening in a B.O. smelling corner of a dark pub has been spent mulling over the merits of both choices ..... there is a 'special' way, but we are not sure what it is yet.

9. Start filling the engine with Oil - Synthetic only please!! and of course, Subarus need 'special' Oil - Mobil made a 'special' Oil just for us!!

10. Now it gets complicated, the engine start procedure ...... remove the spark plugs, coil packs and battery - remove the seats and rear boot/tailgate - ensure Octane Booster is removed from tank as it might spontaneously start the car when you are not ready - take the drive belts off - turn engine over, s....l....o....w....l....y - engine should be turned over at least 67 times to ensure adequate Oil film coverage.

11. Return all components and start engine whilst whistling the theme tune to TITANIC ................ if you are VERY lucky the engine will not shoot a con-rod through the block (this normally happens to MY96 cars which are MicaPink in colour) - but ALL Model Years can be affected equally as bad.

12. If the engine started without any problems, then don't be smug as the MAF sensor will blow up your engine within 3 days in any case!!!!!
Old 13 April 2006, 04:23 PM
hawko
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Courtesy of PS Lewis:

1. Remove Oil Filler Cap, 'gently' - take at least 5 minutes or the threads will strip and the exhaust will fall off in a weeks time.

2. Carefully jack up the front of car, make sure that only the 'special' car jacking points are used or the steering wheel will be upside down next time you see it (the special jack points are only known to a select few, not the main dealers!)

3. Locate the Sump Plug, do this using an Inspection Lamp with a 100W bulb - do not, under any circumstances, use a bulb of lower wattage or the splash cover under the engine will melt and pieces will be sucked up into the MAF and then immediate engine failure will occur.

4. Undo Sump Plug whilst humming 'Oil Be Home For Xmas' - do NOT sing any other song or the Radio will never tune into any local stations again and the aerial will need to be replaced at the next service.

5. Allow Oil to drain into a Tupperware Perspex Jug - use only perspex as other plastics react with the old oil and particles travel back through the draining oil and attack the Big-End Bearings.

6. Whilst Oil is draining run around car 15 times in a Morris Dancing Outfit with the special Subaru bells attached to shoes.

7. Remove Oil Filter by unscrewing anti-clockwise 5 times, then clockwise 2 times, continue until filter is free ..... failure to do this will result in the new Filter not filling up with Oil on start-up.

8. Fill Oil Filter with Oil and screw new Oil Filter on and replace Sump Plug - there is some discussion about the order that these need to be replaced, many an evening in a B.O. smelling corner of a dark pub has been spent mulling over the merits of both choices ..... there is a 'special' way, but we are not sure what it is yet.

9. Start filling the engine with Oil - Synthetic only please!! and of course, Subarus need 'special' Oil - Mobil made a 'special' Oil just for us!!

10. Now it gets complicated, the engine start procedure ...... remove the spark plugs, coil packs and battery - remove the seats and rear boot/tailgate - ensure Octane Booster is removed from tank as it might spontaneously start the car when you are not ready - take the drive belts off - turn engine over, s....l....o....w....l....y - engine should be turned over at least 67 times to ensure adequate Oil film coverage.

11. Return all components and start engine whilst whistling the theme tune to TITANIC ................ if you are VERY lucky the engine will not shoot a con-rod through the block (this normally happens to MY96 cars which are MicaPink in colour) - but ALL Model Years can be affected equally as bad.

12. If the engine started without any problems, then don't be smug as the MAF sensor will blow up your engine within 3 days in any case!!!!!
Old 13 April 2006, 04:39 PM
fieldy
Scooby Regular

"rossyboy" think ive just wet myself , broke a rib and felt a few tears run down my cheek in less than 3 minutes. EXCELLENT, pmsl
Old 13 April 2006, 05:58 PM
mitchster26
Scooby Regular

Courtesy of PS Lewis:

Wicked
Old 13 April 2006, 09:07 PM
dadoc
Scooby Regular

brilliant excuse my ignorance but who is p.s lewis and where is he/she gone
Old 13 April 2006, 09:52 PM
neonfury
Scooby Regular

Courtesy of PS Lewis:

Classic, nuff said...
Old 13 April 2006, 10:17 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

I was gonna post the hammer and srewdriver method but i didnt want to get the blame for you ripping the top from the filter and the base still been screwed in. Congrats on the job.