Notices

Turbo Gauge Frozen AND Stuttering on Boost.

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 09:02 PM
nunners
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Gauge Frozen AND Stuttering on Boost.

Hi,

I have a '95 WRX Wagon. This has an after market blitz turbo gauge. The gauge sits on '0' (zero) when the engine is NOT running and minus something when the engine is running but not under load. When you are putting the engine under load the gauge normally reads around 0.7 bar (i think thats the scale).

However, yesterday the gauge went a little mad and flapped around for bit before settling on zero permanently. When i accelerate the turbo starts to spool up and then stops causing the car to jolt as if the car is suddenly de-accelerating. Also the 'Check Engine' light has come on the dash and does not disappear.

Does this sound like its over boosting or is the turbo waste gate (or something) similar jammed open?

Please help and bear in mind that i am a complete novice with the technical stuff.

Thanks, Matt
Old 12 April 2006, 09:57 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

im not really any expert either mate.. but might be worth checking for leaks.. if theres a leak on an intercooler pipe or something then there will be a loss of boost.. If the check engine lights come on i'd take it to a garage personally.. But if you do a search on here i believe someone went through how to manually read the fault codes on the car.. This would tell you why the check engine light is on and more than likely identify the problem..
Hopefully someone on here will be able to shed more light on this though..
Old 13 April 2006, 12:24 AM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

If the car is over boosting its most likely the wastegate solenoid or actuator.
If there is a leak in the system that goes to the boost guage then this is a "T" off the connection to the wastegate solenoid.
Old 13 April 2006, 08:14 AM
nunners
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks,

I have the link to read the engine codes, I'll do this and then check the wastegate solenoid.

Many thanks,